News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Concerts

Started by The Skeletal Atheist, March 18, 2013, 03:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyatheist

I've been to two suzy bogguss concerts. I love them because they were small, and you got to meet her afterwards.. She also had a simple acoustic act. nothing fancy. just songs and stories and jokes.

I haven't been to too many, money is tight, and when I was in Oklahoma, I had no way to get to any.

I was planning to see Emmylou Harris last week, but went to the atheist camp in South Dakota instead.
I'll have to see her next time she's in town.

I plan to do more concerts, as I get more money, now that I live in Denver where they have good transit, and now that I'm free from Dish Network, who never gave me enough time off to go to any.  (mandatory overtime, every week)
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Shiranu

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"Is Rise Against the band with the singer dude who's gettining the sex change or is that Against Me!? Or is it Rise Against Me!?

That's Against Me!.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

caseagainstfaith

I'll add more to try to answer the OP's question about favorite concerts and why. But, I'll just post one simple anecdote about the first time I saw Van Halen. It was the Van Halen II tour, and, their first headlining tour.  In fact, during the show, DLR told us to remember this night, the first time Van Halen has ever headlined anywhere.  Maybe 15 years later, I ran into someone who saw the Van Halen II tour in Midland TX.  I mentioned that DLR told us about it being the first ever Van Halen headline show.  He responded, "that asshole, he told us the same fucking thing".  I recently looked up the tour dates on Wikipedia and neither Houston (where I saw them) nor Midland were the first night of that tour, nowhere close.  We didn't have the Internet to fact-check back then.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

rickcopeland648

Ever headlined anywhere? Not even during their club days?
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"Ever headlined anywhere? Not even during their club days?

At the time, I didn't know they had any club dates.  But, yes, I now know they had headlining shows prior to the VH II tour.  So, that made it an even bigger lie.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

Okay, so now, what about what are the best shows I've ever seen?  Well, sad to say, I do not classify Rush among them.  Their sound wasn't that good at the venue.  It was a good show, indeed, but, at least the Rush shows I've seen I can't classify among the best shows I've seen.

At this time, I don't care for Styx, I've long outgrown them.  But Styx Pieces of Eight tour was my first major concert, and, at the time, it totally blew me away, never seen anything like it.  I would never consider them good now, but, it was, for me a the time, kick ass, and why I still go to concerts so often to this day.  So, yeah, I have to list Styx as a favorite concert.

Supertramp Breakfast in America tour.  It was my first date with my high school sweetheart.  And, I really love that album.  Interesting tidbid.  Thousands of people wouldn't leave after the lights came on after the oncore.  They eventually came back out and did a second oncore, they said the first time they had done so in years. I, on the other hand, had no idea.  Lights came on, so, I left.  Goddammmit.

Roger Waters Wall tour. The sound was fantastic, the visuals were fantastic.  Its not my favorite Floyd album, but, it was one fucking hell of a concert.

U2 War tour, in the 3000 seat Music Hall in Houston. Now that was something, seeing them when they were still a "small" band.  Never forget that.

U2 Joshua Tree tour.  U2 was a lot bigger then, of course, but I still remember the red stage lighting during Bullet the Blue Sky.  It was the first time I heard the song, it wasn't a single yet.

U2 Zoo TV tour. Really the Achtung Baby tour, my favorite U2 album. There was something magical about hearing the Edge's guitar solo on Until the End of the World filling the stadium.

U2 No Line on the Horizon tour.  Great sound, stunning visuals. And a buddy of mine is a volunteer for Bono's One organization and was one of about 100 people to be given a chance to walk on the stage during Walk On.

Okay, enough U2 shows...

Police - Ghost in the Machine tour. First time I saw them.  And, one of my favorite Police albums. Show fucking rocked.

AC/DC Highway to Hell.  Bon Scott. nuff said.

Oh, and some more bands I've seen:

Paul McCartney
Sheryl Crow
Lynard Skynard
.38 Special
Cheap Trick (The band Sweet, "Love is Like Oxygen" opened the show)
Foghat
Triumph
ZZ Top
Steely Dan
Queensryche
Bob Seger
Bruce Springsteen
Creed (yeah, yeah, I actually still considered myself a Christian when Creed first came out...)
Ted Nugent/Scorpions/Def Leppard. That was Nugent's Wango-Tango tour I think, and before Def Leppard was big, High and Dry era

And a couple more non-rock shows:
Sade  (she does a really good show)
Kenny G (Toni Braxton opened)
Some Houston Pops symphony shows, like "Bond and Beyond"
Public Enemy opened for U2 once.  (why?)