Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Honestly...so happy to be here

Started by Rosycheeked_rebel, July 11, 2020, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL

Mike Cl

Hey--welcome home.  And it's alright to be a little angry.  Or a lot angry, at times.  Like now. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I'm looking forward to your posts, you seem to be someone who'll have fun here. I don't really know how to ''come out'' as an atheist since I was never in a situation where I had to worry about it, but you may have better luck with other posters here.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Considering how much Christians have fucked up our country, and how they continue to do so, I'd say we're justified in being pissed off at them. Evangelical Christians still support Trump after all this shit, so fuck them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 11, 2020, 07:46:06 PMI'm obsessed with space and the ocean. I love rock music, though I will never have the voice for it, and chocolate and vanilla millshakes are the best!
Oooh!  I like this one.  Welcome!

aitm

Welcome. Hope you stay. We only have one butt-head here. Easy to spot so no reason spoiling the discovery.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I hope you stay.  I'll be happy to hear more from you.

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 11, 2020, 07:46:06 PM
outing myself as an atheist will also mean outing myself as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, which undoubtedly played a large role in me leaving Christianity and not liking religion, and going into detail about the trauma I have and how Christianity has played a significant role in it. Not everyone deserves to know, but I also want to stop putting on a facade,
I don't make a big deal about outing myself.  At one time when I discovered I was an atheist, I felt like I needed to talk about it, but I don't think it's necessary unless you want to be a part of an activist organization.  I don't have an interest in that.  I originally started participating in forums like this just to help sort out my own issues, and learn more about who I was. 

Over the years I found out some of my closest friends were atheists.  Can you imagine?  I never knew because that's who they always were and it wasn't an issue for them like it was for me early on.  They never brought it up.  I don't think they were hiding it.  It just wasn't that important to them.  That's kind of the way I've become.  I'm just happy with myself, and tend not get in other people's faces unless they demand that I be there. 

Religion is a private matter.  At least I think it should be, and the same goes for atheism.  People that make issues out of everything, have too many issues, IMO.  They are close cousins to the chaos junkies. I don't need that in my life.  I probably make this sound too overly critical.  I just don't find chaos and conflict very helpful to myself.

I did out myself as a wilderness advocate one time.  I became president of an advocacy group.  I became known as an environmentalist in Montana, which is not really the same thing as a wilderness advocate, but it does piss a lot of people off, especially those in industry.  In order to move our agenda along, I had to out myself by calling attention to the failures of forest destruction.  True, I made some very close friends, but some bitter enemies as well.  It needed to be done, but it's a roller coaster.  Some adapt to that better than others.  So outing myself is something I'd only do when it reaches a certain level of necessity, or serves a greater purpose.

Sal1981

Welcome to the super fun house. Enjoy your stay.

I'm a Christian apostate. I became convinced that the Bible was no better than horseshit (although horseshit you can at least use as manure) when I was around 13 years old due to inconsistencies within the Bible, but it took me 4 grueling years to accept it and leave it behind. To me atheism (and every personal conviction) is a private matter that I only share with close friends and family, without wearing it on my sleeve. This wasn't always the case as, like most recent apostates share, there was for me a period of anger stemming from being left with the feeling of being lied to about the nature of faith. In that period I was an insufferable "activist" in my little personal circle of friends and family trying to deconvert them. I look back now at that time with disdain for my past self, because I admittedly was quite intolerant of other people's convictions. This, in turn, is why I think it's so easy for people to 'other' people different from themselves, instead of accepting differences in convictions people have.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on July 12, 2020, 08:58:00 AM
Welcome. Hope you stay. We only have one butt-head here. Easy to spot so no reason spoiling the discovery.

Hey!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Welcome also.  There is some religion discussion going on.  Given the times, politics rules everywhere ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I was born an atheist, so I had  nothing to be angry about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 12, 2020, 03:46:28 PM
I was born an atheist, so I had  nothing to be angry about.
So was I, but then they took it away from me, and didn't want to give it back.  Actually, I don't think I was angry about being fooled.  I was angry and cried when they told me there was no Santa Claus, so when it dawned on me that God was just the grown up version, I'd already been through the worst of it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2020, 04:22:13 PM
So was I, but then they took it away from me, and didn't want to give it back.  Actually, I don't think I was angry about being fooled.  I was angry and cried when they told me there was no Santa Claus, so when it dawned on me that God was just the grown up version, I'd already been through the worst of it.
I was expelled from Sunday School when I was seven years old. I asked them why God had to kill all the kittens and puppies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 12, 2020, 06:35:34 PM
I was expelled from Sunday School when I was seven years old. I asked them why God had to kill all the kittens and puppies.
Let's face it; Christianity is one morbid religion.  It worships an idol nailed to a cross.  It's absolutely barbaric at it's core.

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL