News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 17, 2020, 06:44:16 AM
I haven't been out a lot but I've seen people with Trump t-shirts, hats, face masks, lawn signs, bumper stickers and giant flags. I've seen maybe a couple of Biden bumper stickers.

MAGA Visibility Is Making Democrats Nervous

... But this year the COVID-19 pandemic has understandably led Biden-Harris strategists to rely on more remote mobilization techniques, at least so far. And the contrast with the extremely visible advocates of MAGA, who are far less inhibited by public health guidance, is making some Democrats nervous, as TIME’s Charlotte Alter discovered in Michigan:

This year, 83-year old former Chrysler employee [Don Sabbe] says he’ll definitely vote for Joe Biden, but he’s getting concerned about Biden’s campaign here in Michigan.

“I can’t even find a sign,” Sabbe says outside a Kroger’s in Sterling Heights, where surrounding cars fly massive Donald Trump flags that say “No More Bullsh-t” and fellow shoppers wear Trump T-shirts for their weekend grocery runs. “I’m looking for one of those storefronts. I’m looking for a campaign office for Biden. And I’m not finding one.”

The reason Sabbe can’t find a dedicated Biden campaign field office is because there aren’t any around here. Not in Macomb County, the swing region where Sabbe lives. It’s not even clear Biden has opened any new dedicated field offices in the state; because of the pandemic, they’ve moved their field organizing effort online. ...

I have not seen many Trump signs around here, even where I remember seeing them four years ago.  They're definitely fewer and further between.

On one street, I was treated to the spectacularly willfully blind "TRUMP 2020 NO MORE BULLSHIT" sign on one side of the street... and directly across was a yard sign simply saying "FUCK TRUMP".

I think I'll definitely call this the weirdest Presidential campaign I've ever seen.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Since our longest war is winding down, I guess we'll need another enemy soon. My expectation is that it will be Iran, and soon, likely even before the coming ''election.''
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2020, 08:11:35 PM
Since our longest war is winding down, I guess we'll need another enemy soon. My expectation is that it will be Iran, and soon, likely even before the coming ''election.''

I would hope not.  Isn't a new US Civil War enough to boost the economy?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I fully expect to see the USA use a nuke before Trump's second term is finished. Maybe Iran, maybe Venezuela, maybe N. Korea, or maybe someplace not in play yet.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Biden nears 50% in polls - both nationally and in key battleground states

QuoteAccording to the latest RealClearPolitics average, Biden is sitting at 49.3 percent in national surveys and has a 6.2 percentage point lead over President Donald Trump. That’s significantly higher than Clinton’s 44.9 percent mark this time four years ago, which was good for only a 1 point lead.
6 point lead compared to Clinton's 1 point lead this time 4 years (Is "years" correct?  Cause they feel like decades) ago.

QuoteIt’s the same story in many of the battleground states: Biden is at or within 2 points of majority support in enough states to lock down an Electoral College victory, compared with Clinton’s low- to mid-40s scores in mid-September 2016 in the same states, some of which she would end up losing as late-deciding voters went decisively for Trump.
Don't uncork the champagne though.  Get out and vote like it's your last opportunity to vote.  Cause it might be.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2020, 10:42:16 PM
I fully expect to see the USA use a nuke before Trump's second term is finished. Maybe Iran, maybe Venezuela, maybe N. Korea, or maybe someplace not in play yet.

Boys love fires, the bigger the better.  Women are more practical eg cooking only.  No, nuke California and any other Confederate/Dem state.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Also, Biden polls better than Trump with Independents: 57% to Trump's paltry 36%

That's a substantial improvement over Clinton, who only got 42% of Independents.

A worrying thing about these polls is that whites are apparently evenly split between Biden and Trump.  But apparently, it's fairly common for whites to be torn between R and D candidates - in every presidential election including and since 1972, whites have leaned R - the only times it's been even close have been with Jimmy Carter and both of Bill Clinton's presidential races.  The Republicans' Southern Strategy of inflaming and then exploiting racial hatreds for personal gain has largely been successful, though Ol' Reliable seems to be over-milked as of late.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 17, 2020, 06:44:16 AM
I haven't been out a lot but I've seen people with Trump t-shirts, hats, face masks, lawn signs, bumper stickers and giant flags. I've seen maybe a couple of Biden bumper stickers.

MAGA Visibility Is Making Democrats Nervous

... But this year the COVID-19 pandemic has understandably led Biden-Harris strategists to rely on more remote mobilization techniques, at least so far. And the contrast with the extremely visible advocates of MAGA, who are far less inhibited by public health guidance, is making some Democrats nervous, as TIME’s Charlotte Alter discovered in Michigan:

This year, 83-year old former Chrysler employee [Don Sabbe] says he’ll definitely vote for Joe Biden, but he’s getting concerned about Biden’s campaign here in Michigan.

“I can’t even find a sign,” Sabbe says outside a Kroger’s in Sterling Heights, where surrounding cars fly massive Donald Trump flags that say “No More Bullsh-t” and fellow shoppers wear Trump T-shirts for their weekend grocery runs. “I’m looking for one of those storefronts. I’m looking for a campaign office for Biden. And I’m not finding one.”

The reason Sabbe can’t find a dedicated Biden campaign field office is because there aren’t any around here. Not in Macomb County, the swing region where Sabbe lives. It’s not even clear Biden has opened any new dedicated field offices in the state; because of the pandemic, they’ve moved their field organizing effort online. ...

Oddly, since I moved to a remote part of Virginia, I have lived in a sea of Republican signs.  Many people here have left their Trump signs up since 2016, only updating the year of the election.  In a 50 mile radius from my house, I have never seen one sign supporting a Democrat.. Until this year.  There are two Biden signs within 10 miles of my house that showed up in the last month.  I was stunned.

Jason Harvestdancer

Trump won't nuke.  He is much less consistent on the military than a career politician, since he came up by a different route.  His personal focus starts and ends with the economy, and other stuff is to please his base.

He even called out the leadership of the military.  As a vet I can say the grunts don't much like the leadership.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on September 22, 2020, 09:51:01 PMHe is much less consistent on the military than a career politician, since he came up by a different route.
Is that code for "horribly unqualified, erratic, and basically impossible to consult, therefore his policy positions are all over the place"?

QuoteHis personal focus starts and ends with the economy
The economy is certainly his favorite talking point (though less so today, for some reason).  Basically, if the stock market is high, he tells his cultists that he did it and they believe him.

QuoteHe even called out the leadership of the military
He got into infantile spats with people who have vastly more knowledge and expertise them him.  He may have occasionally come to a reasonable conclusion (exhibit A: Bolton) but the process by which he arrived there is a goddamn trainwreck.

QuoteAs a vet I can say the grunts don't much like the leadership.
Evidentially.  Trump lags behind Biden even in the military, which is quite a feat considering that Biden is allegedly some super-left commie.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on September 22, 2020, 09:51:01 PM
Trump won't nuke.  He is much less consistent on the military than a career politician, since he came up by a different route.  His personal focus starts and ends with the economy, and other stuff is to please his base.

He even called out the leadership of the military.  As a vet I can say the grunts don't much like the leadership.

Obama was like Gandhi!  Michelle loves George W!  Psychosis yet?

The leadership murdered thousands of grunts in Korea and Vietnam (but the grunts were draftees).  Volunteer military is professional, they won't take that kind of crap from the leadership again.

The Leftist model is that the US military is just like the Russian military in 1917 ... but then they smoke heavy shit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRxe6HAV-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

Swing and a miss and another miss and oops we've created a mentally unstable mob full of people unglued from reality.  Help them out and educate them a little bit or point them at our political enemies?

GSOgymrat

I don't have any illusions about changing the minds of Trump supporters just as I can't imagine my own opinion of Trump changing. I would ask them the classic election question "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?"

Republicans have been in charge so if you like how things are in 2020 then keep the same politicians in office.