Subtlety Anti Religious Music/Videos

Started by Cassia, August 30, 2020, 09:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

I have my favorite obvious attack songs like "dear god" by XTC. However I really enjoy songs that are subtle with skepticism. I would like to hear some of your favorites and maybe why you see them in that light. For instance this song "Do you realize" IMHO is suggesting that this life is the only one you will get. ;) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXWt2ESxVY

Baruch

My favorite anti-religious music is Godspell.  Jesus didn't establish an institution, except in the same terms as Buddha establishing the Sangha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Perhaps the best reason, for me, to enjoy classical, is that there are no words to fuck up the feeling. Same for what is called smooth jazz. I have always thought that people who claim a certain style of music is”the best” simply haven't been exposed to the plethora of genres and the incredible music floating about they know nothing about.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on August 30, 2020, 02:14:13 PM
Perhaps the best reason, for me, to enjoy classical, is that there are no words to fuck up the feeling. Same for what is called smooth jazz. I have always thought that people who claim a certain style of music is”the best” simply haven't been exposed to the plethora of genres and the incredible music floating about they know nothing about.
Asking someone what the best music is, is like asking who the most beautiful man or woman is.  There is no such thing...........total depends upon each person and what they like.  At times, I will go on you-tube and put random words in front of 'music', and sample what comes up.  I am constantly surprised by the different 'types' of music there are and what I end up liking.  By and large, instrumental is what moves me.  There are exceptions, tho, like 'The Rose'--never tire of that one.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2020, 12:29:41 PM
"Jesus Christ: Superstar"

Yeah...I've loved that musical since I was a kid. And I never saw it as religious more like having fun with it. I mean the name only...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 30, 2020, 02:37:28 PM
Yeah...I've loved that musical since I was a kid. And I never saw it as religious more like having fun with it. I mean the name only...

Very sixties!  Same as Aquarius by Fifth Dimension.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cassia on August 30, 2020, 09:03:13 AM
I have my favorite obvious attack songs like "dear god" by XTC. However I really enjoy songs that are subtle with skepticism. I would like to hear some of your favorites and maybe why you see them in that light.

I love Aimee Mann. This song is ostensibly about Alcoholics Anonymous, a faith-based recovery system, but it speaks to how I feel when talking to people of any faith.

I want to believe
But baby, I'm dry
I want to believe
What you testify
And I'll pour the drinks
Like a true believer
Whose God never blinks

But I cannot get my head around it, baby
I cannot get my head around it, baby
'Cause that's just not the way
You make me feel

https://youtu.be/M3SL4hhcBWQ

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 30, 2020, 03:59:00 PM
I love Aimee Mann. This song is ostensibly about Alcoholics Anonymous, a faith-based recovery system, but it speaks to how I feel when talking to people of any faith.

I want to believe
But baby, I'm dry
I want to believe
What you testify
And I'll pour the drinks
Like a true believer
Whose God never blinks

You make me feel

Thanks for that.  I had not heard of the song, nor of her.  I like her voice.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Draconic Aiur

Cassia

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 30, 2020, 03:59:00 PM

I want to believe
But baby, I'm dry
I want to believe
What you testify
And I'll pour the drinks
Like a true believer
Whose God never blinks

You make me feel

Sweet Song! Speaking of Amy Mann that live video of 'til tuesday' playing 'coming up close' might be the closest thing to live music perfection I have heard yet.

Cassia

I so love NIN, Hydra.....
BTW, Deus does not exist, but if he does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq2dWTBVZD4

Cassia

Now that I am going down A Perfect but Circular rabbit hole, I rather like this, not just because I am a Libra, LOL...Not sure it is literally about a fallen angel....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBAvTLp15Q