News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Arkansas police chief resigns over calling for violence against Democrats

QuoteIn addition to repeatedly saying Democrats should be killed, he shared memes from conspiracy theory QAnon and claimed that the election was being stolen.

Blackleaf

Somebody had on Fox News in the break room today. Probably the same person who keeps turning it on to the religious channels on Sundays... But it was kind of interesting hearing how they were talking about the Biden victory. They weren't in denial about Biden's victory, and it almost seemed to me like they were relieved. Of course, this is still Fox News, so mileage will vary based on the show you're watching there.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 08, 2020, 11:10:20 PM
Somebody had on Fox News in the break room today. Probably the same person who keeps turning it on to the religious channels on Sundays... But it was kind of interesting hearing how they were talking about the Biden victory. They weren't in denial about Biden's victory, and it almost seemed to me like they were relieved. Of course, this is still Fox News, so mileage will vary based on the show you're watching there.
There are some indications that Murdoch and his media group are turning on Trump.  The 'straight news' anchors haven't been hesitant about calling the talking heads' misinformation exactly that, which suggests the corporate Christmas party should be an interesting affair...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Sometimes, I go on the conservative side of reddit just to see if they're making any solid points or looking at something from an angle I didn't consider.

I went there a few hours ago and it was all about Donnie having a real chance of winning, fake ballots, and the MSM (apparently including Fox News lol) calling this race prematurely.

Now it's all concern trolling about crowds (they seem to have no objection to crowds, even maskless ones, for much, much longer periods of time but when it's against trump they suddenly have a problem) and general hatred towards liberals, so normal for them.  It takes them a while to figure out the obvious, but that's kinda their thing.

Interestingly, both a conservative subreddit and a liberal one cited the recent statement from George W Bush.

Conservative headline:  George W. Bush: Trump Has Right To Pursue Recounts And Legal Challenges Over Election
Liberal headline:  George W. Bush: "I just talked to the President-elect of the United States, Joe Biden. I extended my warm congratulations and thanked him for the patriotic message he delivered last night. I also called Kamala Harris to congratulate her on her historic election."

Actual text

As can be expected, the liberals transcribed the opening lines verbatim while the conservatives cherry-picked what they wanted out of it and discarded the rest.  Who to trust for my news?

Hydra009

https://circle.tufts.edu/latest-research/election-week-2020

Well, at least the polling about young people's preferences is accurate.  The narrow results had me worried that maybe the youngsters had fallen a peg.  Instead, they helped break the battleground states for Biden.  We would be talking about President Trump's second term right now if they had just stayed home.

If these demographic trends continue, the GOP might be in a real demographic bind in 10-20 years.  Not to put to fine a point on it, but there aren't more Boomers in the US than there was a year ago.  And although the white nationalist crowd is no doubt more active than they have been in decades, they're no spring chickens, either.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on November 08, 2020, 08:15:32 PM
Trump seems awful quiet lately, or has the media lost interest in him?  I know he's working on his court case stuff.  Well his lawyers are, but it's not like him to remain silent for more than 20 minutes.

Ha! The price of tweeting like an asshole, lying through your teeth for 4 years because you know people have to pay attention due to your station is that the moment you lose it, nobody's going to give the slightest fuck.

They won't even make him a meme. They won't even make fun of him because people won't even get pisssed off at him. And that was his only act. This was the antidote of that plague I guess and now the herd immunity is achieved.

He'll try anything probably. Don't be surprised if he tries to create scandals.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Crazy stuff is happening here. Minister of economy has resigned and there was no news on the tv channels. All over social media though. (The minister was his son in law. LOL, yeah.) Head of the central bank was removed. I have no idea if this is some ruse or something real is going on. :boohoo: The fear of the American Democrats? What? I didn't say anything. :kidra:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 09, 2020, 03:23:41 AM
Ha! The price of tweeting like an asshole, lying through your teeth for 4 years because you know people have to pay attention due to your station is that the moment you lose it, nobody's going to give the slightest fuck.

He'll try anything probably. Don't be surprised if he tries to declare create scandals.
I have enjoyed the silence for sure.  It's part of that post election calm not having to hear all about all his toxic comments and divisive tweets. It's embarrassing to me.  He will no doubt remain as an outside agitator and a powerful voice against national unity, and he will gain some attention, but he won't have the power to directly push the buttons of discord.  He turned the presidency into a job that would be better off left unfilled.  An empty desk in the White House would be an improvement.  I don't expect much from Biden, but he's preferable to that lunatic.

SGOS

Quote“Every legal challenge should be heard,” Representative Kevin McCarthy of California said. “Then and only then will America decide who won the race.”Credit...Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times
Well OK, but a 4 million plus vote from a majority works too, and presidents have been seated with far less.  I hope we don't have to go through this every time some loser gets his ass kicked in an election from now on.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 09, 2020, 03:31:57 AM
Crazy stuff is happening here. Minister of economy has resigned and there was no news on the tv channels. All over social media though. (The minister was his son in law. LOL, yeah.) Head of the central bank was removed. I have no idea if this is some ruse or something real is going on. :boohoo: The fear of the American Democrats? What? I didn't say anything. :kidra:
It's times like this when a little help from the media could be useful.  Mysterious actions by a government are spooky, and don't build confidence in leadership.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 09, 2020, 04:25:27 AM
An empty desk in the White House would be an improvement.  I don't expect much from Biden, but he's preferable to that lunatic.
I am a natural optimist (one reason these last 4 yrs have been so hard for me) and I think you may be selling Biden a bit short.  This is my thought at this moment--feel free to kick holes in it. :)  Biden is just the right personality that is needed right now.  He has 50yrs of political 'service'.  He knows the people in congress and the other 'movers and shakers'.  He is highly regarded in most circles in DC.  He has a history of caring (or at least respecting) for people, has a reputation of being a healer, of being able to be empathetic and sympathetic.  He has a task of undoing the trump evil and I think he can do that long, slow job.  He will not do anything groundbreaking, but doing repair work, work that he has done in the past (just not to the level he will need to do it now).  I do not see him fired up, or even caring much about, any career building that a younger politician would care about. I can even see him stepping down after 4 years of repair and letting the younger dems take over.  Biden does not have an ego problem.  I see him thinking of himself of more of a bridge than hard-charger for change.  Anyway, he very well may be just the thing we need now in DC. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 09, 2020, 09:01:39 AM
I am a natural optimist (one reason these last 4 yrs have been so hard for me) and I think you may be selling Biden a bit short. 
I just don't expect much from him.  He made that clear.  Not sure that's selling him short.  But I'm open to progress.  Boy am I open!  Right now the Republicans are the progressive party.  Dems are dragging their feet just following along, and didn't accomplish much during Obama.  He bailed out a bunch of corrupt bankers, and came up with health insurance that helped the needy, but helped the private insurance companies more. Where's that money come from?   Now we have Obama light, but without a sympathetic Senate. 

Hey, I'm relieved to have Trump out.  Maybe it's up to Dems to be the conservative party holding the line on progress, and if that's all people want, so be it.  Biden may surprise me, and I'd like nothing more than to tell everyone he surprised the heck out of me, and I will do that happily if it somehow happens.  But I don't expect much.  Right now the Democratic party is focused on winning moderates from the Republicans.  They are ignoring the progressive wing of the party, and Biden made that clear.  I and other progressives are just expected to vote Democratic because we owe it to them for not being assholes or something.  Right now I'm still basking in the glow of Trump's absence.  That's all I expected to get out this election.  I'm feeling good, and I will never EVER regret Trump's absence.  So that's a good thing.  I'm doing well, I'm financially secure and don't mind isolating.  I don't really need anything from Biden for myself.  But for some stupid reason I have a deep concern over the direction of our country, and I'll probably take that to my grave.

Cassia

I only need for them not to fuck up the affordable care act. Finally have reasonable coverage at a decent cost or vice versa. Of course that orange splash of voted-out hog-smegma has filed with that supreme court of religious jesters to overthrow my policy in the middle of a pandemic.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 09, 2020, 04:45:17 AM
It's times like this when a little help from the media could be useful.  Mysterious actions by a government are spooky, and don't build confidence in leadership.

The media is part of the problem, not part of the solution.  But a true believer will accept the benedictions of the priests of politics
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on November 09, 2020, 11:47:36 AM
I only need for them not to fuck up the affordable care act. Finally have reasonable coverage at a decent cost or vice versa. Of course that orange splash of voted-out hog-smegma has filed with that supreme court of religious jesters to overthrow my policy in the middle of a pandemic.

I won't obey dictatorial ACA, but if it works for you, good on you.  Voluntary ACA isn't communism, just fraud (like all health insurance).

Have to joke, how Dems are like Born Again Christians who have see Jesus reappear in the White House.  Crazy like people on drugs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.