News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Voted

Started by SGOS, September 23, 2020, 08:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I went to the county court house.  One person was ahead of me.  Friends tipped me off about this.  They had voted a few days earlier and told me everyone was wearing a mask and it was easy.  But when I went, no one except me wore a mask, and there were a couple of people there just hanging out, serving no function, just sitting there defiantly without masks.  They formed a narrow, but short gauntlet.  But woting was easy.  I filled in the dots, and fed my ballot into a machine and it was gone.  But in my county voting in November at a polling place would have been about the same, maybe 3 people ahead of me.  I did send for an absentee ballot, but I wasn't sure the Post Office would deliver it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 23, 2020, 08:14:26 AM
I went to the county court house.  One person was ahead of me.  Friends tipped me off about this.  They had voted a few days earlier and told me everyone was wearing a mask and it was easy.  But when I went, no one except me wore a mask, and there were a couple of people there just hanging out, serving no function, just sitting there defiantly without masks.  The formed a narrow, but short gauntlet.  But woting was easy.  I filled in the dots, and fed my ballot into a machine and it was gone.  But in my county voting in November at a polling place would have been about the same, maybe 3 people ahead of me.  I did send for an absentee ballot, but I wasn't sure the Post Office would deliver it.
I applaud you!  I have voted absentee for over a decade now.  But like you, I don't trust the mail, so I will hand carry my ballot to the courthouse.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

What no Einsatzgruppen? ;-)  I have never met with Red Guards when I voted ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"If you think voting doesn't change anything it's probably best that you don't vote."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Oops, I dropped a sheet detailing what to do if you encounter instances of voter intimidation at your polling site, including a hotline.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 07, 2020, 02:07:44 AM
Oops, I dropped a sheet detailing what to do if you encounter instances of voter intimidation at your polling site, including a hotline.

Have never seen that myself.  Hope no one does.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I voted early.

First off, the place was packed.  Somewhere between 100-200 parked cars, hard to find a parking spot.

I walked down the narrow, heavily-trafficked sidewalk to the polling place while decked out in ppe.  I guess that stuff messes with my peripheral vision or maybe I was just too preoccupied to notice, but some weird guy in a chair practically jumped out at me.  Shocked me for a second.  He was some Libertarian guy, I'm sure he meant well, but he sure as hell didn't make a good first impression.  He seemed pretty desperate for me to take his voter guide, and I had to tell him no twice, slightly louder and firmer and less polite the second time.  He seemed kinda frustrated, probably didn't have a high batting average with his weird, pushy approach.

As I got closer to the polling place, there were two booths - one Republican, one Democrat - with all sorts of stationary.  There was a small line (4 people) for the Democrats and both workers seemed to be in good spirits and were friendly and engaged when I came up to them.  The Republicans didn't have anyone waiting at their booth and seemed kinda listless - one was sitting down on the phone and the other was an ol' southern lady slowly pacing back and forth.  Given NC's sizeable red population, I'm sure some people came up to them, just not while I was there.

As I got closer, there was some small-time candidate personally greeting people and asking for votes.

By the way, everybody there was wearing masks, even the Republicans.  Good on them.  Technically, masks were merely recommended and not required - election officials don't have the power to turn away anyone without a mask.  Fortunately, everyone there seemed to understand the risk and wore them anyway.

I got my ballot, filled it out, and had the immense satisfaction of dropping it in and watching the counter tick upwards.  The whole process took a little over an hour, about twice what I experienced during the primary.

Mike Cl

Love the CA voting system.  Absentee voting has been allowed for over a decade now.  Never any problems with the mail.  I get my ballot generally a month prior to the election date, and usually have the ballot in the mail within two days.  This year it was the same, except I hand carried it to the city hall.  There were at least 6 ballot boxes within sight as I entered the building, and one where I needed to take them--and the entire floor was guarded by two masked security people.  The whole process from front door to front door was 15 min. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Michigan gov bans guns from polling place on election day

QuoteOpen carry of firearms won’t be allowed within 100 feet of the buildings where people vote, Benson announced.
Quote“I am committed to ensuring all eligible Michigan citizens can freely exercise their fundamental right to vote without fear of threats, intimidation or harassment,” Benson said in a news release. “Prohibiting the open-carry of firearms in areas where citizens cast their ballots is necessary to ensure every voter is protected.”
Quote“Michigan voters have the right to vote in person on Election Day free from threat and intimidation,” Nessel said. “An armed presence at the polls is inconsistent with our notion of a free democracy.”
This won't affect concealed carry, but that's usually banned at churches and schools for some strange reason anyway.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 16, 2020, 06:07:55 PM
Michigan gov bans guns from polling place on election day
This 2020 election is seeming more and more like something from a post apocalyptic fantasy film.  Rogue bands running around enforcing their own social order that varies from one geographic area to another.  One time Governors are helplessly calling for order in a collapsing infrastructure of a barren landscape, where people fight over a shortage of gas masks as they scour the trash yards for usable parts.  And in a Tower bearing his name, but protected by a Republican Guard, a half crazed Trump issues pointless orders to nonexistent subordinates.

I think we've got a movie in the making.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2020, 08:01:01 PM
This 2020 election is seeming more and more like something from a post apocalyptic fantasy film.  Rogue bands running around enforcing their own social order that varies from one geographic area to another.  One time Governors are helplessly calling for order in a collapsing infrastructure of a barren landscape, where people fight over a shortage of gas masks as they scour the trash yards for usable parts.  And in a Tower bearing his name, but protected by a Republican Guard, a half crazed Trump issues pointless orders to nonexistent subordinates.

I think we've got a movie in the making.

Well a Dem communist revolution marching on the White House, not the Winter Palace would also make a movie.  Czar Nicholas was just a hapless family man out of his depth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"47% Of Biden Supporters Will Vote By Mail; 86% Of Trump Votes Will Be In Person: What This Means For The Election" ... if you vote by mail, hope you live in a competent state like NM, not a shambolic state.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Remember, vote early and often!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 20, 2020, 05:11:46 PM
"Remember, vote early and often!"

Voting doesn't matter - CIA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

We voted today around noon at a polling location within walking distance of our house. Everyone was wearing masks and maintaining social distance. There wasn't a single person outside the polling area asking to vote for a candidate or handing out flyers, which is unusual. The entire process took 30 minutes.