News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Biden enacts federal mask mandate, repeals Muslim ban, and rejoins the Paris climate agreement

QuoteThe president is also reorganising the way the White House’s institutional approach to the coronavirus pandemic, bringing back an Obama-era position within the administration entitled the Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense.

QuoteMr Biden will have the US formally rejoin the World Health Organisation (WHO)

QuoteMr Biden will halt construction of Mr Trump’s wall along the US-Mexico border by revoking the national emergency declaration the former president issued in 2018 to siphon money away from other Pentagon projects.

QuoteA second environment-focused executive order will cut off private companies from drilling for oil and gas on federal lands, which will immediately halt construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.
Terrible news.  I'd much rather he spent the day golfing, shilling beans, and pardoning criminals who did crimes on his behalf.

Shiranu

Watching the inauguration and hearing so much talk about the "peaceful transfer of power" got me to thinking...

We really didn't see that today. What we saw today was the peaceful reclaiming of power.

For the last 4 years, we have been essentially without a president; yes, Trump held that office but he not once in his time there actually showed the slightest desire to actually fulfill the duties required of him. He wanted the prestige and the power, but never wanted any of the work that came along with it.

I think Biden's inauguration was just about perfect, and I'm glad they decided to make it such a relatively public spectacle rather than be behind-closed-doors for safety concerns. I love that they showed him attending formal responsibilities like going to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or inspecting the troops and that for the first time in 4 years we have a president who understands the somber duties that are required of him. I really loved just how much of the ceremonial aspects of the inauguration they showed, which doesn't seem to be the norm.

All in all, it legitimately just felt like the country exhaled and can finally move on from an abusive relationship with someone who has been using us and putting us down for the last few years.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 20, 2021, 10:18:52 PMI think Biden's inauguration was just about perfect, and I'm glad they decided to make it such a relatively public spectacle rather than be behind-closed-doors for safety concerns. I love that they showed him attending formal responsibilities like going to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or inspecting the troops and that for the first time in 4 years we have a president who understands the somber duties that are required of him. I really loved just how much of the ceremonial aspects of the inauguration they showed, which doesn't seem to be the norm.

All in all, it legitimately just felt like the country exhaled and can finally move on from an abusive relationship with someone who has been using us and putting us down for the last few years.
I'm also glad it was relatively subdued, people wearing masks, no giant crowds or people acting crazy.  We've had enough of crazy.  It really sent the message that we have an actual leader again who takes the presidential duties seriously and takes the virus threat seriously.  A reestablishment of order and competence after so much chaos and incompetence.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on January 20, 2021, 10:18:52 PM
... For the last 4 years, we have been essentially without a president; yes, Trump held that office but he not once in his time there actually showed the slightest desire to actually fulfill the duties required of him. He wanted the prestige and the power, but never wanted any of the work that came along with it. ...

That's the definiton of a king. And an incompetent, bad, stupid one at that. The irony is, he has a chance to enjoy the after because the majority does not believe in kings and the kind of system he desires. After all, when it comes to this, we all know what they used to do to those kings.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 20, 2021, 09:01:05 PM
Biden enacts federal mask mandate, repeals Muslim ban, and rejoins the Paris climate agreement
Terrible news.  I'd much rather he spent the day golfing, shilling beans, and pardoning criminals who did crimes on his behalf.

LOL...OMG, communist!
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 20, 2021, 05:59:49 PM

Trump doesn't have a legacy to stand on...

LOL Yeah, best part is, a lot of things getting reversed and re-done will have Obama-era written before it. Yeah, I am petty.

QuoteDid I hear a giant collective sigh of relief today? I think I did!

You know the sound that fills everywhere when the power comes back?  I think that's what you guys will hear in the next six months. And acutually that will wake a lot of people.

And if they really do wake up -I'd like to believe that a lot of people will- and Biden & Kamala do a good job, Republican Party could even end up with the worst vote count in the next elections. Oh shit, it's gonna be bad around here. OK, I'm enjyoying this too much. :lol: I really shouldn't. Seriously. :whistle: Enough.

SGOS

As of today, the future of progressive politics and the future of the Democratic Party is my main concern.  Biden will be better than Trump, but "better than Trump" is a low bar for progressives.  If people want progress, as well as a healthy and sustaining Democratic Party, the Democratic Party will need to get some important things done, and this is a vital goal that goes way beyond Biden's speech about "our better angels of democracy always prevailing."  THAT IS NOT A GIVEN.  Things are going to need to happen, and that they will IS NOT A GIVEN.  What we have are Democrats at the wheel, and nothing more.  Well, maybe it's more than that, but we don't know that yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/opinion/biden-inauguration-democrats.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
QuoteBiden takes office in a country where nearly two-thirds of Republicans believe Trump won the election. The idea that a decisive speech can change everything, or anything really, reflects an older era of political communication, when more of us listened to the same outlets, and when political identities were less entrenched. Today, the best hope Biden has of bringing the country together lies in policy, not rhetoric. As I write in my column this morning, he needs to make people’s lives better â€" and fast.

To do that, Democrats are going to have to learn some hard lessons from both the Obama and Trump eras. From the Obama era, they need to learn that excessive complexity, or delay, robs policies of their political power. The central tax cut in the 2009 stimulus was designed to be invisible. The Affordable Care Act didn’t begin delivering health insurance on a mass scale until four years after its passage. Both policies were too small to solve the problems they confronted, in part because congressional Democrats thought voters cared more about legislative price tags than actual outcomes. The Democrats’ disastrous 2010 wipeout was, in part, the result.

From the Trump era, Democrats need to learn that paralysis empowers populists. When government stops working on people’s behalf, or seems to, voters will turn to charismatic outsiders who promise they alone can fix it. As such, if Democrats want to avoid future Trumpian figures, they can no longer meekly accept congressional dysfunction and federal incompetence. That begins with fixing the filibuster, which is, today, the central impediment to Democrats fulfilling the campaign promises they made to Americans. But it doesn’t end there: Democrats need to do more than state the importance of democracy. They need to actually deepen American democracy. This is their chance, and their true principles will be revealed by what they do with it.

In all this, Democrats face a ticking clock. Midterms are typically rough on the president’s party, and losing even one Senate seat would end Democrats’ control of Congress and thus their ability to govern. That gives Democrats much less room for error than they had in 2009. Then, their congressional majorities reached 60 in the Senate and 257 in the House. They will start this session with 50 senators and 222 House members. If they are to avoid a midterm wipeout â€" and a possible rehabilitation of the Trump brand â€" they need to govern well, and they need Americans to feel the benefits of their governance fast.

“This is a fight not just for the future of the Democratic Party or good policy,” Senator Bernie Sanders told me. “It is literally a fight to restore faith in small-d democratic government.”

Mike Cl

Here we go again!  Those goddammed antifa terrorists raising hell and smashing things up!

Protesters gather, damage Democratic headquarters in Oregon
https://www.yahoo.com/news/protesters-gather-damage-democratic-headquarters-005147909.html

ORTLAND, Ore. (AP) â€" A group of protesters carrying signs against President Joe Biden and police marched in Portland on Inauguration Day and damaged the headquarters of the Democratic Party of Oregon, police said.

Some in the group of about 150 people smashed windows and spray-painted anarchist symbols at the political party building. Police said eight arrests were made in the area. Some demonstrators carried a sign reading, “We don’t want Biden, we want revenge!” in response to “police murders” and “imperialist wars.” Others carried a banner declaring “We Are Ungovernable.”
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

What symbols do anarchists use? I bet that wasn't really anti-fa.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Biden discovers that Trump had no vaccination plan

QuoteNewly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant challenge for the new White House.

QuoteAnother source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence."

SGOS

Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration
Well that would explain why Virginia doesn't seem to have any vaccine to give people.  But really?   One of the few things Trump does get some credit for is Operation Warp Speed.  Apparently, warp speed only applies to development, and not to distribution.  Someone on the virus response team should have  been responsible for distribution.  That's what happens when teams are assembled for the main purpose of generating propaganda about how well Trump is handling things.  No one has time or the skills for anything else.  This is where experts and experience can help.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 21, 2021, 02:09:35 PM
What symbols do anarchists use? I bet that wasn't really anti-fa.
Not according to faux.  and they always get all the facts right. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Well, sure they do, at least more than OANN or NewsMax. But that's not a very high bar...

The Trumpanistas are dressing up as Anti-fa to prove their point about how violent Anti-fa is. They already tried to blame Anti-fa for the insurrection!  LOL

They might fool those who believe whatever makes them feel smart, but not those of us who really are smart...
God Not Found

Hydra009

Qanon nutcase failed to file impeachment charges against Biden on day 1 because filing was too hard

The actual work of Congress is apparently harder than typing a weird rant on Twitter.  Who knew?

Unbeliever

Doesn't she have any staff to do that stuff?
God Not Found