News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anyone from the Virginia area?

Started by Plu, June 26, 2013, 03:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

My little sis is going on an internship on a Virginia university (don't know which one) and I was curious if there's anyone from the area here. I want to know a little bit of what she's getting into and whether there's anything she should look out for as a tourist :P

MrsSassyPants

Nope, I am from TN.  I have absolutely nothing to offer to your question.  But for some odd reason I am posting here anyway.      I am just new to the forum and excited to post anything anywhere!!  I am so excited to find a group of people just as sarcastic and logically inclined as I am!!!  So who all is going to church tomorrow??  lol
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Plu

Well I guess there isn't anyone from the area around or something :P Oh well.

Solitary

Welcome aboard fingerscrossed2013! Not me!  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

I'm in the state immediately to the south of Virginia, Plu - North Carolina.  What will she find in Virginia?  It depends on which part of the state.  Some parts are highly Christian, some parts are pretty cosmopolitan (especially immediately south of the nation's capitol).  But she's definitely in for a bit of culture shock.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Rex Rgis Verum

All of my first 18.5 years were spent in Northern Virginia, but I have since left the state to go to college. What would you like to know?
Why anyone would desire eternal life is beyond me. There's no fun in forever.

PopeyesPappy

Not in Virginia but spent plenty of time there. As Colanth asks what part? Alexandria and Roanoke are both nice places but might as well be in different countries. My niece took an internship in the DC area right out of college a few years ago and she is still there. Loves it. DC is hard to beat for interesting things to do and places to see. Hop a train and spend the day in Baltimore's Little Italy. Philly is an easy drive. NYC is only a four hours away. The DC area is great place for a young person if they can afford to live there...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Southwestern Virginia is rural and green, one of the greenest places I've ever been.  In the summer, the landscape can be enchanting.  In the winter the trees are bare, and a deathlike pall settles in for 6 months.  I don't know anything about its bigger cities.  Never been to one of them.  Never will if I can help it.  There's a lot of American history in Virginia and much of the rest of the East Coast.  The Western US hasn't been settled long enough to have much history as it relates to our European immigrants that made up our early history.  There the history is more about archeological remains of Native Americans and maybe a gold rush or two.