News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 17, 2021, 07:38:54 AM
I could live with the current system if it were consistent. But we don't call the earth just 'planet' now do we?
My vote goes to 'fondue', 'gouda' or 'French dessert', cuz it's made of cheese.

Well, "Earth" just means "ground," so... It's not that far off.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

QuoteI could live with the current system if it were consistent. But we don't call the earth just 'planet' now do we?
Well, "Earth" just means "ground," so... It's not that far off.
This is all so confusing.

Unbeliever

I thought the moon's name is Luna.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 17, 2021, 10:06:50 AM
I thought the moon's name is Luna.
It might suffice, but is it official?

Luna, the divine embodiment of the moon.
Sol, the divine embodiment of the sun.

We sometimes call the sun Sol so we could call the moon Luna, but these are more like informal nicknames and Sol is done with tongue in cheek like it's personification.  Do astronomers ever look at Luna?  I've never heard that usage.  We need an official name for the sun as well as the moon.

There is the sun and there are stars, but the sun is also a star, and the stars are also suns.  All the other stars (or suns) have names or at least numbers.  It seems to me that humans are getting gyped.  When we venture into deep space and meet aliens and they ask where we are from, and if we say, "We are from the sun," they will ask, "Which sun?"  They will think we are retarded or something.

Blackleaf

Well, if you tell an alien you're from the sun, they're probably more likely to turn to another alien and say, "Nug gobbo te loob dek."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Ted Cruz's staff disgusted by his role in insurrection and continued support of Trump

QuoteAt least six of Cruz's former aides have expressed their distaste at the senator's political stance in recent weeks, the magazine reported.

This behavior, which has included peddling election misinformation, leading the objection to the Electoral college certification, and sending out a fundraising email while a pro-Trump mob breached the Capitol, has left a soured impression of those who have previously worked for him.

QuoteWhen running for the Republican nomination in 2016, Cruz appealed to conservative voters and sought to contrast himself with President Donald Trump.

This led to bitter sparring, where Trump accused Cruz's father of involvement in President John F. Kennedy's assassination, and Cruz called him a "pathological liar."

In recent years, however, Cruz has become one of Trump's staunchest allies.

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Shiranu on January 16, 2021, 11:54:49 PM

Hey, we agree on something!

Do you also agree to the part about avoiding false positives?  The Truth and Reconciliation Commissions should not become like the Salem Witch Trials.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

drunkenshoe

Guys, there are news about armed far right groups gathering around in capitals of Ohio, Texas. Oregon, Michigan...Does anyone know anything about it?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 17, 2021, 03:01:52 PM
If some petitions are spurious or silly, all petitions are spurious or silly?
I'm just saying, before you go clutching your pearls and fearmongering that conservatives are the real persecuted minority in America (cue world's smallest violin), it might be a good idea to wait until there's manifest evidence of it beyond what is essentially an angry email.  Though you're not the one to jump at the flimsiest of evidence to launch into sweeping conclusions, like say, Californian (and therefore liberal) fascism?

Jason Harvestdancer

You're not exactly in a great position to talk about flimsy evidence.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 17, 2021, 03:24:11 PM
Guys, there are news about armed far right groups gathering around in capitals of Ohio, Texas. Oregon, Michigan...Does anyone know anything about it?

Yes.  Violence from Far right groups and crowds around the State Capitols is imminent. In Texas one news group is saying "they are not gathered for the election but to protest gun banning". I don't believe this one bit.

Quote'Not about the election at all'
Dozens of gun rights activists rallied outside the Texas Capitol in support of Second Amendment rights on Sunday afternoon, with some drawing a line between their event and the rioters who forced their way into the U.S. Capitol last week.

"We're here to have a peaceful rally and to not allow legislators to take gun rights away," said Jeinay LeBlanc, of Bay City, who said she is with the Hibiscus Society.

The Hibiscus Society’s website says the pro-gun rights group spawned off from the so-called Boogaloo Movement, which the Anti-Defamation League describes as an anti-government extremist movement that advocates for a second civil war. The website says the Hibiscus Society has distanced itself from boogalooers.

LeBlanc said their rally has been planned for months.

"This is not about the election at all," LeBlanc said. "This rally would've been a lot larger, but a lot of people backed out after what happened at the (U.S.) Capitol."

FBI officials spoke with several people with the Hibiscus Society before they came out Sunday, LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc said she is worried that people who do support those who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 will co-opt their rally later in the day.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up," she said.

Capitol protest tracker:Here's a live look at capitols across the US

State officials announced Friday they would shut down the Texas Capitol through Wednesday amid reports of armed protests this weekend. 

Hydra009

Cowboys for Trump leader plans to bring guns to DC

Cowboys for Trump leader arrested

Quote"I'm going to take a stand for our country and our freedoms because this election was fraudulent... It was stolen by Communist China,"
Ha!  It gets less funny when you realize that this clown was elected to public office and apparently didn't get the memo about DC gun laws, which was just a google search away.

Quote"They will be coming to each house and de-arming us," the mask-less commissioner said. "That's the reason why this is one that we cannot just lose. If we lose we'll never have a fair election, and if we lose the liberals will have us in masks, anytime they want to say 'mask' everybody will just be in one."
We already had a fair election.  Your guy lost.  What do you want, a participation trophy?

Also, his idea of a dystopia is the liberals telling people to wear masks and people actually doing it.  Horrifying!  You know, I thought the opening to Terminator 2 was rough - but this nightmare future is way worse.  Mild convenience for a short time to save the lives of fellow Americans, oh heaven forbid!  I better not hear "all lives matter" or "pro-life" from these dumb-dumbs ever again.

Mr.Obvious

Getting more anxious the closer the inauguration gets.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 18, 2021, 04:11:48 AM
Getting more anxious the closer the inauguration gets.
The worst of it might be over... or not.  The stolen election bullshit seems to be losing steam, but the right wing fringes are starting to nose around the state capitols in anticipation of their armed rallies, although their issue now seems to be about their freedom to own guns and their freedom to do whatever else that they think they can't do.  That's their stated concern.  Sure they were stirred up by the Capitol riot, and want to keep that going, so we don't know how far they plan to take it.

But the country is also getting tired of the bullshit, and after the desk jockeys in the capitol police department dropped the ball the last time, the police are going to be more alert and ready than before, and I expect a strong military presence too.  The lunatic fringe will not win this.  It could get ugly, and they are sure to cry foul, but they will not succeed at anything other than making their presence known.  But we already know of their presence.  Good Grief, we've been listening to them for years and they are really starting to bore.  We know they are there.  We know they've got their guns, and how much they love Jesus, and if they want to go fuck themselves, we can't stop them.  But they don't get to take over the country.  That's not going to happen.