News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stop Making God Mad

Started by Hydra009, September 01, 2020, 02:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I suggest you not make Aquaman mad ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5KiKKCD7A

Don't hold back, get Kraken ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on September 01, 2020, 04:07:08 PM
God gets mad a lot.
And he hates whatever his followers don't like.  Because if they said they dislike something, that's be a matter of subjective opinion and open to debate.  But if they said that an unchallengeable authority like God dislikes something, well then that's just a matter of fact and should be obeyed.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2020, 10:52:40 PM
And he hates whatever his followers don't like.  Because if they said they dislike something, that's be a matter of subjective opinion and open to debate.  But if they said that an unchallengeable authority like God dislikes something, well then that's just a matter of fact and should be obeyed.

As opposed to my feels says it is OK or my commissar says it is OK?  There is no basis for any morality, legality or ethics.  Those are Beta gambits to disarm the Alphas (see Nietzsche).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 02, 2020, 11:50:02 AM

When people do something, it isn't for any reason, because people are just clouds of atoms.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on September 01, 2020, 04:07:08 PM
God gets mad a lot.

LOL'ed. My mind is surrounded by the words I don't know in English, but I can't find anything satisfying.

In my mother tongue we call people who can't handle a natural situations in life and give a violent reaction because of their inferiority complex, underdevelopment of a specific kind: 'çapsız'. This word is the exact equivalent of the expression 'without any diameter' in English. (Word for word in one word.) In this context, the meaning is that the entity -whatever it is- so small and poor of quality in essence, it can't deal with anything standard in life. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 02, 2020, 02:14:17 PM
LOL'ed. My mind is surrounded by the words I don't know in English, but I can't find anything satisfying.

In my mother tongue we call people who can't handle a natural situations in life and give a violent reaction because of their inferiority complex, underdevelopment of a specific kind: 'çapsız'. This word is the exact equivalent of the expression 'without any diameter' in English. (Word for word in one word.) In this context, the meaning is that the entity -whatever it is- so small and poor of quality in essence, it can't deal with anything standard in life.

Can you handle a death in your family?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on September 02, 2020, 02:19:32 PM
Can you handle a death in your family?

With all the life experience you had, you should know any hypothetical answer to this is bullshit. Do I think I can? Yes. 

But you know what the ancient world says. Doesn't matter when you actually get the 'fact' that your father is dead, in 10 seconds or in ten years after he died, you do grow up at that moment.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 02, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
With all the life experience you had, you should know any hypothetical answer to this is bullshit. Do I think I can? Yes. 

But you know what the ancient world says. Doesn't matter when you actually get the 'fact' that your father is dead, in 10 seconds or in ten years after he died, you do grow up at that moment.

Most of us will never experience a natural disaster, but something closer to home ...

What rites to the dead?  Family organization is tricky.

The five stages of grief are:

denial.
anger.
bargaining.
depression.
acceptance.

One has individual and family trauma to deal with.  This is in the context of very deep culture (birth, marriage, death).  Not saying atheists don't grieve, but the anger/bargaining stages seem problematic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on September 02, 2020, 02:50:03 PM
Most of us will never experience a natural disaster, but something closer to home ...

What rites to the dead?  Family organization is tricky.

The five stages of grief are:

denial.
anger.
bargaining.
depression.
acceptance.

One has individual and family trauma to deal with.  This is in the context of very deep culture (birth, marriage, death).  Not saying atheists don't grieve, but the anger/bargaining stages seem problematic.

Stop projecting. Theists and religious people almost always have more problems with personal traumas. By nature of your belief and world vision what happens to you is a part of something that is decided or a part of a system that is somehow determined to happen. You are always more affected by the opinion of the society or the community you live in. Do we look like we give a damn? Seriously? Me, Baruch. You know where I live. Everyone knows what I am since I was a kid. Don't give me the crap of 'the fine line' between destiny and free will.

Nonbelievers are always more likely to see anything happens to them or in general as a result and consequences of countless variables (e:lol, I wrote variations); basic life. They don't need to be enlightened or 'believe' in science either. Don't give me the crap of 'there is no difference, human culture changing over milennia' with the former either.

Your corpse has a meaning to you believers, ffs. A simple example, from real life, as you've been bitching all about. I have donated my body to medicine to be cut in pieces and sewn over and over again, years ago. When I am dead, they'll take my corpse straight to a morgue of a university hospital for years till no mm of flesh or organ is left to cut. We have very little donation of the kind.

Here is your question, old man. Can you deal with your own death corpse to be treated as the meat it is, when you are dead? Don't give me 'it is not my body but my soul' crap. 

Because it seems to me that the believers of any kind are the only people who can't deal with death -esp. with their own- considering they all have some sort of an idea on what is to come afterwards.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 02, 2020, 02:14:17 PM

So basically, God is a needle dick?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

Nonbelievers are always more likely to see anything happens to them or in general as a result and consequences of countless variables
Well said ! Countless variables plus your own influence. I never have to wonder if god is mad at me and conversely I don't need to blame any god for bad luck. I have lived through many hurricanes and common sense sure helps one's odds. Death is what makes life so valuable. This living forever idea is for childish minds and diminishes the value of life. How else to get peoples' devotion and sway them to fight your wars if you don't promise them "heavenly" rewards?