News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's it like to be blind in one eye?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, June 21, 2020, 08:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twozerozeroonefive

What would you 'see' out of your blind eye? How does it feel to live like this?

I'm not blind in either eye, thank God, so I wouldn't know.
Something, something, something...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: twozerozeroonefive on June 21, 2020, 08:30:14 PM

I've had a series of surgeries on my eyes, ten of them on my right eye. That meant periodical bouts of gradual return of vision in that one. When I was bandaged up or had zero visual acuity I never "saw" anything out of that eye. The right eye is now my best eye, and I've offered it to the med school when I croak, so they can see what they did right, and what they did wrong.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

If only there was some kind of technology that could simulate monocular vision.

Baruch

Quote from: twozerozeroonefive on June 21, 2020, 08:30:14 PM

Had cataracts in both eyes, over 10 years ago, causing increased blurring.  Already had astigmatism in both eyes from Iris Coloboma.  Fortunately the eye surgeon gave me new plastic lenses behind my irises.  Because of age, my night vision is going bad, retina simply isn't that sensitive anymore.

So if you cover one eye, you lose binocular vision.  You can't judge depth, not that this is all that good in humans anyway, compared to eagles.  And obviously you lose half of your peripheral vision.

Take good care of your eyes!

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Got drunk once...closed one eye...did fine...till I drove into a tree....nothing to do with alcohol I assure you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 23, 2020, 12:28:44 PM
Got drunk once...closed one eye...did fine...till I drove into a tree....nothing to do with alcohol I assure you.

I like to imitate Popeye the Sailor Man, too ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.