News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2021, 07:36:04 PM
As a Southerner, I assumed that federal soldiers stationed to prevent violence by crazed pro-confederate lunatics was a normal thing.

Yeah, but last time federal soldiers were stationed to prevent violence by pro-confederate Democrats ... oh, wait ...
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mike Cl

In 1932 Hoover deployed the regular Army in DC to rebuff the marching soldiers who were demanding end of service pay.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 16, 2021, 02:34:20 PM
Yeah, but last time federal soldiers were stationed to prevent violence by pro-confederate Democrats ... oh, wait ...

Are you seriously trying to claim that Democrats are still the problem, because a long time ago, before long before either of us or any currently elected politician was alive, Democrats used to be the party of the South, as if neither party had undergone any significant changes since then? Please tell me you're not that ignorant.

And of course, I seriously doubt you've made so much as a Google search to determine if that really was the last time federal soldiers were deployed to prevent insurrection, but I'm not going to put in more effort in debunking you than you put in regurgitating something you heard on Fox News.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 16, 2021, 02:34:20 PMYeah, but last time federal soldiers were stationed to prevent violence by pro-confederate Democrats ... oh, wait ...
What if I told you that the ideologies of the two main parties have changed considerably in the past 60 years?  This is US Political History 101 stuff, lol.

And this is yet another rookie mistake that basically no one except conservatives make, and usually the dumber ones at that.  Why not just be honest about where you're coming from?  Cause I guarantee you, that would be much better received than embarrassingly weak hot takes coming at us from a position of bad faith.  The Intelligent Design people kept their true motivations hidden better than this.

Next you'll probably deny the Southern Strategy as if denying it somehow erases it from history.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eS2E-PoGo

This is a surprisingly good video on the topic, from a Christian and the creator of VeggieTales, no less.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 16, 2021, 02:34:20 PM
"The law, in its majesty, forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing food, begging in the streets, or sleeping under bridges."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 16, 2021, 05:44:39 PMThis is a surprisingly good video on the topic, from a Christian and the creator of VeggieTales, no less.
It also gives context as to why some people recoil from seemingly inoffensive words like "states rights" and "law and order".

Jason Harvestdancer

Petition to revoke Harvard degrees of Trump supporters

If someone attended Harvard, and then went on to support Trump, this petition is to revoke their degrees, obviously.

There should be no place in society for anyone who supported Trump.

There are so few Trump supporters around here that people are making them up.  Careful with that, you may wind up going down the route of the Salem Witch Trials instead of where you want to go.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Shiranu

QuoteThere should be no place in society for anyone who supported Trump.

Hey, we agree on something!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 16, 2021, 05:44:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eS2E-PoGo

This is a surprisingly good video on the topic, from a Christian and the creator of VeggieTales, no less.

Thanks for that! It's a good video for foreigners. My general impression is correct, but I didn't know the specifics, certain events. I'd seen old US maps which blue-red spread was different. Also, it is nice to hear decent American English.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 17, 2021, 12:27:31 AM
Petition to rename the moon
QuoteTitan. Mimas. Europa. Enceladus. Hyperion. Iapetus. Charon. Triton. What do these all have in common? They are moons. But one key thing sets them apart from earths moon. Their names are fucking BAD-ASS. Why does't OUR moon have a cool name?
Shit, our moon is so inconsequential that it doesn't even have a name.  It's like having a dog, and just calling it dog, or calling your wife, wife.  All the other planets have names for their moons.  Something is seriously wrong with the system.

SGOS

This is the headline that usually follows every post election loss, no matter the party.  A loss is always followed by an evaluation of strategies.  It's human nature and a necessary group dynamic.  I think the media usually exaggerates the debate, but in my experience, neither party changes much.

QuoteHEADLINE: Post Trump, Republicans Are Headed for a Bitter Internal Showdown
QuoteNYT The bitter infighting underscores the deep divisions Mr. Trump has created in the G.O.P. and all but ensures that the next campaign will represent a pivotal test of the party’s direction, with a series of clashes looming in the months ahead.
The reason this happens is because of a loss.  If Trump had won the election, nary a Republican would have protested, and they would just stay on the same track. 

Trump reached out to the Party's more dangerous and violent fringes, and of course he captured the hearts of the Evangelicals.  Republicans were happy bashing ANTIFA, BLM, and liberals.   

The Proud Boys, the White Nationalists, and KKK have defined the Party these last four years.  Or maybe Trump defined the party through them.  But Republican voters seemed to love having them on board.

Trump did not exhibit his petulant child until after the loss, but that was not the reason he lost.  He had already lost before that side of him became so outrageously apparent.  He may have lost some of his moderate supporters over that embarrassing performance but certainly Republicans were not displeased with him before then.  He was probably the most loved Republican president since Eisenhower, but also the most hated.  The hated part was why he lost.

None the less, the upcoming discussion may be interesting, although I doubt that the public will get to know much of what goes on in the discussions.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on January 17, 2021, 06:13:10 AM
Shit, our moon is so inconsequential that it doesn't even have a name.  It's like having a dog, and just calling it dog, or calling your wife, wife.  All the other planets have names for their moons.  Something is seriously wrong with the system.

I could live with the current system if it were consistent. But we don't call the earth just 'planet' now do we?
My vote goes to 'fondue', 'gouda' or 'French dessert', cuz it's made of cheese.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.