News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Trump is now permanently suspended from Twitter. With a typical individual, this would be an inconvenience but with Trump it is going to seriously impact how he communicates with his supporters. It will also impede his ability to create media distractions and target his enemies. I imagine he is infuriated.

I'm sure there will be some people who think this is a freedom of speech issue but I disagree. Twitter is a private corporation, not a public utility, and they have the right to pick and choose their members, just as moderators here have the right to ban whomever they like for any reason. Trump can establish his own website or start his own social media company. Free market capitalism, baby.

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2021, 01:04:44 AM
Trump is now permanently suspended from Twitter. With a typical individual, this would be an inconvenience but with Trump it is going to seriously impact how he communicates with his supporters. It will also impede his ability to create media distractions and target his enemies. I imagine he is infuriated.

I'm sure there will be some people who think this is a freedom of speech issue but I disagree. Twitter is a private corporation, not a public utility, and they have the right to pick and choose their members, just as moderators here have the right to ban whomever they like for any reason. Trump can establish his own website or start his own social media company. Free market capitalism, baby.

Yeah, see. Conservatives only value freedom of expression when it's THEIR freedom of expression. They're more than happy to demand that NFL players be fired for kneeling during the National Anthem, but Heaven forbid someone have their Twitter account suspended for inciting violence or saying something racist.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2021, 01:04:44 AM

Yeah...agreed. His supporters over here too are going about freedom of speech...considering their realities and pop culture, it's sickening. They are happy whenever somebody says something different is silenced, esp. from a minorty and their usual attitude is "This is not free speech, it is incitement of violence!" 

I don't know if it makes sense to you, but is that really Trump's 'personal' account after all this in the presidency? And does that count as freedom of speech in this case? (Doesn't matter if it oppened it as a personal one. I don't mean that.) If you are an administration official, that's your key role. That's your account. He also has other roles. But people don't evalaute his social media accounts from that point of view, do they? So isn't it more like the 45th president that got the ban in this case because the vendor didn't want to be involved in a high crime?

Having said that, this also will have other kind of consequences considering the Q morons. Now there will be lots of fake accounts, saviours, heroes sending coooode messages...then at some point he will open a new one...etc. What  a mess. The sooner he opens a new one the better. But then he is Trump. I'm not sure.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

A talking head on CNN this morning was describing how Trump's behavior will cause an internal debate in the GOP. Will the party return to a more rational party like the days of John McCain, or will it now become the party of Trump?  I don't pretend to know, and I don't believe the talking head knows either. 

But my point is how context changes over time.  Lets see.  First, John McCain lost the election.  Trump won at least one election.  Which is better for the GOP? Second but closer to the point, how rational was the party of John McCain?  Wasn't he the candidate that chose a rationally challenged side kick to follow in his death?  A sidekick that was always at his side to answer the questions directed at McCain with the most unbelievably laughable answers? That seemed like the party of Looney Tunes back then.  Granted the talking head was a Democrat, but even his standard for "rational and responsible" is shaped by today's context.

Mr.Obvious

It's easier to critisize those in power.
And I shall never claim to have an unbiased view.
But these last few, months... What an absolute nest of legionless snakes these republican leaders have shown them to be. Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Pence, McConnell...
I'm not quite there in counting all Republicans as the same. But even of those that are 'alright', i am dumbfounded as to how  you can actively and in good conscience stay part of what has clearly shown itself to be a cancerous growth on democracy.
Honestly the blatant pivoting on the capitol siege and the shameless refusal to acknowledge their part in all of this, should not be surprising. And honestly, at this point, it isn't. But it is no less revolting and not a damn bit easier to swallow.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

Is it odd that over 74 million people voted for Trump but, to my knowledge, no one on this forum has voiced their support?

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2021, 08:18:14 AM
Is it odd that over 74 million people voted for Trump but, to my knowledge, no one on this forum has voiced their support?
I'd be curious to see some national polls about political affiliations right now.  I'm not guessing that they have changed.  I'd just like to see them.

Shiranu

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2021, 08:18:14 AM

Honestly, a little bit.

My guess if pr was still here he would be in favor of him, and I think Munch might have been in favor (and not just excusing him)... but I cant really be assed to go through his history to remember.

Overall though I don't think this forum is even close to "leftist", I think most of us are just smart enough to realize far-right ideology is hot-garbage. It doesn't hurt that it's also what fundamentalists tend to lean towards, so even more reason to turn us off to it.
Now that I think about it, I think that's probably a big part of it; even when we had pretty conservative members, they generally haven't been pro-Republican due to the religious ties of the party.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

I have a close friend back in Montana that has been worried about Trump's mental state since before the election.  He said several times he was worried about Trump starting a war, and of course that was always a risk, but starting wars is second nature for Americans, so it wouldn't be that weird if Trump started one. We saw early on that Trump was dividing America, but again, our leaders have been doing that for as long as I've been following politics.  But an attempt to overthrow the democratic process was truly a bold move, but even there gerrymandering and voter suppression have always run contrary to the democratic process.  This was just one step closer.  But that's how you topple a democracy; One step at a time.

drunkenshoe

I'm curious about what went on with the cops. Is it a few idiot or something more beyond the 'cautions' Trump took.

I'm sure there are hundreds of cameras there in that building, not to mention the hidden ones. They can just pull their footage and see.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 09, 2021, 09:30:39 AM
I'm curious about what went on with the cops. Is it a few idiot or something more beyond the 'cautions' Trump took.
The Capitol police were unprepared.  I don't know why they were unprepared.  Because it was not a BLM protest?  Even avoiding saying that "Everyone knew it was coming," the cops should have known it was an extreme high risk event.  And the Capitol Police Chief did resign the next day.  The police were not ready.  I don't know how large the Capitol Police Force is.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on January 09, 2021, 11:13:14 AM
The Capitol police were unprepared.  I don't know why they were unprepared.  Because it was not a BLM protest?  Even avoiding saying that "Everyone knew it was coming," the cops should have known it was an extreme high risk event.  And the Capitol Police Chief did resign the next day.  The police were not ready.  I don't know how large the Capitol Police Force is.

Maybe they thought they'd have a smaller turnout and figured they'd be able to handle it. I have a cousin who insisted that Republicans are all bark and no bite, but it's easy in retrospect to judge the police for not having done enough to prepare. I mean, there were people there from several states away. Did they hear Trump's speech and immediate hop on a plane to DC? Or was at least part of this planned in advance? Surely, Trump's call for an insurrection that same day had an effect, but I'd think they'd need at least a few days to prepare something like this.
--Fulke Greville--