News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Voted

Started by SGOS, September 23, 2020, 08:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 21, 2020, 02:37:26 PM
We voted today around noon at a polling location within walking distance of our house. Everyone was wearing masks and maintaining social distance. There wasn't a single person outside the polling area asking to vote for a candidate or handing out flyers, which is unusual. The entire process took 30 minutes.
It's odd that my post office is the one public place I feel safe in.  It's empty 90 percent of the time, but it's the one place people take time to put on their masks before they go in.  Here we have a Federal building where people take precautions, when the leaders of our Federal Government tell everyone to do the opposite.  The same with other government run venues.  It doesn't surprise me that a lot of polling places are like that.  Mine was not, and I thought they were trying to show the Trumpets they weren't buying in to science and medical experts.  But then my neighbors went there a couple of days before me, and they didn't experience the same environment.

My underpopulated county now has as many Covid deaths as four counties around me combined, all of which are more populated, and two of which have population densities 20 times larger than mine.  But this is redneck country.  Who's afraid of a little bitty bug that's too small to see?  And my pickup is so high off the ground the creepy crawlers can't even get up into my cab anyway, and when they do, I'm just gona' stomp on 'em.

Baruch

The death of White folks of any type helps you at election time ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

>60,000,000 US ballots have been cast as of last night. That's over 20% of the whole public. (Don't know about the eligible pop.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 24, 2020, 08:59:54 AM
>60,000,000 US ballots have been cast as of last night. That's over 20% of the whole public. (Don't know about the eligible pop.)
I'm continually surprised at how many people vote by mail, even among my friends.  I've always lived in places where enough polling places existed that I never had to drive far or wait in line long.  I'm wondering if our polling infrastructure is not keeping pace with demand.  It's actually somewhat hard for me to imagine waiting in line for more than 5 minutes, and those rare 5 minute waits I have endured felt excessive. Voting is a right, although some say it's an obligation.  But it should not be a chore.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 24, 2020, 08:59:54 AM

Even with just legitimate ballots cast, this might be a very good election (higher percentage voting).  Of course, there were neo-Nazis at the Post Office burning all these ballots (they look like Israeli ballots) so they will never be counted ... bwahah.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 24, 2020, 09:38:01 AM
I'm continually surprised at how many people vote by mail, even among my friends.  I've always lived in places where enough polling places existed that I never had to drive far or wait in line long.  I'm wondering if our polling infrastructure is not keeping pace with demand.  It's actually somewhat hard for me to imagine waiting in line for more than 5 minutes, and those rare 5 minute waits I have endured felt excessive. Voting is a right, although some say it's an obligation.  But it should not be a chore.

Completely agree.  Any legitimate ballot by any legitimate voter can be done by mail.  No need to all stand in line on one particular day, the Internet is now 25 years old!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I've been by my polling place several times since voting because there's a park nearby and every single time I've been there, the parking lot (100+ spaces) is packed and 2-3 cars are always dropping off their ballots.  They must keep the line moving at a steady pace because I never see the line back up very far.  Probably <1 hour.

A lot of early voting going on, by my rough guesstimation.

But you don't need to take my word for it, the stats bear it out: about 40% of NC voters have already voted (2.1 million early voters + 750,000 mail-in ballots = 2.85 million voters out of 7.3 million, a little over 39%).  And there's still about a week of early voting left.

And there's high turnout for early voting across the country, in some places even surpassing the 2016 grand totals.

QuoteAnalysts said the still sizable Democratic turnout puts extra pressure on the Republican Party to push its voters out in the final week and, especially, on Nov. 3. That’s especially clear in closely contested states such as Florida, Nevada and North Carolina.

“This is a glass half-full, glass half-empty situation,” said John Couvillon, a Republican pollster who tracks early voting closely. “They’re showing up more,” he added, but “Republicans need to rapidly narrow that gap.”

QuoteTrump’s campaign has been pushing its voters to cast ballots early, but with limited success, delighting Democrats. “We see the Trump campaign, the RNC (Republican National Committee) and their state parties urging Trump’s supporters to vote by mail while the president’s Twitter account says it’s a fraud,”

Quote“At some point, Republicans have to vote,” said Michael McDonald, a University of Florida political scientist who tracks early voting on ElectProject.org. “You can’t force everyone through a vote center on Election Day. Are you going to expect all those Republicans to stand in line for eight hours?”

trdsf

I voted Friday morning.  At 9:30am, the line was already half a mile long (I measured it later on Google Maps).  And it only took an hour to get through the line and vote.  My fellow citizens handled the line with good humor.

I love this city.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm actually going to go to the polls.  I'm eager to find out if I voted already.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on October 26, 2020, 10:32:29 PM
I'm actually going to go to the polls.  I'm eager to find out if I voted already.

How do you know you are the original?  Given the mad science of the CIA you might not only have an identical twin your parent's didn't tell you about, but you might be the clone.  Clone world ;-)

This is an actual thing ... with IRS refunds in the Spring.  For several years now there has been a rash of false claims of refund because of people stealing other people's ID.  Then when you come in late and claim your refund you find it has already been claimed ;-)

"'Compton Cowboys' deliver ballots on horseback" ... Buffalo soldiers ride again ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"BALLOT BOXES ARE BEING BURNED INTENTIONALLY, DEMOCRATS HAVE COMPROMISED OUR ELECTIONS" .. Boston fake Indians at it again
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on October 26, 2020, 03:51:54 AM
I voted Friday morning.  At 9:30am, the line was already half a mile long (I measured it later on Google Maps).  And it only took an hour to get through the line and vote.  My fellow citizens handled the line with good humor.

I love this city.
An hour?  That's unacceptable to me.  I guess it's all relative.  Voting is easy here, but getting a guy with a backhoe to show up, now that's hard.  It can take months.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 28, 2020, 04:26:49 AM
An hour?  That's unacceptable to me.  I guess it's all relative.  Voting is easy here, but getting a guy with a backhoe to show up, now that's hard.  It can take months.

Bring in 50 million Mexicans with shovels ;-)

"By registered party, the split is 26.7% of Democrats vs. 16.1% of Republicans and 55.8% of independents." ... of course not all registered voters vote, not all people are registered and not all voting is done legally.  But that is what we always do.  This year is different, in that one party has been using black shirts to destroy their own country (so that the usual suspects can buy up prime downtown locations real cheap).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"American astronaut casts ballot from space" ... no BLM up there
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

If you vote in person today, please take care!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.