News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Lifetime off/on Religious - Atheist, Ready to commit.

Started by AFactNeedingPerson, September 10, 2020, 05:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

My reaction after finally completing my mid-life, multiple year intellectual investigation into the validity of Catholic dogma, the Bible and the entire Christian doctrine that was forced on me (because of tradition) was one of anger. Who enjoys being "duped" or "pranked"? When President Bush Jr comes on TV and says "Gawd" told him to invade Iraq or "thoughts and prayers" are the cure for the gunning down of school kids I still get angry and frustrated.

The very idea that one may transfer responsibility for transgressions to a scapegoat human sacrifice to avert infinite punishment from a slave-master you MUST love... is selfish, immoral, cruel, and fortunately does not align with anything in the real and natural universe of science. Christian claims over the "golden rule" are bullshit.

So, AFNP could you explain if this makes you just a little bit angry?

SGOS

One thing I noticed after I finally stopped trying to believe in a god was that friends I had known for years had been atheists all along, I had gone hiking with them, sailing with them, skiing with them, worked with them, and they never said a word about it, even when I was struggling to find evidence.  You would think one of them would have told me to give it up, and just accept the world as ugly as it is,  or at least as real as it is.  Nope, they were neutral in the way drunkenshoe describes.  They didn't care about making points, comparing notes, debating, or explaining.  They weren't interested in pushing the boulder up the hill.

Many theists are like that too.  They don't push or deny or discuss.  They just live.  On both sides of the issue, individuals come in degrees, and the loudest are the people that shape the perceptions.  The religious right in their arrogant self righteousness push and struggle to make you think the way they do.  Most Christians are not like that.  Apparently, most atheists are not like that either.  Then there are the atheist forums, where people like us like to talk about it in public, and where theists are not automatically excluded by banning.  In fact theists are invited to share their thoughts and openly debated.  They come here to convert, end up in debate, and eventually leave.

I think many of us here are like me.  I started searching out atheist forums at the end of my religious quest, when I was about to abandon the futile search for the Great God, Enigma, and I was trying to make sense out of the rabbit hole that led to Alice's Wonderland.  I felt lied to, like I had been played for the fool, and I was trying to understand why the majority of people could believe in a God, but had no reservations about rejecting the Easter Bunny outright.  Why could they be absolutely sure of one and look at the other with disdain?  I came to the conclusion that they are afraid to not believe the fairy tale.  But maybe I'm projecting, because I was afraid of not believing too.

At first, I shouted my atheism whenever the chance allowed me.  I think it's human nature, at least for some humans. Many theists that show up here, seem like they are fresh off the boat and caught up in their most recent epiphany.  I get it, but it will pass.  Either that or they become radicals.  Today, there is nothing special or new to me about atheism.  I hang out here because some of the people are thoughtful and intelligent.  And I like comparing notes.  Theists and trolls are here too, although they contribute nothing to discussion, nothing at all.  They just take up space.

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: SGOS on September 14, 2020, 07:07:40 AM
One thing I noticed after I finally stopped trying to believe in a god was that friends I had known for years had been atheists all along, I had gone hiking with them, sailing with them, skiing with them, worked with them, and they never said a word about it, even when I was struggling to find evidence.  You would think one of them would have told me to give it up, and just accept the world as ugly as it is,  or at least as real as it is.  Nope, they were neutral in the way drunkenshoe describes.  They didn't care about making points, comparing notes, debating, or explaining.  They weren't interested in pushing the boulder up the hill.

Many theists are like that too.  They don't push or deny or discuss.  They just live.  On both sides of the issue, individuals come in degrees, and the loudest are the people that shape the perceptions.  The religious right in their arrogant self righteousness push and struggle to make you think the way they do.  Most Christians are not like that.  Apparently, most atheists are not like that either.  Then there are the atheist forums, where people like us like to talk about it in public, and where theists are not automatically excluded by banning.  In fact theists are invited to share their thoughts and openly debated.  They come here to convert, end up in debate, and eventually leave.

I think many of us here are like me.  I started searching out atheist forums at the end of my religious quest, when I was about to abandon the futile search for the Great God, Enigma, and I was trying to make sense out of the rabbit hole that led to Alice's Wonderland.  I felt lied to, like I had been played for the fool, and I was trying to understand why the majority of people could believe in a God, but had no reservations about rejecting the Easter Bunny outright.  Why could they be absolutely sure of one and look at the other with disdain?  I came to the conclusion that they are afraid to not believe the fairy tale.  But maybe I'm projecting, because I was afraid of not believing too.

At first, I shouted my atheism whenever the chance allowed me.  I think it's human nature, at least for some humans. Many theists that show up here, seem like they are fresh off the boat and caught up in their most recent epiphany.  I get it, but it will pass.  Either that or they become radicals.  Today, there is nothing special or new to me about atheism.  I hang out here because some of the people are thoughtful and intelligent.  And I like comparing notes.  Theists and trolls are here too, although they contribute nothing to discussion, nothing at all.  They just take up space.

Thank you, very informative and insightful.
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”
― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God

Baruch

We have had people, who were never raised religious, and who since childhood were never attracted to it.  Much of the storytelling is people who were raised religious, who at one time were attracted to it, but have since left it behind.  Useful anecdotal evidence to be sure.

In my case I was almost never exposed to religion (aside from movie culture) ... but came to it as an adult thru marriage.  Entirely different circumstances.  My religiosity has continue to mature over the last 35 years, and the discussions here have been part of it.  If religion comes up, my only problem is poor arguments on the part of drive by theists, and weak arguments on the part of atheist regulars (who are usually very sharp).

I wish you continued success on your journey.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.