News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 12, 2021, 07:08:56 PMAnd even if Trump was impeached... so what?
I was going to quote that viral tweet about post-presidency benefits but apparently that's not true.  What a shame.

A different argument that I've found convincing is that coming down hard on a coup attempt is pretty important because it sends the message that this stuff won't be tolerated and discourages it in the future.  We know this the hard way from countries that suffered attempted coups and didn't do enough to prosecute it or protect themselves in the future and then suffered a successful coup.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 12, 2021, 07:24:30 PM
I was going to quote that viral tweet about post-presidency benefits but apparently that's not true.  What a shame.

A different argument that I've found convincing is that coming down hard on a coup attempt is pretty important because it sends the message that this stuff won't be tolerated and discourages it in the future.  We know this the hard way from countries that suffered attempted coups and didn't do enough to prosecute it or protect themselves in the future and then suffered a successful coup.

I wouldn't call impeachment "coming down hard" though... Trump's reaction last time to it was pretty much...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

GOP Support For Impeachment Grows As Republicans Say They’ll Vote Against Trump

Headlines I'd not thought possible!!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/house-republicans-impeach-trump_n_5ffe2b7dc5b656719889eb49

The GOP dam broke on Tuesday when Rep. John Katko of New York said he’d vote to impeach the president. Then, Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican in the House, issued a stark statement saying that she, too, would vote to impeach because of Trump’s direct role in inciting the riot.

The Turtle said he was okay with impeaching the orange monster.  That caught me by surprise!  Dare I hope he is not only impeached, but also removed????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 12, 2021, 08:28:17 PMThe Turtle said he was okay with impeaching the orange monster.  That caught me by surprise!
That's a large - suspiciously large - departure from his position just 4 days ago.  So color me skeptical.

I'll believe him after I see a floor vote, not before.

Allegedly, the idea is to make Trump persona non grata and reclaim what's left of the Republican Party from his influence, which is certainly a wise idea but one about 4 years too late.  At this point, it's like throwing a bucket of water on a volcano.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 12, 2021, 08:45:08 PM
That's a large - suspiciously large - departure from his position just 4 days ago.  So color me skeptical.

I'll believe him after I see a floor vote, not before.

Allegedly, the idea is to make Trump persona non grata and reclaim what's left of the Republican Party from his influence, which is certainly a wise idea but one about 4 years too late.  At this point, it's like throwing a bucket of water on a volcano.
From what I've heard (new info is coming in quickly) the idea for Moscow Mitch is that if trump is impeached and then removed, the 14th amendment can be added that would keep trump from holding any public office again; and that would basically rid MM of most of trumps repub control.  That sounds good to me, but I really have no way of guessing it will unfold that way or not.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

I just wonder if over time we will learn the "coup plan". So you have disrupted the certification (and possibly have kidnapped some congresspersons). Some dumbass redneck is sitting in Pelosi's chair. Now what?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 12, 2021, 08:49:32 PM
From what I've heard (new info is coming in quickly) the idea for Moscow Mitch is that if trump is impeached and then removed, the 14th amendment can be added that would keep trump from holding any public office again; and that would basically rid MM of most of trumps repub control.
That's a big if.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on January 12, 2021, 08:53:44 PM
I just wonder if over time we will learn the "coup plan". So you have disrupted the certification (and possibly have kidnapped some congresspersons). Some dumbass redneck is sitting in Pelosi's chair. Now what?
I highly doubt they thought it through beyond that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 12, 2021, 03:23:21 PM
I've noticed that when they say this, they always skimp on the details.  Inevitably, it's just "something people are saying" that Trump said people are saying.

I was specifically listening to see if she would reference policies but she didn't. Most of the political conversations I hear don't discuss specifics, because most people don't know enough about economics, tax law, healthcare, etcetera to have an informed opinion. It's all anxiety and team spirit.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 12, 2021, 09:24:01 PM
I was specifically listening to see if she would reference policies but she didn't. Most of the political conversations I hear don't discuss specifics, because most people don't know enough about economics, tax law, healthcare, etcetera to have an informed opinion. It's all anxiety and team spirit.
I mean, most of us don't know the super duper specific parts of the law or executive orders, but I'd accept something like "toughened environmental protections" or "lowered taxes for Americans who make less than 50k a year".  Something reasonably specific without citing legal jargon and clauses.

Jason Harvestdancer

Trump won't be running in 2024, that's only a scare point.  I'm not sure who is using it to scare people, but that's all it is being used for.

We're going to have two 1-term presidents in a row, assuming Harris doesn't have Biden removed.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mike Cl

From what I understand, Jason, trump used that idea (running in 2024)  as a tool to get his base to give him money.  From what I've heard, it has been very successful.

Shiranu

Republican Members of Congress Allegedly Seen Giving Guided Tour to Insurrectionists Days Before Uprising, Dem Congressman Says

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/politics/2021/01/12/mikie-sherrill-pro-trump-rioters-got-tour-congress-members/6648386002/
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 12, 2021, 10:33:42 PM
Trump won't be running in 2024, that's only a scare point.  I'm not sure who is using it to scare people, but that's all it is being used for.

I think if Trump runs in 2024 as a third-party candidate it will split the Republicans and benefit the Democrats, same as if Bernie Sanders had run third-party in 2020 and pulled away progressive voters. I can't imagine Republican party influencers allowing Trump to represent their party again after this latest fiasco. I will not be surprised at all if Trump, who had "the greatest first term in presidential history", runs third-party in 2024 simply for ego and to rake in donations. As he said, "This is only the beginning."

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 12, 2021, 11:24:47 PMI can't imagine Republican party influencers allowing Trump to represent their party again after this latest fiasco.
I couldn't imagine Trump running for Prez in 2016.  Or winning the nomination.  Or Republicans backing violence in the heart of government in some delusional attempt to un-lose an election they already lost.  Lots of very shocking things have happened and might still happen.

Back in November, after the lost election, a majority of Republicans favored Trump to run in 2024, after everything that happened on his watch in 2020.  Granted, that might've shifted a bit since the deadly seditious riot, but apparently, some Republicans not-so-secretly love that sort of thing.

All I'm saying is that the people who say Trump won't be running with this air of confidence like they know what they're talking about don't know jack about 2024.  No one does.  So don't count your chickens till they hatch.