Removing any legacy of the confederacy

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 25, 2020, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

And does anyone who has even a little knowledge of history have anything to say?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2020, 04:15:29 PM
And does anyone who has even a little knowledge of history have anything to say?

Lincoln was a tyrant.  A tyrant I like, but then I like dictators who suspend Habeus Corpus and make war.  If there were no slaves in the South at all, the North still wanted to tyrannize the South ... John Brown was a psycho New Englander, a religious extremist, not unlike a Jihadi.

"Prof: "The Constitution Is Racist"" ... funny how liberals complained about Southern colleges teaching nonsense years ago
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Looking over the misty swamp that abridges our backyard, I'm not gonna go into all the subtle beautiful aspects of Southern life. Too bad Lincoln didn't string up every last wealthy traitor to our country. It should have been a clean slate instead of the passive aggression of confederate statuary, smoldering racism and divisive attitudes. Nevertheless these clever, pissed-off bastards discovered (after all the civil rights legislation was enacted) that corporate America loves republicans and hates labor unions and stole lots of manufacturing to the New South. Talk how we rose again and won the war. With the great migration of permanent snowbirds to particular areas the new "Southern" democrats have things swinging.

Mike Cl

The real 'legacy' of the confederacy was treason and slavery.  It should return to that.  No statues or monuments, plaques, or any other permanent reminder to the confederate cause should remain outside of museums.  Battlefields and govt. parks with battlefields should remain, but as a reminder that the traitorous confederacy were defeated. 

And I agree that all lands used to support slavery, and all slave owners or those who traded in the slave trade in any way, should have been hung.  The land so used, should have been divided up among the ex-slaves.  A clean sweep should have been done!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

I did a semester looking at the USN and the interdiction of the slave trade in the decades before the Civil War. Slave importation was illegal after, IIRC, 1818, so any ship bringing slaves from Africa would be halted and the cargo impounded. This could be hundreds of people all of whom were wards of the state until the trial(s) were over and their status as "contraband" was confirmed. At that point they would be given passage back to Africa. However, the state and local agencies holding the slaves didn't have funds to house and feed them. So they got permission to sell some of the slaves to care for the rest. As it was often the case that the process took years to come to a conclusion it was, in some cases, case dismissed because the state no long had any "evidence" to present.

AND when they did get back to Africa they were usually landed near a "factory" (where the "factor", or slave merchant, had his shop set up) and they'd be immediately captured by Africans who may have sold them to the factors the first time around. This lead to the founding of Monrovia.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 13, 2020, 09:38:54 AM
The real 'legacy' of the confederacy was treason and slavery.  It should return to that.  No statues or monuments, plaques, or any other permanent reminder to the confederate cause should remain outside of museums.  Battlefields and govt. parks with battlefields should remain, but as a reminder that the traitorous confederacy were defeated. 

And I agree that all lands used to support slavery, and all slave owners or those who traded in the slave trade in any way, should have been hung.  The land so used, should have been divided up among the ex-slaves.  A clean sweep should have been done!

The North practiced wage slavery and mass importation of immigrants to suppress wages and prevent labor unions.  Death to the Damn Yankees! ;-)  Oh, and Bostonians were investors in the illegal slave trade (NYC banks were there for money laundering).  All Americans are traitors to GB ... hang them all!  Today D and R export jobs to China for the same reason, being co-conspirators in the enslavement of the Chinese people to a bloodthirsty Communist regime!!  Must serve Han Chinese master race!  Enjoy free Mao jacket and bicycle ;-)  Read Biden's Little Red Book (ghost written by AOC and Bernie)!

I agree on the treason accusation however (relative to US Constitution, that was established by a bloodless coup by Franklin, Washington et al).  This was easily ameliorated by passing a constitutional amendment outlining a legal process for secession (Henry Clay should have got this done).  We still don't have one of those, regardless of what California wants.  Present day Dems think they have washed their hands of this original sin (what about the Native Americans?) because they support gay marriage ;-))  Funny how 18th-19th century slave trade abolishment was pushed by Christians.  Atheists established their gulags in the 20th.

"MONEY FOR NOTHING, AND SHIT FOR FREE- BURLINGTON MAKES "REPARATIONS" TASK FORCE" ... Vermont is such a Yankee shithole

"Seattle mayor appeals recall decision that could see her removed from office" ... lower state court upholds the ability to make recall, mayor appeals to state supreme court.  Remove the Confederate legacy from Portland, Seattle, Chicago and NYC!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

As to anyone who wants to start a civil war against the Federal government for any reason, including political partisanship, I answer ...

“I have for some days held and controlled every avenue by which the people and garrison of Savannah can be supplied, and I am therefore justified in demanding the surrender of the city…I am prepared to grant liberal terms to the inhabitants and garrison; but should I be forced to resort to assault, or the slower and surer process of starvation, I shall then feel justified in resorting to the harshest measures, and shall make little effort to restrain my armyâ€"burning to avenge the national wrong which they attach to Savannah and other large cities which have been so prominent in dragging our country into civil war.”  - General Sherman
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.