Does Christian music makes you feel inspirational

Started by Kibla92, August 26, 2020, 03:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

What do you mean by 'inspirational'??  Depending upon who you talk to, I am pretty inspiring--especially to my dogs right around food time.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I am sure your dogs howl like bitches on queue, based on what you have trained them to respond to ;-) … typical Democrats.

@Kibla92 … there have been Christian hymns that inspire me.  Atheists don't have a spirit/soul.  They are empowered by their political messiah getting elected.  Power is what people want who have no spirit.  For a real spiritual person, G-d having power is sufficient.  Martin Luther said "a prayer sung is a prayer made twice".

I also like Buddhist and Hindu chant etc.  Inspiration isn't limited to one culture.  Even wordless music is uplifting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Only when 'inspirational' is code for 'nauseated'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cassia

I also like Buddhist and Hindu chant etc
I wanted to be a Buddhist monk but I never had the chants.
Jesus Fucking Christ Kibla92, that is one shitty song.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on August 26, 2020, 09:28:08 PM
I also like Buddhist and Hindu chant etc
I wanted to be a Buddhist monk but I never had the chants.
Jesus Fucking Christ Kibla92, that is one shitty song.

Yeah--but it does fit right in with his other posts.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

"...He has overcome, yes, he has overcome...'

God made this after Satan invented rock? That explains a LOT.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 27, 2020, 12:54:58 AM
"...He has overcome, yes, he has overcome...'

God made this after Satan invented rock? That explains a LOT.

Satan invented Rock?  I knew it when I saw Elvis the Pelvis and my loins were stirred ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Every religious group/person defended that something that makes life bearable was invented by Satan at some point, at least once.

Rock should have been a nasty shock though...LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Draconic Aiur

Depends. Sometimes it inspires me to imagine or get through the day, but that could be said about any music really. I should know. I sang in a choir from elementary to high school and I sand all various songs from Broadway to religious and some songs I can sing now can have mythological and religious origins and lyrics, but it is the the whole song in general that inspires me to feel better and imagine. Music is magic that is a part of our design as living beings. I often saw choir people being pulled from practice because their religious parents and their religion prevented them from a particular song. But I was a atheist then and I didn't care I enjoyed the choir songs and events the same as anyone enjoys their favorite genre.

This a song we sang in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBOqEnTPiw

Mr.Obvious

Not sure if it does or does no makes me feel the inspirational.

Will say, like that song from 'oh brother were art thou?'
Down to the river to pray, studying 'bout that good ol' way. Or something like that. Also a big fan of the late leonard Cohen who had many a Christianity-inspired song. Greats stuff.

But most gospel songs or ones that go like 'I wanna get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus, I wanna feel his salvation all over my face!" tend not to do it for me.

In fact, one of the most fun and inspiring songs Christianity-related, to me personaly, would be' Jesus he knows me'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Christian Rock.......................A complete a joke
Songs Out of a Hymnal..........BORING and the wide vibrato of that lady behind me sends me into an epileptic fit
Some Classical Music..............Creates a visceral experience (Beethoven's Ode to Joy), but it has nothing to do with words, which are in a language I don't understand.  Beethoven's Fifth Symphony does the same thing to me, and as far as I know that special tune is not about Jesus.  So it's more like Beethoven is the thing inspiring me, not Jesus.

So as pointed out, it depends on how you define "inspiring."  An afternoon thunderstorm at a high mountain lake after a 12 mile hike is inspiring, as is a dead calm in the evening while a moose on the opposite shore dunks his head in the lake and comes up in a shower of water and lily pads. Now that kind of stuff is inspiring.  But the only thing it inspires me to do is get more of it.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on August 27, 2020, 06:35:50 AM
An afternoon thunderstorm at a high mountain lake after a 12 mile hike is inspiring, as is a dead calm in the evening while a moose on the opposite shore dunks his head in the lake and comes up in a shower of water and lily pads.

Mhm...Sigh.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 27, 2020, 01:36:27 AM
Every religious group/person defended that something that makes life bearable was invented by Satan at some point, at least once.

Rock should have been a nasty shock though...LOL

Sexual assault makes life bearable?  Is that Biden's excuse?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 27, 2020, 06:35:50 AM
Christian Rock.......................A complete a joke
Songs Out of a Hymnal..........BORING and the wide vibrato of that lady behind me sends me into an epileptic fit
Some Classical Music..............Creates a visceral experience (Beethoven's Ode to Joy), but it has nothing to do with words, which are in a language I don't understand.  Beethoven's Fifth Symphony does the same thing to me, and as far as I know that special tune is not about Jesus.  So it's more like Beethoven is the thing inspiring me, not Jesus.

So as pointed out, it depends on how you define "inspiring."  An afternoon thunderstorm at a high mountain lake after a 12 mile hike is inspiring, as is a dead calm in the evening while a moose on the opposite shore dunks his head in the lake and comes up in a shower of water and lily pads. Now that kind of stuff is inspiring.  But the only thing it inspires me to do is get more of it.

Don't get inspired to put up an umbrella ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.