Earthquake on Virgina/North Carolina Border

Started by SGOS, August 09, 2020, 08:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I was sitting at my computer at 8:15 this morning when I started to get jolted.  About 15 minutes later, I googled https://earthquaketrack.com/recent and it was already posted, probably without anyone touching a keyboard. 5.1 magnitude, 54 miles from my house; Epicenter: Sparta, North Carolina.

SGOS

That's the first time I've visited that site.  I get the impression that the world must experience a quake around every 15 minutes.

Hydra009

I was sound asleep.  But I knew someone in Charlotte who felt it.

Earthquakes, especially big ones, are pretty uncommon around here.  The only one I personally remember experiencing was the 5.8 in August 2011 that felt like an 18-wheeler driving too close to the house.  A slight rumbling for like 15 seconds, not damaging anything but enough to startle me.  No aftershock.

drunkenshoe

Hang in there, take care. We are having them often. Short time ago we had a 5.2.  You never get used to it I guess.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2020, 02:49:40 PM
The only one I personally remember experiencing was the 5.8 in August 2011 that felt like an 18-wheeler driving too close to the house.  A slight rumbling for like 15 seconds, not damaging anything but enough to startle me.  No aftershock.
I remember 2011, I had just moved to Virginia.  I was sitting on my porch, and the wind was perfectly calm.  I remember the vinyl siding on my house making the same rattling noise it does when the wind blows, which perplexed me, because it was a dead calm.  Then I felt vague tremors and realized what was happening.

Gawdzilla Sama

Spring of 1969, Saturday morning, Indiana. Earthquake. WTF? Not a big one, but it rocked the chair I was in. You never forget your first.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

My first circa 1968 Long Beach CA.  I noticed the pictures on the wall were swinging back and forth.  Mom was in the shower.  We got her dressed and stood out in the front yard with legs spread, you could feel the ground wave like you were on a ship.  No damage, so it was a fun joke on my mom.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.