News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Star Wars movies

Started by Kibla92, August 23, 2020, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

One of the things I find most silly about the Star Wars movies is that droids were given their own language made up of beeps and boops. Some humans understand it somehow, but what if they don't? Well, then you have translator droids like C3P0. A solution to a problem that they created.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2020, 01:59:08 PM
One of the things I find most silly about the Star Wars movies is that droids were give their own language made up of beeps and boops. Some humans understand it somehow, but what if they don't? Well, then you have translator droids like C3P0. A solution to a problem that they created.
Translator droids were made to translate otherwise unintelligible alien languages (like german).  Presumably, astromech droids like R2D2 communicate in a way that's intelligible to pilots and people who have been around them for a while.  But yes, occasionally, protocol droids have to translate for an astromech droid.

Baruch

C3PO was the only way they could get a plausible British butler into the movie ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2020, 01:59:08 PM
One of the things I find most silly about the Star Wars movies is that droids were give their own language made up of beeps and boops. Some humans understand it somehow, but what if they don't? Well, then you have translator droids like C3P0. A solution to a problem that they created.
C3PO was a protocol droid. He had to know millions of languages to do his job.

Which was helping Anakin's mom do some damn thing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

I think the prequels and the sequels would have been better had they simply had Timothy Zhan write them.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

the_antithesis

I hope we never get another Star Wars anything.

I liked the original trilogy well enough. Still do, I guess. But I don't care for any of the other movies.

The Mandolorian was OK. It felt more like Star Wars than any of the movies have since Return of the Jedi. But I'm not excited about the second season with that guy with the black light lightsabre. Fuck that noise. We almost got a Star Wars thing without a fucking lightsabre and they fucked it up.

So, fuck Star Wars. Fuck Star Trek. Fuck 2001 before they even get the idea to reboot and ruin that. I don't want any of it.

Baruch

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 09, 2020, 12:55:09 PM

I liked the original trilogy well enough. Still do, I guess. But I don't care for any of the other movies.

The Mandolorian was OK. It felt more like Star Wars than any of the movies have since Return of the Jedi. But I'm not excited about the second season with that guy with the black light lightsabre. Fuck that noise. We almost got a Star Wars thing without a fucking lightsabre and they fucked it up.

So, fuck Star Wars. Fuck Star Trek. Fuck 2001 before they even get the idea to reboot and ruin that. I don't want any of it.

Wakanda light saber?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 09, 2020, 12:55:09 PMI hope we never get another Star Wars anything.

Hydra009

Currently in the works:

Mandalorian season 2
Bad Batch animated series
Obi Wan live-action tv show

I'm excited.  Disney just needs to step back from Star Wars movies for a while (couldn't have picked a better year for that) and focus on TV.  They've had much more positive audience reaction there.  Then take their time and springboard to a movie or three down the line after they get a firm handle on just what it is they want to do and have a good script to work from - not a creative tug-of-war or half-finished mess.

Blackleaf

I don't understand Disney. Their trilogy was so expensive to make, it was ridiculous. And they invest none of that into a plot? First movie of theirs, they literally copy/paste the plot from A New Hope. Why? And now that we have all three movies and we can see the bigger picture, it doesn't even look like they had a plan. First film sets up all of these mysteries, second film shits all over those mysteries, and then the third movie brings those mysteries back again to give us unsatisfactory answers to them. Just WTF Disney? They could have done so much more with it. I know they're not done with the movies. They're going to milk the hell out of them. But now I don't even care in the slightest. I'm not going to see any more Disney Star Wars movies unless I hear from several sources that it is actually good.

Oh, yeah, and Disney also killed the Lucas Arts gaming studio in favor and selling EA exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. And in all this time we got...two good games? One single player game they forgot to cancel, and one online game that only became good well after release and a world-wide controversy forced them to calm down on the excessive microtransactions.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 09, 2020, 04:12:17 PMI don't understand Disney. Their trilogy was so expensive to make, it was ridiculous. And they invest none of that into a plot?
I know, right?  I've literally seen people on YouTube pitch much better plot outlines for the sequels.  You could probably buy the rights for $100 and a shoutout.

I can see how there'd be problems given the creative control hot potato and the need to please multiple generations of fans.  But still, what we got was pretty bad.  Take any character from Force Awakens (if you can recall their name) and plot their character arc.  Imho, there's like two and a half, three and a half tops.  Rey, Kylo, Luke (kinda), C3PO (kinda).  C3PO got a better character arc than Finn, ffs.

Baruch

If people behaved themselves, there would be no drama.

The studios can't take ideas from fan fiction, because then they won't own the rights to it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Plots require people to think. People don't like that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 09, 2020, 12:55:09 PM

You're alive. Hi.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp