News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello all

Started by bericks999, July 17, 2020, 04:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bericks999

I used to run this forum back 10 years ago and it's been a long time since I was here.  I was hoping that I could get your ideas on how to respond to this drivel. 

Maybe I can put this in terms even you can understand. Say you have a toddler and they are about to touch a hot stove. Do you stop the child or not? Or a child running into the street in front of a moving car? A child about to fall into the pool that can't swim? Do you think to yourself. I a loving parent would never correct my child even though they are going to get hurt. God wants no one to perish or go to hell. You have the freedom of choice. You are an adult and have information available to you. The Bible, Google so many ways to research for yourself. But if you choose not to that's on you. He gives you all the way up to the minute you die to accept Jesus into your heart. I don't think you can get any more loving than that. But after that moment of death. You pay the price. So if you think that makes God mean. Think about all the times he could have disciplined you in love to try and get you to see the truth. That the stove is hot, running in front of a car. Do you discipline your child out of love or fear?

Thanks for your input and happy to see the forum still exists...

... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

bericks999

I was hoping for some witty suggestions due to my wit being all expended today...

Baruch

You are assuming that G-d has anything to do with what people get up to in bed ;-)  Why would G-d care about rug rats?  In Kabbalah Judaism, it is holy to have sex with your wife on Friday night (the sabbath), because that is when G-d is doing that with his Shekhinah.  But for kosher reasons, you have to do it with a bed sheet between you and your wife, because of her implicit "uncleanness", and just a hole in a strategic location (and not during her period of course, because blood is holy like plutonium is dangerous).

Gentiles of course have never had more than a sand grain worth of understanding of Abrahamic religion.  Pagan LARPers.

So why does G-d allow evil?  Why does G-d allow free will?  How are those connected?  Who knows? Theologians don't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

bericks999

Baruch

Quote from: bericks999 on July 17, 2020, 05:39:54 PM
Huh?

"Accepting Jesus into your heart?" ... how Jesus' transcendental work as a Mahayana BuJew bodhisattva enlightens all, because the individual (sinful) self is an illusion, so if Jesus is enlightened then all are (even if they are unaware of this)?  You mean gender ambiguous Avalokiteshvara?  That per Paul, the Jewish law is an aspect of "shunyata", that sin is "empty"?

This is inviting "love" into you heart.  Now this "love" you imply ... is it "agape", "philos" or "eros"?  On the other hand ... "duḥkha" and other drivel.

You wanted a witty response, but my humor is unique.  I offer you "dharma-yuddha" aka "chavrusa" as the rabbis call it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

A loving parent wouldn't see their child playing in the road, tell somebody else to warn them on their behalf, and just hope the child takes the stranger's advice. They go outside and move their child. If they see their child about to touch a hot stove, they don't hope the child will come to accept that touching the stove would be a bad idea and choose not to touch it. They'd grab the child and keep them from touching the hot stove. The analogy does not work. Furthermore, God is the source of the danger in the first place. It would be more accurate to associate God with the car or the hot stove than the loving parent.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

bericks999

Thank you for the help....

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL

Mike Cl

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 17, 2020, 08:11:25 PM

OP, I’m confused. Are you asking this on behalf of yourself or because a Christian posed this to you and you want to know our thoughts?
Me, too.  Why are you asking for help with something as simple as this????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

Even children become adults.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 17, 2020, 08:55:54 PM
Even children become adults.

I have my doubts ;-)  Some children just age badly.

As far as "what would a good parent do?" ... that depends on if you have been a parent, you don't get credit for being only a child.  And it markedly depends on if you had an abusive parent.  For example, with a severe autistic child, I don't know what a good parent should do.  I don't normally support elective abortion, but if one knows that the embryo is severely deformed ... and if I were the mother, I don't know what a good parent should do.  I do not consider the adult public at large, to be children.  I expect successful adults to be responsible.  Otherwise one isn't successful, for whatever reason (not always by one's own choice).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Rogue

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2020, 07:00:25 PM
A loving parent wouldn't see their child playing in the road, tell somebody else to warn them on their behalf, and just hope the child takes the stranger's advice. They go outside and move their child. If they see their child about to touch a hot stove, they don't hope the child will come to accept that touching the stove would be a bad idea and choose not to touch it. They'd grab the child and keep them from touching the hot stove. The analogy does not work. Furthermore, God is the source of the danger in the first place. It would be more accurate to associate God with the car or the hot stove than the loving parent.

This one feels like a mic drop moment.
Belief in a cruel God makes a crueler man...Thomas Paine

Baruch

Some people have daddy/mommy issues.  I didn't fully appreciate mine until I had a child myself.

Yes, some people would associate G-d with a car, if you drive a Lambourgini ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on July 23, 2020, 10:23:36 AM
Some people have daddy/mommy issues.  I didn't fully appreciate mine until I had a child myself.

Yes, some people would associate G-d with a car, if you drive a Lambourgini ;-)
And the point wizzes straight over your head.