News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Karen

Started by Munch, June 02, 2020, 10:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 03, 2020, 04:03:43 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the dog was taken from her. Not sure if it is correct. On top of everything, dogs being dogs, the poor animal will be broken hearted because of being separated from his owner.

She was basically strangling her dog while on the phone. I don't think she's even had the dog for long. The shelter she got it from has taken it back.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 03, 2020, 09:20:23 AM
Yes, removing an audience from someone who is angry because they feel their needs are not being met or not being heard is a good strategy.

Karens and Kevins are not some people whose needs are refused to be met and so act in distress or even just get rude because they're not listened or heard. Countless people get into that situation. We are talking about something different.

They are a very common type of people found in every culture, who pick something trivial, blow it out of porportion, actually often create a situation and almost always use it to exert power over people in specific positions which they see as 'inferior' to themselves. 

You don't see a Karen or a Kevin trying to be 'heard and act around' because of something done by someone more 'powerful' or they think are 'superior', even to someone they think 'equal' to them. It's either a sales clerk, waiters and waitresses, people who work in service positions or jobs called menial, very often young people AND mostly young men

Furthermore, I will emphasize the young men part because they're the most common target for both Karens and Kevins. That's my personal experience.

So they're not a bunch of angry people because they're not heard. They are angry, narcissistic douchebags who love to take opportunities to go as far as slandering, smearing people on the spot for trivial things that can take their livelyhoods or ruin their reputations, if they cannot get the attention or whatever they want. And if you could follow one, you'd see it is not a one time thing. I guarantee you that. It's a form of existence, a repeated form of behaviour.

I don't give a damn about the meme. I have observed and witnessed enough of them in my life and while young and fool even tried to stood against a few, coming pretty close to real trouble. From rich housewives, businessmen to professors. They are not 21st century characters or just some new generation meme. They have always existed. If you prefer we can call them Pete and Mary but they would be the victims of Karens and Kevins.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 03, 2020, 09:41:54 AM
She was basically strangling her dog while on the phone. I don't think she's even had the dog for long. The shelter she got it from has taken it back.

I hope the dog's luck will get better next time.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 03, 2020, 02:06:12 AM
Karens are real. I interact with them often in my line of work.

The male versions are called Kevins. I get a lot of them, too.

I worked with a Karen in my last retail role, and her actual name really was karen. She was bossy, always had a bad attitude even with customers, shouted at those below her on the work force and always thought of herself as manager when she was just a supervisor. Has to often come to the aid of other workmates after she got done putting them down and even a few times got her attitude redirected at me away from new workers just to spare them from her.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

I only recently learned of the new nomenclature for such behavior. I just call them ass-holes. I don't think I would take a persons proper name and stick it as a post it note. Well, Dick was done long before my time.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on June 04, 2020, 08:24:37 AM
I only recently learned of the new nomenclature for such behavior. I just call them ass-holes. I don't think I would take a persons proper name and stick it as a post it note. Well, Dick was done long before my time.

LOL Yeah, that's the proper noun. Kids call them Karens and Kevins. They have people's name for it here too. (The male version is a dog's name though. :/)