News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2020, 08:24:02 AM
... Traditionally, Republicans have gotten their financial support from corporations, but in the case of Trump, I suspect he has experienced a falloff from his corporate donors, who don't expect him to be around much longer.  It would make more financial sense for CEOs to give that money to senators, because Trump's chances for election have always been iffy.  ...

Ah...Ok. Thanks.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2020, 08:49:28 AM
Hmmmm...................'cockwrappers'.............hadn't heard that one before. :)))

LOOL I'm just making those as I go, I swear. It is not conscious if it means something. If it has a specific meaning, enlighten me. I use it here. ROFL But they recognise the word cock and most people don't get it is just the rooster, cough. ALso they get the holly but they think it is holy, lol. Hush.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

This is truly grimm, but I already understand the frailty of democracy, so it's not like a total surprise.  Frankly, I'd rather have Trump win legitimately, than to watch democracy fail.  But I think it will fail, maybe not this year, but then maybe this year.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2020, 12:24:16 PM
This is truly grimm, but I already understand the frailty of democracy, so it's not like a total surprise.  Frankly, I'd rather have Trump win legitimately, than to watch democracy fail.  But I think it will fail, maybe not this year, but then maybe this year.

If Trump wins, he will continue to grab power for the Republican party. Trump has been taking advice from William Barr. And if that doesn't scare you... Watch this, and it will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE63HmOYGps

Basically, if Trump wins, we're fucked. Trump thinks he's a king who can do whatever he wants. A legitimate Trump victory would only fuel that mindset. He might even decide he can stay beyond his two terms, if he wants to. This needs to be nipped in the bud now, not later.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2020, 12:24:16 PM
Trump cannot win 'legitimately' because of all the shit he has pulled.  If he is declared the next president, that will be the end of the republic as we thought we knew it.  He will become a dictator/mob boss and that will be that.  But, even if Biden wins, that does not mean we will save the 'republic', nor will we ever go back to the way it was.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2020, 02:06:35 PM
Trump cannot win 'legitimately' because of all the shit he has pulled.  If he is declared the next president, that will be the end of the republic as we thought we knew it.  He will become a dictator/mob boss and that will be that.  But, even if Biden wins, that does not mean we will save the 'republic', nor will we ever go back to the way it was.
That's what I think.  But I don't see Trump as the ultimate problem, and I don't see Biden as the solution.  But what we understood about our government was in a large part a myth, and I think you and I recognized much of this a long time ago.  Technically, it never was a democracy except those that came before us maintained it as a democracy.  We have a republic that we cooperatively treated like a democracy.  So what's bad about a republic?  Well, the Soviet Union comes to mind, and that place was a shit hole.

If Trump refuses to leave, he will be installed not by the people, but a small group controlled by the wealth of the country.  Or it could be someone no one has ever heard of.  "The people" will simply be removed from the equation altogether and replaced by something like a Politburo. 

I predicted this, but I didn't think I'd see it in my life.  And I don't imagine seeing it recycling itself 4, 8, or 12 years down the road.  Our leaders will have grown used to it, and would have little reason to give it up.  Democracy is not some self correcting system.  It only works with cooperation, and as divided as the country is, cooperation is no longer even on the table.  We have been trained from the top down to divide ourselves rather than unify so that someone else can step in and control.  Was this the plan or some inevitable outcome?  I don't know.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2020, 03:44:10 PM
That's what I think.  But I don't see Trump as the ultimate problem, and I don't see Biden as the solution.  But what we understood about our government was in a large part a myth, and I think you and I recognized much of this a long time ago.  Technically, it never was a democracy except those that came before us maintained it as a democracy.  We have a republic that we cooperatively treated like a democracy.  So what's bad about a republic?  Well, the Soviet Union comes to mind, and that place was a shit hole.

If Trump refuses to leave, he will be installed not by the people, but a small group controlled by the wealth of the country.  Or it could be someone no one has ever heard of.  "The people" will simply be removed from the equation altogether and replaced by something like a Politburo. 

I predicted this, but I didn't think I'd see it in my life.  And I don't imagine seeing it recycling itself 4, 8, or 12 years down the road.  Our leaders will have grown used to it, and would have little reason to give it up.  Democracy is not some self correcting system.  It only works with cooperation, and as divided as the country is, cooperation is no longer even on the table.  We have been trained from the top down to divide ourselves rather than unify so that someone else can step in and control.  Was this the plan or some inevitable outcome?  I don't know.
The entire last four years, including this election, no matter who 'wins' has caused me to begin the process of rethinking and reevaluating,  what our country has been, is now and what it will become.  Not an easy task for me--there is just so much I find bewildering.  I am simply still floored by the amount of hatred that is this country.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2020, 09:25:21 AM
In the wee hours of election night when I scanned the map for data on states, Trump was 6 points ahead in Pennsylvania (or was it 8 points).  This year in some ways resembles 2016, which hourly diary went something like:

09 PM Hillary projected to win!
10 PM Hillary projected to win!
11 PM Hillary projected to win! 
12 AM Hillary projected to win!
01 AM Hillary projected to win!
02 AM Hillary projected to win!
03 AM Hillary projected to win!
04 AM Trump wins election!

Well, I guess when it comes down to it, it's quite different.  The only similarity being the end may surprise us.
Assuming everything holds as-is with Trump holding NC and Biden picking off AZ, NV, PA and GA, the electoral vote totals will be 306-232 in Biden's favor... which was the same as Trump and Hillary's EV totals in 2016 (ignoring faithless electors).   I find that to be a tasty little irony.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

"Software 'Glitch' In Michigan Erroneously Gave 1000s Of Votes To Biden; Up To 47 Counties Compromised" ... oops?

"PA USPS Official Willing To Testify Under Oath Over Ballot-Backdating" ... if true, typical Dem

Meanwhile ... how will y'all like civil war?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2020, 05:51:29 PMAssuming everything holds as-is with Trump holding NC
:( I got everyone I know to vote this year.  Literally everyone in the family voted for Biden - solid blues, lean blues, someone who doesn't normally vote and even one Republican who doesn't like Trump.  But apparently us blue city-slickers got outvoted by the rural civil war reenactors.

Now we look like idiots, with Georgia and Arizona showing us up.

Feels bad man.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2020, 06:42:59 PM
:( I got everyone I know to vote this year.  Literally everyone in the family voted for Biden - solid blues, lean blues, someone who doesn't normally vote and even one Republican who doesn't like Trump.  But apparently us blue city-slickers got outvoted by the rural civil war reenactors.

Feels bad man.

Damn Yankees are assholes too ;-)  Or as they should be called now, Coasties.  The richest Coasties own private beaches, that the taxpayer gets to fix when a storm comes along.  Gotta love that great plantation the masters run these days.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2020, 06:42:59 PM

Feels bad man.
As an Ohioan, I know how you feel.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Trump is the pimple we see, the far more dangerous, is the festering infection underneath that pushed him to the top.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust