News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Books to read suggestions? oO

Started by AFactNeedingPerson, September 17, 2020, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFactNeedingPerson

I've picked up and read:

Atheism: The  case Against God (An awfully dry and philosophical approach, had to push through it)
Atheism: What Everyone Needs to Know (Upbeat and friendly read, but utterly on the fence writing style)

I am currently reading:
The God Delirium by Dawkins (I enjoy his writing style, Flying Spaghetti Monsters!)

Anyone else have suggestions.  There are always internet reviews and searches, but if you have a personal preference, im open ears.
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”
― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God

Baruch

Chapter 10 of Plato's Republic on the "Myth of Er" .. the political use of religion

“The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.” … Edward Gibbon

"Anaxagoras was the first known atheist. He was an Ionian Greek, born in Clazomenae in what is now Asia Minor. He travelled to other Greek cities, and his ideas were well known in Athens. Socrates mentioned that his works could be bought in Athens for a drachma." … aka 2 days pay in 430 BCE.  Of course other early philosophers brought up criticism of popular religion, starting with the big 4, Thales, Pythagoras, Xenophanes and Heraclitus.  They are at least irreligious, as was Socrates.

Sam Harris is not a "New Atheist" … but a New Buddhist.  And Buddhism is theistic (yes, technically there are minority Buddhists and Hindus who are atheists, but not in the way anti-Abrahamic people are).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Just curious, why do you want to read books on atheism?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2020, 02:47:53 AM
Just curious, why do you want to read books on atheism?

Books are the best source for material in understanding something (besides life experience).  Is reading now bad or something?  lol
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”
― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God

GSOgymrat

Here are a few books that I enjoyed:

The Moral Arc: How Science and Reason Lead Humanity toward Truth, Justice, and Freedom by Michael Shermer - In this provocative and compelling book, Shermer will explain how abstract reasoning, rationality, empiricism, skepticismâ€"scientific ways of thinkingâ€"have profoundly changed the way we perceive morality and, indeed, move us ever closer to a more just world.

Everybody Is Wrong About God by James A. Lindsay - A call to action to address people’s psychological and social motives for a belief in God, rather than debate the existence of God.

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris - In response to The End of Faith, Sam Harris received thousands of letters from Christians excoriating him for not believing in God. Letter to A Christian Nation is his reply. Using rational argument, Harris offers a measured refutation of the beliefs that form the core of fundamentalist Christianity. In the course of his argument, he addresses current topics ranging from intelligent design and stem-cell research to the connections between religion and violence.

The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates by Frans de Waal - In this lively and illuminating discussion of his landmark research, esteemed primatologist Frans de Waal argues that human morality is not imposed from above but instead comes from within. Moral behavior does not begin and end with religion but is in fact a product of evolution.

Cassia

I do consider myself agnostic (as correctly used in terms of knowledge) in that it is not possible for anyone to prove that some 'god' can not exist; however I am an atheist in that I do not believe that any god as described/worshipped in past or present religions exists. To learn about religion, forget the holy books and study the human brain.

Mike Cl

On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt
by Richard C. Carrier.

I did a good amount of study of the texts used in some major seminary schools about Jesus and the Bible.  Wanted to get the good word straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  And I read several books from the opposite end;  Robert M. Price (ex Baptist minister with many books), Wells and Doherty--all with well researched ideas and books.  Carrier has many books, as well, but the one listed is an excellent source with tons of footnotes and references.  It is a big book, but easy to read a bit at a time. 

As a side note, I was basically an agnostic prior to reading that book.  I am totally atheist now and no longer 'believe' that Jesus or God exists.  I think they don't.  Belief/faith are simply buzz words used by the religious to say they have no facts to offer, but they believe in whatever they believe in and you had better too or you and your soul will suffer.  There is no soul, god or spokesperson of any kind for the god fiction.  I know that.  And I will continue to think that until someone offers me proof or data to support any god.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 05:07:20 AM
Books are the best source for material in understanding something (besides life experience).  Is reading now bad or something?  lol

Books vs on-line, YouTube, e-books.  For me does the content fit my learning style or not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Creatures of Light and Darkness and Lord of Light, both by Roger Zelazny. Why "fantasy" books? Because in both books humans have replicated the "powers" of old school gods, (Egyptian and Hindu in that order). This suggests that the powers of the gods were things "created" by humans, albeit unrealized at the time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I've read a lot of atheist books, but never gained much out of them, because it was all stuff that I had already figured out.  I guess it was nice to see some writers agreed with me, but that didn't make much difference.  Christopher Hitchens didn't pull any punches in his criticisms of religion, and I remember having a visceral response to this guy who was the epitome of the rabid dog. He has taken some criticism for his brashness, but at the same time I was thinking, "Someone needed to say that."  I doubt that he changed anyone's perspective, either the theist or the atheist, but he did make it clear that we atheists are out here, and we will be heard.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 17, 2020, 05:07:20 AM

You haven't answered my question. No, reading is not bad. But I just want to know why do you want to read on atheism, that's all.  What do you think reading on athiesm is going to give to you?

Because you're not going to find some plot that will motivate you to be an at-ease-atheist, and by the way that 'at ease position' also a form of existance (with a :p) left from belief. Why are you looking for a plot of some sort? This is about nature and life at the very bottom and contrary to common belief that is NOT a human story. Why don't you read about popular science? Cosmology, evolution...

You write something, and people here -naturally- write back their experiences which is perfectly fine but that's it... Do you want to move?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PickelledEggs

drunkenshoe

Yeah, he has a point... Read, Asimov. Read, Orwell, Vonnegut, Dick... (That's pretty much Westworld, but please read.) Read, Ursula. Also read The Selfish Gene. But please read, Feynman, Lectures on Physics, first. Then Brief History of Time, the man in the chair. Then read, Lederman's God Particle.

Mr.Obvious

I quite liked 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens, if you're looking for atheist literature.
I read it when I just found out I was atheist and not 'agnostic' as I labeled myself before.
Not sure if I'd still like it. Was like ten years ago, but seemed pretty good back then.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.