News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 26, 2020, 09:58:43 PM
I agree but I'm not sure how we get there. America's response to this pandemic has been very discouraging. Often in the past Americans banded together when faced with a threat or disaster but that didn't happen this time. I wish Trump or Congress could be blamed but what is going on in America right now is deep, systemic, sociological, and psychological. This alienation and animosity are multifactorial and can't be fixed simply by electing a new president. That said, Trump has demonstrated no ability to build bridges or de-escalate conflicting factions.

In your false memory.  Remember Korea, Vietnam, race riots?  Maybe among White college graduates that like the same recreational drugs, they all have the same group think.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2020, 12:08:06 PM
In your false memory.  Remember Korea, Vietnam, race riots?  Maybe among White college graduates that like the same recreational drugs, they all have the same group think.

1) I never said what we are experiencing is unprecedented. I didn't say Americans always pulled together. I said we haven't pulled together during the pandemic and the problems we are currently experiencing aren't the result of one factor.

2) I don't know how to fix America's problems.

3) I don't drink alcohol and I've never used recreational drugs.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 27, 2020, 11:51:41 AM
Wrong Lewis. George Orwell didn't invent anything. He wrote brilliant fiction on what should be righfully creditted to Lewis Mumford; his critique of both ideologies at the time which he understood and agreed. Mumford has been exiled a couple of times, at least. They hated what he was saying. Except a very few smart men.   

There is a good book on his work related to his personal life, his influence as one of the 5 sociologists from the same generation, all of them born in 1895, but I can't remember the book's name. Something printed in the late 90s. Mumford is a man who saw and talked about the cold war period in early 1930s as far as I get. If memory serves right, they become friends with Orwell for 4-5 years ? and then seperate around when the war breaks out and never see each other again. Then Orwell dies a short time later. He died very young.   

Lewis Carroll lived decades before Lewis Mumford.  So what inverted Derrida leads to concluding Lewis Carroll is dependent on Lewis Mumford ;-)  Yes, George Orwell was contemporary with Lewis Mumford.  Mumford influenced a lot of people, though George Orwell isn't directly mentioned in Wiki.  Both were progenitors of neo-liberalism.  Thanks for sharing this, I now have another mid-20th century ideological monument to learn more about ;-)

I almost never drink, but I will down a few next week.  Cheers!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2020, 12:37:24 PM
Lewis Carroll lived decades before Lewis Mumford.

And? You think this works like first born, first served?

QuoteMumford influenced a lot of people, though George Orwell isn't directly mentioned in Wiki.  Both were progenitors of neo-liberalism.

Yes, he is not mentioned in wiki. This is an assumption made by a researcher. A reasonable one made by tracking Mumford's work back/around to their encounter. There isn't anyone else and we know they've met. If you read about their lives you'd get the climate and their situation. It is pretty depressing. It seems Mumford had had a bad life. He's been pushed out from everywhere, exiled, his work edited all over, they worked behind of his back not to publish anything he wrote...etc. But you need to read about a few people from the same generation to get that. Stop sticking an -ism on him.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Wiki has a huge article on Orwell though the one on Mumford is considerable.  I guess Orwell was even more influential on "letters" in the 20th century.  If this influence can be shown, it should be added to the article.

---

"Hunter Biden Confesses Partnership With China 'Spy Chief' -- Fumes After He And Joe Named As Criminal Witnesses" ... best not to lie when under oath, they may actually punish that

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

bob nelson

Like I said, this has become a religion for some people. Respect other people's opinions and live your life to the best ability that you can. I came to this web-site (atheist forum) to be able to talk to others about our common beliefs (or un-beliefs). Any one that gets that angry about any thing and makes things personal or becomes un-hinged about their political leanings should take a breath and remember, we're ALL just pee-ons in this world. In the grand scheme of things, we all just live to die. And we will all die alone.  We're all insignificate.

SGOS

Quote from: bob nelson on October 27, 2020, 05:10:29 PM
Any one that gets that angry about any thing and makes things personal or becomes un-hinged about their political leanings should take a breath
I agree.  Does this apply to you too, or are you exempt?

Baruch

Like I said, this has become a religion for some people. Respect other people's opinions and live your life to the best ability that you can. I came to this web-site (atheist forum) to be able to talk to others about our common beliefs (or un-beliefs). Any one that gets that angry about any thing and makes things personal or becomes un-hinged about their political leanings should take a breath and remember, we're ALL just pee-ons in this world. In the grand scheme of things, we all just live to die. And we will all die alone.  We're all insignificate.

Common no-religion beliefs are cool.  Other beliefs not so cool.  I hope you are making progress on your reconciliation of what you now believe.

I agree that anger is silly, that taking entertainment (and politics is like sport for most people, we are non-participating fans) too seriously is sad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Good advice--why don't you try living it. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

I'm not angry. I just think you have bad arguments. Or more accurately, bad excuses for not even trying to give any arguments. At least, I think you do. You don't an avatar, so I don't know how seriously I can take you.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 27, 2020, 08:29:57 PM
I'm not angry. I just think you have bad arguments. Or more accurately, bad excuses for not even trying to give any arguments. At least, I think you do. You don't an avatar, so I don't know how seriously I can take you.

Good arguments, like how Trump is Putin's lover?

"President Trump's Campaign Website Was Just Hacked" ... most executives won't pay real money for real IT security ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 27, 2020, 08:29:57 PM
I'm not angry. I just think you have bad arguments. Or more accurately, bad excuses for not even trying to give any arguments.
I think he has a hard time understanding who's angry.  There maybe some people in the forum who are actually angry, because he came in with a metaphorical baseball bat ranting on how vile liberals are.  It's like he's exercising his right to be completely uncivil to a group he expresses hatred toward and expects people to applaud his keen insight.  His problem may just be with his socialization skills.  Being told he's acting like a jerk, doesn't necessarily mean people are angry at him, and since this made him angry, maybe he's the one who needs to chill out.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 28, 2020, 04:22:07 AM
I think he has a hard time understanding who's angry.  There maybe some people in the forum who are actually angry, because he came in with a metaphorical baseball bat ranting on how vile liberals are.  It's like he's exercising his right to be completely uncivil to a group he expresses hatred toward and expects people to applaud his keen insight.  His problem may just be with his socialization skills.  Being told he's acting like a jerk, doesn't necessarily mean people are angry at him, and since this made him angry, maybe he's the one who needs to chill out.
Exactly.
And if what he says is true about his relationship with his family, he seems to make it a habit of pissing off those around him, as well.  He seems to like to piss people off--it's his nature.  Maybe he should just stick to listening to his death metal stuff and leave the rest of the world alone.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Say good bye to the economy for a while. Huge Layoffs, Covid-19 Europe shutdown, US record virus new cases, no stimulus S&P down about 5% in 2 days...I may buy some more. Not good for incumbents a week out.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on October 28, 2020, 11:28:32 AM
Say good bye to the economy for a while. Huge Layoffs, Covid-19 Europe shutdown, US record virus new cases, no stimulus S&P down about 5% in 2 days...I may buy some more. Not good for incumbents a week out.

We should have had mandatory retirement of all incumbents after 12 years in office, 8 years for President.  Two terms max, unless in the House (max six terms).  Our politicians are entitled Caligulas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.