News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Going Back to the Movies

Started by SGOS, June 19, 2020, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I thought this might deserve to be a thread of its own.  It's nothing different for those who get movies through streaming, and want to rate a good or bad film.  But theaters are getting ready to reopen next month, and I spent an inordinate amount of money and time going to movies.  My friends are quite aware that the rare time I leave the county is almost always to go to a population center to see a movie.  This is not a point of pride on my part.  I've often questioned if I actually live a limited lifestyle.  I usually just shake it off, but the point is that I like going to the movies.  But when they reopen next month, what is it going to be like going to a theater while a pandemic is still raging?

AMC Theaters have already announced they will not require customers to wear masks.  Good grief!  It's spooky enough just going to a theater, but one without health restrictions, won't be something I'll miss, and I don't mean that as an idle threat.  If the macho troglodytes want to go breath all over each other in a crowded place for two hours, I won't bemoan the fact that I won't be there.  A theater with safety restrictions is scary enough, but I'll leave the venues who want to satisfy the Trump supporters for that segment of society.  I can respect their views and priorities are different, but I have no desire to associate with them.  I'll still get to see movies on my home theater, which is more than most people.  Things are going to be different when everything reopens, maybe not for everyone, but they will be for me.

It's a hard time for theater owners, and I actually feel empathy for them, but it's not the first time businesses have gone extinct due to environmental changes.  Think of all the brick and mortar establishments have gone out of business since the Internet.  Everything is being reshaped.  It's happening faster in the 21st century, and I'm guessing it will accelerate.

Baruch

Remember "Future Shock" by Toffler?

I went to theaters last year, because my daughter (adult) wanted to go.  But she has streaming TV, so no need to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Shopper: "Why are you wearing a mask?"

Me: "It's an IQ test."

Shopper: "Eh?"

Me: "You failed."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Last time I went to a movie the fine folks in front of us were talking the entire time with feet resting on the tops of the empty seats in front of them. They were constantly on their stupid phones, lighting up the place. The fucks behind me felt their entire purpose in life is to crinkle candy wrappers non-stop until one of them literally started snoring. I saw them out in the lobby later with khaki shorts sucked way up into their enormous buttocks. I guess they waddled out there to get extra yellow synthetic lard on their hot-tub sized popcorn. Done with the Cinema and feeling like Holden Caulfield  LOL

Hydra009

I didn't even really like theaters during the best of times.  $12 and a side of 'rona?  Hell no.

Stream, baby, stream!

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on June 19, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
Last time I went to a movie the fine folks in front of us were talking the entire time with feet resting on the tops of the empty seats in front of them. They were constantly on their stupid phones, lighting up the place. The fucks behind me felt their entire purpose in life is to crinkle candy wrappers non-stop until one of them literally started snoring. I saw them out in the lobby later with khaki shorts sucked way up into their enormous buttocks. I guess they waddled out there to get extra yellow synthetic lard on their hot-tub sized popcorn. Done with the Cinema and feeling like Holden Caulfield  LOL
Anywhere you go, you are going to meet assholes.  I don't think they gravitate to movie theaters.  There's just so many of them, they tend to show up from time to time.  None the less, you can avoid them by NOT going out, and I think a good case can be made for that, too. 

One of the most delightful news articles I ever read was about some young woman who was kicked out of the theater for texting during a movie.  She was so incensed by her treatment that she called the theater when she got home and left a message filled with dirty language and went on about her innocence and rights to do anything she wanted in the "stupid theater."  Of course the message was taped and was then made part of the pre movie reminder to be considerate of others during the movie.

SGOS

I take special precautions to enjoy a theater experience.  I never go on a week end, always a week day, but never after 3:00 PM.  A few years ago, I often had the whole theater to myself, but more recently, other people have been getting the same idea, and it's not unusual to share the theater with a dozen or more others.  Still, 5 years ago, I remember sharing the theater with only one other person who happened to be a avid texter.  I moved to another seat where her behavior was not visible to me.  Had it been crowded, I would have left.  A theater experience with reclining seats, top of the line surround sound, and that huge screen is a preferred experience for me.  That's the plus side.  The negative side is people.  It's not always negative, but it is always unpredictable.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 19, 2020, 03:58:42 PM
Anywhere you go, you are going to meet assholes.  I don't think they gravitate to movie theaters.  There's just so many of them, they tend to show up from time to time.  None the less, you can avoid them by NOT going out, and I think a good case can be made for that, too. 

One of the most delightful news articles I ever read was about some young woman who was kicked out of the theater for texting during a movie.  She was so incensed by her treatment that she called the theater when she got home and left a message filled with dirty language and went on about her innocence and rights to do anything she wanted in the "stupid theater."  Of course the message was taped and was then made part of the pre movie reminder to be considerate of others during the movie.

Nobody "Karens" like a girl named Karen.  My Ex would sometimes do that, cringe!  Time of the month, honey?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 19, 2020, 04:16:46 PM
I take special precautions to enjoy a theater experience.  I never go on a week end, always a week day, but never after 3:00 PM.  A few years ago, I often had the whole theater to myself, but more recently, other people have been getting the same idea, and it's not unusual to share the theater with a dozen or more others.  Still, 5 years ago, I remember sharing the theater with only one other person who happened to be a avid texter.  I moved to another seat where her behavior was not visible to me.  Had it been crowded, I would have left.  A theater experience with reclining seats, top of the line surround sound, and that huge screen is a preferred experience for me.  That's the plus side.  The negative side is people.  It's not always negative, but it is always unpredictable.

Part of the new theater in some places ... they serve meals and alcohol at your personal table.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.