News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Books to read suggestions? oO

Started by AFactNeedingPerson, September 17, 2020, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2020, 01:35:35 PM
You haven't answered my question. No, reading is not bad. But I just want to know why do you want to read on atheism, that's all.  What do you think reading on athiesm is going to give to you?....

I think i am looking for people who share the same understanding and belief. If declaring being Atheist is as simple as just stating it and being done, there wouldn't be a need for the human experience and the stories of others in the same arena. I enjoy books - they are my general source of information.  I got a kindle and can take them anywhere.  So literally speaking, i want to learn more through books.  But more broadened, i also want to here other perspectives, see their stories, learn some new words that i didn't know before....etc.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll take a look.
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”
― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 05:43:18 PM
I think i am looking for people who share the same understanding and belief. If declaring being Atheist is as simple as just stating it and being done, there wouldn't be a need for the human experience and the stories of others in the same arena. I enjoy books - they are my general source of information.  I got a kindle and can take them anywhere.  So literally speaking, i want to learn more through books.  But more broadened, i also want to here other perspectives, see their stories, learn some new words that i didn't know before....etc.

Atheism IS NOT A BELIEF. Decleration of words? Just saying a few words would declare you a muslim.

Reading, doesn't make you an atheist. Nothing makes you an atheist. Do you believe in a God?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
Atheism IS NOT A BELIEF. Decleration of words? Just saying a few words would declare you a muslim.

Reading, doesn't make you an atheist. Nothing makes you an atheist. Do you believe in a God?

Simple, no.   It seems the common theme here thus far is if one is to be atheist, he is alone.  Its not a religion - i get it.  Theism is the belief if a god/gods.  Atheism is the lack of belief in a god/gods.

I am simply trying to educate myself and find some like thinkers in the process. Rough crowd here....
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
Simple, no.   It seems the common theme here thus far is if one is to be atheist, he is alone.  Its not a religion - i get it.  Theism is the belief if a god/gods.  Atheism is the lack of belief in a god/gods.

I am simply trying to educate myself and find some like thinkers in the process. Rough crowd here....

OK. You are what we call a 'deist'. Someone who believes in a supreme being that created universe and everything in it BUT does not interfere the life in it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2020, 06:25:19 PM
OK. You are what we call a 'deist'. Someone who believes in a supreme being that created universe and everything in it BUT does not interfere the life in it.

Nope.  Nothing evidentiary suggest a higher power man in the sky that created or maintains the universe. 

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 06:28:37 PM
Nope.  Nothing evidentiary suggest a higher power man in the sky that created or maintains the universe.

OK.

Baruch

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 05:43:18 PM

When I was a spud, I learned me better English by reading books above my grade level ;-}  Still compulsive reading is my way of life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 06:12:16 PM

AFact, I remember being in your place right now.  I was never a strong theist--if I ever was a theist.  I considered myself an agnostic.  But I found that position uncomfortable.  So, in a sort of mid-life crisis feeling, I resolved to figure it out one way or the other.  So, I began an earnest search for god; joined a church and even spent a few years on its board as president and vice-president.  Figured that would get me closer to god--:)).  And I began a deep read of seminary approved books on Jesus and God.  I also picked up some books from the opposite side, mainly Robert M. Price and Dogherty.  That was a process that took about a decade.  I tried to embrace the traditional christian god--that did not set well; then I tried a deist type of belief--that didn't take; and tried several other paths to a 'god'.  None worked.  I also did a deep study of the bible--while very, very interesting, it underscored the fact that christianity is a pick and choose type of religion; the bible is cobbled together from a huge assortment of writings, none of which is fact based.  An equally deep study of the nonbelievers produced more facts for me to deal with; their arguments made sense to me.  Anyway, at the end of the decade I ended up understanding that I am an atheist and I think I can say without any doubts, there is no god and Jesus is a fiction.  All religion is a fiction.  Unless and until somebody can can give me data or facts about any god or jesus, I know they are human created fictions.  Without hesitation I call myself an atheist. 

I love reading about topics I am interested in.  And so, I still read atheist books and articles that seem to be a bit different than the usual theist material.  It helps me keep my thought clear--and I am always interested in the outlook of others.  Keep on reading--it's good for you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2020, 03:07:15 PM
Yeah, he has a point... Read, Asimov. Read, Orwell, Vonnegut, Dick... (That's pretty much Westworld, but please read.) Read, Ursula. Also read The Selfish Gene. But please read, Feynman, Lectures on Physics, first. Then Brief History of Time, the man in the chair. Then read, Lederman's God Particle.

I read Lederman too, but not available on the Atheist book shelves ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Your Inner Fish
Why Evolution is True
The Lord of the Rings
Dune
The Dragon Riders of Pern
Fahrenheit 451
Animal Farm
The Stand
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Ringworld
The Once And Future King
The Crystal Cave
Brotherhood of War
Flight of the Old Dog
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 17, 2020, 09:37:40 PM
Your Inner Fish
Why Evolution is True
The Lord of the Rings
Dune
Fahrenheit 451
Animal Farm
The Stand
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Ringworld
The Once And Future King
The Crystal Cave
Brotherhood of War Book
Flight of the Old Dog
Quite the reading list--most are on mine as well.  Dragon Riders of Pern--forgotten how much I loved those books.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Draconic Aiur

Books about Religion and/or Atheistic writings? Try out these books:

Eight Theories of Religion or Nine Theories of Religion both by Daniel L. Pals
Witchcraft, oracles and magic among the Azande by E. E. Evans-Pritchard

Mr.Obvious

I also wholeheartedly and with vigor recommend 'small gods' by Terry Pratchett.
It's a Discworld novel, but pretty much stand alone. You don't need to have read the previous entries in the saga.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 17, 2020, 09:37:40 PM
The author, Anne McCaffrey, said that she "strongly suggests the books be read in publication order.

So, the first six P.E.R.N. novels to read would be.
Dragonflight
Dragonquest
Dragon Song
Dragon Singer
The White Dragon
Dragon Drums
http://pernhome.com/pern/books/publication-order/

BTW: The humans who immigrated to Pern did not bring any religion with them. Seems like they got along just fine without it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers