News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Have we all heard the gospel?

Started by lifeordeath, September 06, 2020, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Is it me, I mean, am I such perv that whenever I read something like this my mind immediately wanders off thinking that a person is actually describing a masturbation session or does it really sound that way?

"...and at that moment I received the Holy Spirit which is not like an emotional feeling but like an entity separate from me had filled me and it felt like pure joy, and was incredible..."
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Here is what I have to say about your demons, LOL:

Bing bing bang a bang a bang bing bong bing a bing bang a bong
Binga bing a bang a bong bong bing bong bing bang a bong

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 07, 2020, 03:29:39 AM
Lots of reasonable/sensible people often get 'demonic experiences' when they interact with the majority through some medium or in real life. You don't see them go around bury themselves in scripture of some religion, do you?

I mean, in the Middle East we are fucked. But there are tons of other ways of...exorcising one's demons in Western cultures. You are so spoilt and stupid. Myeh.

Most Westerners don't call on the Holy Spirit, they just take another hit from their uppers ;-) ... because the Devil made them do it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 07, 2020, 01:39:11 AM
I don't think they're coming back. Just dropping a thread and then disappearing again.

This is not atypical of Christian posters in atheist sites.

As if they think we have never heard any of this sort of crap before, and they are going to be the first to expose us, and we'll be convinced.

In their minds, they don't need to stick around for a bit of honest discussion. They just: knock over the chess pieces, crap on the board, then fly home to their flock and declare victory.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Cassia

Quote from: Simon Moon on September 07, 2020, 05:27:22 PM
This is not atypical of Christian posters in atheist sites.

As if they think we have never heard any of this sort of crap before, and they are going to be the first to expose us, and we'll be convinced.

In their minds, they don't need to stick around for a bit of honest discussion. They just: knock over the chess pieces, crap on the board, then fly home to their flock and declare victory.

Maybe spending the weekend at "The Ark Encounter", that bastion of science and reason.

PickelledEggs

Blackleaf

So since they'll probably never describe their demonic experience, I'm just going to go ahead with my followup question. Why the Hell would a demon make its existence known? Think about it. If the entire point is to get you to die before being saved, wouldn't exposing oneself be counterproductive to that cause? If a demon shows someone that they exist, then they show that the supernatural exists. Like in the OP's own example. Their experience convinced them that God was real. Congratulations, demon! You really suck at your one job! All you had to do was hide, and you fucked it up.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Simon Moon

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 07, 2020, 07:05:48 PM
"Used to be an atheist"

ok.

Yeah, we've all heard that before.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe them.

But, the next question is; (if they weren't cowards, and decided to stick around here for discussion*) were they ever critical thinkers and skeptics, and understand logical fallacies? 

*OK, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here, too, and assume the holiday weekend is keeping them busy enough to prevent them from responding to our inquiries.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 07, 2020, 03:29:39 AMLots of reasonable/sensible people often get 'demonic experiences' when they interact with the majority through some medium or in real life. You don't see them go around bury themselves in scripture of some religion, do you?
In evangelical circles, it's pretty common to have a "witnessing" story where they start out as a godless heathen and then come to Christ after some sort of supernatural experience.  The bible-beaters tie atheism and satanism together for some strange reason, so it's common to go with the story that demons attacked them because atheists are weak to demonic influence or somesuch bollocks.  It's all a crock.

You know the real story?  Someone got indoctrinated at a young age, drank the Flavor-Aid at some point and bam, we got ourselves a crappy Paranormal Activity knock-off.  These people churn this crap out.  Not so much for us, but to sell to each other.  To convince themselves that they got it all right and they're privy to the grand truth of the universe.  Truth is they have no idea.  We have no idea.  No one has any idea.  They're just talking themselves into something they already want to believe and were raised to believe.  That's the much, much simpler and imho much more likely explanation.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on September 07, 2020, 05:52:19 PM
Maybe spending the weekend at "The Ark Encounter", that bastion of science and reason.
I'll go, but only if I can ride the triceratops.  :P

Mr.Obvious

Look, Imma level with ya, OP.

Maybe becoming an atheist wasn't exactly the smartest call in my life. But 'I've already signed the devil's contract in my own blood and sacrificed my firstborn to his unholy glory. So, yeah, I could be saved, but you know i' m already so deep in. And I'm just two black masses away of filling  my stamp card. Then I'll get a free slurpee. I'm not walking away from that commitment.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2020, 11:09:21 PM
In evangelical circles, it's pretty common to have a "witnessing" story where they start out as a godless heathen and then come to Christ after some sort of supernatural experience.  The bible-beaters tie atheism and satanism together for some strange reason, so it's common to go with the story that demons attacked them because atheists are weak to demonic influence or somesuch bollocks.  It's all a crock.

You know the real story?  Someone got indoctrinated at a young age, drank the Flavor-Aid at some point and bam, we got ourselves a crappy Paranormal Activity knock-off.  These people churn this crap out.  Not so much for us, but to sell to each other.  To convince themselves that they got it all right and they're privy to the grand truth of the universe.  Truth is they have no idea.  We have no idea.  No one has any idea.  They're just talking themselves into something they already want to believe and were raised to believe.  That's the much, much simpler and imho much more likely explanation.

Oh I know, I get it. I was trying to be sarcastic.

But I believe that most of these possession stories are reflections of some sort of sexual or physical abuse; sometimes recieved, sometimes done to another person, maybe even witnessed. In the most extreme circumstances of oppression and brainwashing, it could even be just masturbating and feeling guilty about it.

See, in Islam there is no 'devil posession' but djinn posession. Of course there are countless different beliefs in itself but generally, according to believers djinns are another folk created by god before humans and exactly like humans they born, grow up, get marry have children and die. There are good, bad, religious (from every religion), atheist djinns. They do good or bad deeds. They're not of matter while we humans are, which makes them inferior to us.  (Obviously we are the best thing ever happend to this universe...duh) They move in incredible speeds etc... Interaction with them is strictly forbidden for humans but djinns also fall in love with humans, have kids and live together all their lives...blah blah

Now, most of this stuff is just simple sleep paralysis because it almost always happens at night. I suffered and still suffer from it time to time, it can be pretty unsettling if you don't know what it is. I had almost everything from floating in the air, hearing the conversations of people from other centuries, in tongues, touching me, pushing me... 'wrestling with beings' in bed, which always feel very agressively and sexually male. (I wonder why,lol.) Think about mostly ignorant, religous people experiencing anything like that. Trust me, it's HELL of a job, mostly impossible to convince the most educated people that it just hallucinating during a natural state. I've tried. It pokes something very primitive. 

But if you read about 'djinn incidents' esp. among young people in forums, anonymous stories, you'd see they're almost always sexual incidents. Long story short, if you read all this from a rational point of view with its positive and negative parts, this belief is a key ground to express anything that a human being in an oppressive, religious closed society, household cannot deal with. Be it something as simple as experiencing masturbation or intense sexual desire with a wet dream, half awake.

But the alarming part is the possible sexual abuse these people might be suffering from. This is pretty much like the alien abduction stories. I believe the same thing goes around in the Christian circles under the name of 'devil possession'.

Anything is done to the person or they have done to someone else or maybe just witnessed that they can't deal with under certain circumstances goe out as some 'possession'.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

For many theists, "The Devil Made Me Do It," is still embraced as an acceptable rationalization for masturbating.  "The demon takes control of my hand and makes me jerk off.  I try not to do it, but the demon is too powerful.  He only returns control of my hand after I blow my load and after I've shouted, 'God be praised!'  I don't know why he makes me shout that, but it proves beyond doubt that the demon is real."

drunkenshoe

LOL It looks like a lot of cultural differences could cause misunderstandings up there in my post. When I said 'in tongues' I tried to say in different languages as in foriegn languages. None of them are religous experiences, just simple things from human culture. Just meaningless hallucinations of sleep paralysis.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2020, 09:09:50 AM
For many theists, "The Devil Made Me Do It," is still embraced as an acceptable rationalization for masturbating.  "The demon takes control of my hand and makes me jerk off.  I try not to do it, but the demon is too powerful.  He only returns control of my hand after I blow my load and after I've shouted, 'God be praised!'  I don't know why he makes me shout that, but it proves beyond doubt that the demon is real."

I agree. I'm just saying there are dark parts of it we don't want to see. It's just Ockham's razor to me in this context. Because they're almost all the same in every religion.

Yeah, sexual instinct is more powerful than any demon human can invent. That's the thing with this moronic lot, isn't it? They think they can control or beat nature in any sense. LOL