News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on January 09, 2021, 11:13:14 AM
The Capitol police were unprepared.  I don't know why they were unprepared.  Because it was not a BLM protest?  Even avoiding saying that "Everyone knew it was coming," the cops should have known it was an extreme high risk event.  And the Capitol Police Chief did resign the next day.  The police were not ready.  I don't know how large the Capitol Police Force is.

Mayor bowser is said to have asked for the national guard in advance, to make sure the building and it's senators could be safeguarded, but that Trump refused to deploy them.
I'm sure he didn't know the rioters would actually go inside, though that hardly matters to his guilt in the matter. But he clearly didn't want the national guard there so that his mob would be able to protest loudly and impressively.
Don't get me wrong, the capitol polices display should be looked into. But if you choose to deploy a skeleton crew in your store during black friday, you are asking for trouble.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Yikes, that's even worse.

Blackleaf

In case any morons try to claim the "guy with the horns," otherwise known as Jake Angeli, is a member of Antifa who protested for BLM, here's a statement straight from the horse's (bull's?) mouth:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1257736599170736128

I'd love to hear his reaction to being accused of being with Antifa. I'm sure he really appreciates that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on January 09, 2021, 11:13:14 AM
The Capitol police were unprepared.  I don't know why they were unprepared.  Because it was not a BLM protest?  Even avoiding saying that "Everyone knew it was coming," the cops should have known it was an extreme high risk event.  And the Capitol Police Chief did resign the next day.  The police were not ready.  I don't know how large the Capitol Police Force is.
My guess is that they were prepared--the trump way.  I bet (yes, just speculation at this point) if you scratch the Senate sergeant-at-arms,  and the chief, you would get a trump smell.  They were unprepared and with inferior uniforms, as well.  They were unprepared in a prepared way--the rank and file didn't quite get the full picture briefing.  But I bet the brass knew what was coming.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

This was back in September, when the protesting people were mostly on the other side of the aisle and their "seditious" behavior was simply agitating for police reform.

QuoteHe said federal law "does not require proof of a plot to overthrow" the government, and someone can be charged with sedition for other anti-government conspiracies, including using force "to oppose" the government's authority, to "prevent, hinder or delay" the execution of the law, and to "seize, take or possess" government property.
Like...say, attempting to mob legislators to prevent them from certifying the election and plundering the Capitol building?

Unbeliever

I feel less concern now about the inauguration being violently disrupted, since the Trump cultists won't be underestimated again. They've shown how far they are willing to go for their hero, and forewarned is forearmed.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

GSOgymrat

I don't agree with Mitt Romney's politics but I have respected his willingness to repeatedly go against the groupthink of his party and stand up to Trump knowing there would be a backlash. I understand why Republicans nominated him for president.

“We gather due to a selfish man’s injured pride and the outrage of supporters who we had deliberately misinformed for the past two months and stirred to action this very morning."

“What happened here today was an insurrection incited by the president of the United States. Those who choose to continue to support his dangerous gambit by objecting to the results of a legitimate democratic election will forever be seen as being complicit in an unprecedented attack against our democracy.”

"The objectors have claimed they are doing so on behalf of the voters. Have an audit, they say, to satisfy the many people who believe that the election was stolen. Please! No congressional-led audit will ever convince those voters, particularly when the President will continue to claim that the election was stolen. The best way we can show respect for the voters who are upset is by telling them the truth. That is the burden, and the duty, of leadership."

drunkenshoe

I enjoyed the second vid. How is it possible that these people are not aware of the damage they are giving to their party by this sort of bullshit? How?

She obviously posted that video very soon after to somewhere utterly public and it was picked up in a short time. A few days? It's a video showing how she was put in her place by a politician. Even with sheer stupidity, sticky kind of self entitlement and tunnel vision, she should have recognised she produced a losing video as far as the general social media rules go, beyond the situation. I don't know if that makes sense to you but it's really weird. Fascinating.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 10, 2021, 04:41:14 AM
I enjoyed the second vid. How is it possible that these people are not aware of the damage they are giving to their party by this sort of bullshit? How?
I'm still waiting for some polls to see if or how much the insurrection hurt the Republican Party.  I'm thinking maybe it's been hurt some, but not a lot.  The Republican Party is still a force to be reckoned with, and it's basic election hijacking methods are still firmly in place.  Gerrymandering and voter suppression unethical but legal are still integral parts of the system.  They need these tactics to compete.  If they employ fraud (as in illegal), we don't know. 

The coup was suppressed quickly, but the ideology of insurrection is still alive and well.  It has only taken one punch.  And in spite of all the patriotic flag waving, these people believe insurrection is a viable part of democracy, even if it doesn't have a constitutional amendment protecting it.  The question is how big is that group?  That's what the polls may tell us.

Trump lost the election, and he lost it fair and square, but that aside, he did amazingly well, amazingly (I sound like Trump), just amazingly.  Conservatives seemed to come out of the woodwork in this last election His supporters love him and will go to jail for him.  You can't buy that kind of support, and the Party needs these people.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2021, 08:18:14 AM
Is it odd that over 74 million people voted for Trump but, to my knowledge, no one on this forum has voiced their support?

Not really.  It depends on the target audience.  Support for Trump among Atheists is far lower than among Evangelicals.

Go to a city which votes 97% Democrat and compare to a deeply rural small town, and you will see different levels of support for Trump as well.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Shiranu

Blue Lives Matter.

(After we knock them unconscious, drag them down the stairs and beat them with the flag because we love America.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 10, 2021, 01:21:15 PM
Not really.  It depends on the target audience.  Support for Trump among Atheists is far lower than among Evangelicals.

Go to a city which votes 97% Democrat and compare to a deeply rural small town, and you will see different levels of support for Trump as well.

Yes, but we have forum members who clearly enjoy being contrarian. People breeze through here and defended white supremacy, genocide, holocaust denial, all kinds of religions, and tentacle rape but not something as mainstream as supporting Trump. This is an atheist forum but I doubt Trump is sincerely a man of faith, he's just made a very profitable deal with evangelicals-- they got him elected. There are people on here with whom I share little in common yet even those people don't come to Trump's defense. I find it odd.

Blackleaf

A few recent events have been interesting to me. First the "Fox News sucks" parade, and now Republicans accusing Republican candidates of being traitors and not being "elected legally." I suppose I should have seen it coming. After decades of Republican politicians, Conservative religious figures, and Conservative media telling people that the Democrats are evil, hate God, and hate America, many were convinced. So of course when you don't give your unconditional support to someone like Trump, you must be a traitor. If the Republicans are God's servants and patriots, and Democrats are devil worshippers who want to destroy America, then of course you're a traitor if you criticize Trump or vote to certify Biden as President. The Republicans created this monster, and now these people who see the world in black and white are turning against them like Frankenstein's Monster. And of course, now they are convinced that they can just declare any politician they don't like of having won by fraudulent means. I wonder who taught them that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--