News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Solved Rubick's Cube

Started by SGOS, September 04, 2020, 12:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

In regards to the last post, how about a cube that is entirely white?  It would have a final solve too, but you could never tell if it was.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2020, 10:03:11 AM
In regards to the last post, how about a cube that is entirely white?  It would have a final solve too, but you could never tell if it was.
They all are easy solves with a sledge.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

That kind of patience is like some kind of super power in my eyes, esp. combined with some specific motivation that is not rising from need because I don't have that. Well, I don't think. It works different with me. So I admire people who can do it. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2020, 10:00:51 AM
One thing the Utube guy demonstrated was that a corner piece can be twisted by pulling it out slightly and rotating it enough to face the sides in new directions, so I suppose you could do that, but the reason he pointed that out was that some people, while turning the layers, sometimes twist a corner by accident, which will prevent a solve from happening, but I get the impression the odds against that are like a million to one.  I'm not sure why he bothered pointing that out. Also, I don't think it wouldn't work as a cheat, but that's only my intuition.  Each of the pieces have their final place, and they can't go anywhere else, so if you create an oddity, it cant fill a place that's already spoken for.  A twisted corner can only go to it's designated corner and that is determined by mechanics of the cube and has nothing to do with colors.
Why did you quote me?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 05, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
Why did you quote me?
If it was reply #14, I was pointing out another way to change colors.  If it was something else, I don't know.  I already removed one of posts where I quoted myself, but oddly didn't reply.  After so much confusion just solving the cube, I can't hardly think straight, so who knows?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2020, 02:51:10 PM
If it was reply #14, I was pointing out another way to change colors.
Not even close, but there's an end to everything under Heaven.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I'm still practicing solving the cube.  There is more to it than just getting it right once.  The thing is quite complex and after solving it several times in a row and thinking I've got it down, I will run into situations that I haven't encountered.  They will stump me for awhile, and in the worst case, I will have to jumble everything and go back to the beginning, but I'm learning how to correct mistakes in a half solved cube along the way.  I'm still developing muscle memory, but I'll never be nimble enough to solve it in 3 minutes.  When I focus my mind, I can solve it in under 10 minutes (this is just a guess.  I've never timed myself), but if I'm distracted by something, it could take maybe 15 minutes.  I can see all sorts of ways where experience will eventually shave off seconds here and there.

The guy that invented the thing has a book coming out.  He has never published anything before, and he doesn't consider himself an authority on the cube either.  He just designed the thing and was immediately confounded on how to unscramble it the first time.  It took him weeks to put it back together again the first time.  He is 77 years old, and stayed out of the limelight for the most part. He says he's still trying to understand the cube, nor is he in the speed cuber category.  I don't expect it to be on the best seller list, but it will no doubt be read by the ardent cubers out there.  It's just one of those ideas or inventions that became much bigger than the creator's intentions.

Unbeliever

I had a cube almost 40 years ago, and learned it from the instructions that came with it. Since then I didn't have one until a few years ago, but I'd totally forgotten how to do it. So I went to YouTube and learned the corners- first method, and I got that down pat. There are other methods, though, like the block method and the first-two-layers method, so I guess it's time for me to try learning one of those.

I read that Rubik took 3 months to solve it after he invented it!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

When I listen to KGO I like to see how many times I can scramble and solve it during the commecials - usually a couple of times.

My cube recently went missing, but I guess the universe wanted me to have it, because it came back in a week or so.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Instructions came with mine too.  In fact, I have them right here in front of me, but I only looked at the first two diagrams, and then put them aside.  They are mostly just arrows and letters.  They reminded me of those language free instructions that come with a wheelbarrow, which are mostly useless.   When I assemble a new thing, I first reach for the instructions.  My next action is usually, "WTF??"