News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Also, something only a Trumpling would seriously believe.

Jason Harvestdancer

Saying the Trump supporters should just get away with it is something a Trumpling would say.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 11, 2021, 11:15:57 PM
Saying the Trump supporters should just get away with it is something a Trumpling would say.

Get away with what? If we're talking about the people who raided the government building while the Senate was in session, with the intent of changing the election results and possibly murdering politicians (including Pence and other "traitors"), who stole government property and assaulted police, which resulted in the deaths of (I think) five people, then yes. They do belong behind bars. But if you're talking about people who committed the act of voting for Trump, they're stupid, but they're not criminals.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

What a weird edit.  His original post was just to assume no one would know what I meant by "trumpling" (it's pretty obvious) and counter-accuse me of being one in the hope that both accusations seem equally plausible to the audience (they aren't).

The edit just drifts into Baruch-like incoherence unrelated to anything.  How odd.

Shiranu

I'm not sure if I should post this in this thread or the virus thread, but...

Two Dem congresswomen have now tested positive after being forced to shelter in place with Republicans who refused to wear masks during the coup attempt.

https://www.thecut.com/2021/01/rep-jayapal-tests-positive-for-covid-after-capitol-riots.html
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

14th Amendment may come into play.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I had to look up the 14th.  It's pretty clear about what privileges shall be revoked for those participating in insurrection.  The hard part will be the debate about Trump and other leaders' actual participation. The public opinion on this seems rather clear that some are responsible.  But look for some hair splitting when the debate comes.

GSOgymrat

My husband was talking with a friend on speakerphone who is a Republican and Trump supporter and she was distressed about how the events at the Capitol are putting the Republicans in a bad light. She didn't appear concerned with the event itself but how it reflected on Republicans. She insisted on how Trump had done so much good for the country and he's being treated so unfairly, how all his progress is getting ruined because the mainstream media has it out for him. She said, "You know, they're getting Fox News taken off the air." She also was saying that "all the Republicans are getting banned from Facebook and Twitter. They banned the Parler app because the Democrats don't want Republicans communicating. The First Amendment is under attack!" It was very interesting listening to her anxieties, very much an "us versus them" perspective. My husband let her ramble on a while and then said, "You do realize Trump has lost his mind, right? I mean, I'm all for the wall and standing up to China but now he's just nuts."

PS- I wasn't eavesdropping. She knew she was on speakerphone and I said hello.

SGOS

Wealth and power probably create some mind altering chemistries that can push people with narcissistic tendencies over the edge. I thought I saw that happening to Richard Nixon during Watergate.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 12, 2021, 09:47:31 AM
My husband was talking with a friend on speakerphone who is a Republican and Trump supporter and she was distressed about how the events at the Capitol are putting the Republicans in a bad light. She didn't appear concerned with the event itself but how it reflected on Republicans. She insisted on how Trump had done so much good for the country and he's being treated so unfairly, how all his progress is getting ruined because the mainstream media has it out for him. She said, "You know, they're getting Fox News taken off the air." She also was saying that "all the Republicans are getting banned from Facebook and Twitter. They banned the Parler app because the Democrats don't want Republicans communicating. The First Amendment is under attack!" It was very interesting listening to her anxieties, very much an "us versus them" perspective. My husband let her ramble on a while and then said, "You do realize Trump has lost his mind, right? I mean, I'm all for the wall and standing up to China but now he's just nuts."

PS- I wasn't eavesdropping. She knew she was on speakerphone and I said hello.

That sounds quite a bit more than just "us vs them" perspective though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 12, 2021, 09:47:31 AMShe insisted on how Trump had done so much good for the country and he's being treated so unfairly, how all his progress is getting ruined because the mainstream media has it out for him.
I've noticed that when they say this, they always skimp on the details.  Inevitably, it's just "something people are saying" that Trump said people are saying.

Same with these broad accusations that all conservatives are being silenced - oh, by "all conservatives" you mean that guy who got kicked off twitter for violating their ToS?  Well, yeah.  What'd you expect?  If anything, it was a miracle it didn't happen sooner.

Hydra009

Poll: most Americans blame trump for Capitol attack

The good news is that 80% of Republicans oppose Treasonfest alongside 96% of Democrats, with Independents splitting the diff at 88%.  So this stuff really is abhorrent to pretty much all Americans except a small but worrisome group of Republicans.

But at the same time, Republicans couldn't piece together that the guy who came up the idea and spend weeks promoting it might be somehow linked to this mob.  Cause that's so hard to figure out.  Definitely looks like their usual talking heads got to rewrite history and had a rather easily manipulated audience.

And, of course, Republicans balk at the idea of holding one of their own accountable.  Party of personal responsibility lol.

Blackleaf

I think the fact that Conservatives are concerned about how the riot makes them look, and how Liberals are reacting to it, but are not concerned at all about the attempted insurrection itself speaks volumes. Very, very few will say anything against the insurrectionists, because they know they're on the same side. If the roles were reversed, they'd be appalled. We know this, because this is exactly how they told us WE'D be behaving if Biden lost, even though we saw how Liberals reacted to their loss last time, and the most we got from Liberals then were some people carrying signs saying, "Not my President." Once again, it's only bad when the other team does it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

The most depressing thing about all this was I knew when it happened... "What's REALLY going to change?"... and already we are slipping back into business as usual; Democrats call for consequences, Republicans block any attempt at it.

Sure, GoP leaders have said they condemn this... but they don't believe the president should be removed from office and that they won't support an impeachment hearing (even some of the Dems, like the embodiment of "Repulican-lite" Manchin are saying they won't support it).

And even if Trump was impeached... so what? He has already been impeached once and what did that really change other than put an astrik next to his name?

On top of that we have 147 Republicans, just about half of all Republicans in Congress, who voted that they refuse to accept the election results as legitimate.

In any civilized country an armed insurrection against the state that left police dead and nearly had several Senators held hostage would be society changing... but at this point in America this somehow still feels like "the norm".

That this seems even remotely normal or expected is terrifying.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 12, 2021, 07:08:56 PM
The most depressing thing about all this was I knew when it happened... "What's REALLY going to change?"... and already we are slipping back into business as usual; Democrats call for consequences, Republicans block any attempt at it.
Party loyalty prioritized over all else is what put Trump in office in the first place and what allowed the delusions of a stolen election to fester.

They won't stop unless they are stopped.