News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Solved Rubick's Cube

Started by SGOS, September 04, 2020, 12:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I don't know why I decided to do this, maybe the boredom of isolation, but I bought a cube through the mail, and went to utube to learn how it's done.  After 11 days and hundreds mistakes and failures, I solved it, and that was putting in some long hours of head banging and hair pulling.  After solving it, I still found myself going back to the directions for another week.  I'm just getting so I can solve it without referring to the directions, but I still have to refresh my memory from time to time.

There are various algorithms used in the process, and I found that memorizing them with your brain is not enough.  I had to practice the algorithms much like one would practice the fingering on a musical instrument until one establishes muscle memory.  You're spinning and twisting and thinking and counting all at the same time, so you need to be able to make the moves without thinking about it.  So for a while, instead of solving, I would limit my learning to practicing the moves.

Utube does explain things, but the guys that do it are not good teachers.  It's like a little kid showing you how do do something on his computer game.  He just takes the controller and does it, thinking that it's helping you, when all he did was do it for you.

Baruch

I never could, wouldn't spend time on it.  My oldest niece mastered it quickly ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2020, 12:47:19 PMAfter 11 days and hundreds mistakes and failures, I solved it, and that was putting in some long hours of head banging and hair pulling.
Makes me feel better about playing hundreds of hours of spider solitaire.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Sweet !!! Your brains are like your muscles. A good workout makes it stronger

Mike Cl

Shoot--I solved that thing years and years ago.  Took me one hour.  I played with the cube for an hour, put it on the ground and used a sledge hammer to solve it.  There---solved................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 04, 2020, 02:31:37 PM
Shoot--I solved that thing years and years ago.  Took me one hour.  I played with the cube for an hour, put it on the ground and used a sledge hammer to solve it.  There---solved................
You can also repaint the the sides.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 04, 2020, 02:31:37 PM

Alexander the Great, I thought you were dead! (Gordian Knot).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2020, 03:04:51 PM
You can also repaint the the sides.
I hadn't thought of that!  I think I was so frappen frustrated by the end of the hour that I could only see that sledge--and not paint!

I admire your patience to solve that monster!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

I remember that thing very well. Picked it up, spun a couple sides, looked at it, studied for about half a beer, and said. “ I ain’t got time for that shit”. Never for a moment have I regretted that moment. 😁
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on September 05, 2020, 07:33:53 AM
I remember that thing very well. Picked it up, spun a couple sides, looked at it, studied for about half a beer, and said. “ I ain’t got time for that shit”. Never for a moment have I regretted that moment. 😁
Nor did I.  I think I was just ready for another learning curve.  The cube is not a learning curve you tackle out of some practical need.  It's just a learning curve.  But learning curves have always been satisfying to me.  Frustrating for sure, but the final mastery is always satisfying.  I have no idea, where the need to take on such an impractical task came from.  It's not like I lived for years regretting never solving the cube.  I just decided to do it.  I suspect that some of the experts don't have to learn it.  They just have an innate sense about spatial relationships.  I've heard that one of the top international speed cubers is autistic.

drunkenshoe

I respect that kind of patience and drive more than a smart mind figuring it in short time.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

When the colors were stick-ons you could rearrange them easily.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 05, 2020, 08:29:11 AM
I respect that kind of patience and drive more than a smart mind figuring it in short time.
What you said reminds me of baseball.  Many assume that the major star players (Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial--that type star) would make the best managers.  Not really.  It is the mid-ability players who shine in that regard.  Billy Martin is a good example--scrappy middle infielder who had to work, and work hard, to stay on a team, much less start for one.  They can relate to the vast majority of players who have to work hard at their craft to even stay average.  They know what those players struggles are, how to explain the little things and the not so little things that come naturally to the Mickey Mantle's of the world.  They make the best managers.  Told you my mind works a bit differently. :))

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 05, 2020, 09:01:59 AM
What you said reminds me of baseball.  Many assume that the major star players (Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial--that type star) would make the best managers.  Not really.  It is the mid-ability players who shine in that regard.  Billy Martin is a good example--scrappy middle infielder who had to work, and work hard, to stay on a team, much less start for one.  They can relate to the vast majority of players who have to work hard at their craft to even stay average.  They know what those players struggles are, how to explain the little things and the not so little things that come naturally to the Mickey Mantle's of the world.  They make the best managers.  Told you my mind works a bit differently. :))

Same with engineers and programmers.  The really good ones have no time to explain things to inferiors.  If you are the average lump who has to struggle with daily tasks, that puts you on the same level as the proles.  Einstein and Newton couldn't lecture.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 05, 2020, 08:58:14 AM
When the colors were stick-ons you could rearrange them easily.
One thing the Utube guy demonstrated was that a corner piece can be twisted by pulling it out slightly and rotating it enough to face the sides in new directions, so I suppose you could do that, but the reason he pointed that out was that some people, while turning the layers, sometimes twist a corner by accident, which will prevent a solve from happening, but I get the impression the odds against that are like a million to one.  I'm not sure why he bothered pointing that out. Also, I don't think it wouldn't work as a cheat, but that's only my intuition.  Each of the pieces have their final place, and they can't go anywhere else, so if you create an oddity, it cant fill a place that's already spoken for.  A twisted corner can only go to it's designated corner and that is determined by mechanics of the cube and has nothing to do with colors.