News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Star Wars movies

Started by Kibla92, August 23, 2020, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2020, 06:15:00 PMC3PO got a better character arc than Finn, ffs.

The general consensus seems to be that Finn should have died flying into the laser drill. It would have provided a conclusion to that character, completing his character arc as he goes from Stormtrooper defector to half-heartedly supporting the rebellion because he doesn't know where else to go (even bailing when he thinks he's in danger), to choosing to die to protect the remnants of the rebellion. But they chose to keep him around because...reasons. And he does virtually nothing after that. He just kinda tags along, doing nothing of real importance, not growing in the slightest.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I hate that trope.  I call it an almost-sacrifice (where a character appears to undertake a self-sacrificing act of heroism, but they're spared somehow).  Finn's almost-sacrifice is probably the worst just because of that cheesy line "We're going to win this war not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love."  You absolutely win wars by fighting what you hate.  In fact, that's a decent informal definition of war.  You fight a threat in order to protect people.

The third film had another almost-sacrifice with C3PO that really pissed me off because that weighty decision was undone at the end.  Serial characters need consequences.  Without consequences, their sacrifice has no meaning.  Without consequences, you have The Simpsons or I dunno, Jesus.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Honestly, the only Star Wars thing I enjoyed other than the original trilogy was the Rogue One movie. That was great. It could have been a standalone, not even affiliated with Star Wars, though that scene with Vader slashing through all those rebels was fucking intense as all hell. I loved that. The whole movie was great. Story was very good, too.

The Force Awakens was weak, relying mostly on nostalgia. The second one that I would have to look up the name because of how forgettable it was, but don't feel like putting the effort in was even weaker than that. And The Last Skywalker was weak as well. Just incredibly underwhelming writing and directing overall.

The series seemed to also just throw in some characters played by non-white people, just for the sake of "diversity" (t.m.)
They didn't really have a pivotal role, in any way. They were just thrown in there so they could say "hey we are pro-diversity". It backfired too, because their roles were so inconsequential that the actors got bullied for it, even though it wasn't the actor's faults that they got cast for what happened to be roles that just flat out wouldn't have made a difference if they weren't there.

Star Wars became a clusterfuck. A genuine clusterfuck.

Gawdzilla Sama

Have you seen any of the Three Caballeros movies?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers