News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Karen

Started by Munch, June 02, 2020, 10:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Felt like this deserved it's own thread for the absurdity of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13kaqcrd3bk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SVrONnYL1vI

I have heard enough Reddit stories of Karen's and what they do but most stories sound kind of exaggerated. Here however we see a Karen out in full force, proof that they do exist.

I heard she got fired from her job after this story broke?

She clearly thought she knew what she was doing by using the African American man angle to get the police on her side.

Her handling of the dog makes me want to take my work boots to her skull however.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Munch on June 02, 2020, 10:56:36 PM
Felt like this deserved it's own thread for the absurdity of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13kaqcrd3bk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SVrONnYL1vI

I have heard enough Reddit stories of Karen's and what they do but most stories sound kind of exaggerated. Here however we see a Karen out in full force, proof that they do exist.

I heard she got fired from her job after this story broke?

She clearly thought she knew what she was doing by using the African American man angle to get the police on her side.

Her handling of the dog makes he want to take my work boots to her skull however.

This is based on a racist sexist meme.

QuoteBefore the general public learned the name of a white woman who called the police on a black man in Central Park on May 25, she could easily be identified by a moniker. The internet agreed with certainty that Amy Cooper was a Karen.

Just days later, another Karen went viral for leaning on a car in a parking lot to prevent the driver from getting their desired parking spot.

The "Karen meme," which has become so ubiquitous it's been used as a Halloween costume, burst onto the scene in the last couple of years to depict white women â€" who stereotypically had "speak to the manager" haircuts â€" acting entitled in public. Now, it's used as an identifier for any white woman who acts inappropriately, rudely, or in an entitled fashion.

"It's usually used as a pejorative for middle-aged white women," said Matt Schimkowitz, a senior editor at Know Your Meme, the online meme encyclopedia. "It's almost like they have an entitlement, where they're kind of lording their privilege over another."

https://www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5

Baruch

Prejudice and bigotry are justified.  Sorry, people are shits.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 02, 2020, 11:03:24 PM
This is based on a racist sexist meme.

https://www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5

That article was made back in may, and they don't know where the Karen meme started themselves. The Karen thing has been floating around on Reddit stories for a number of years now, and it's a wrong assumption that it only applies to white women, since any woman of any colour and nationality can be a Karen.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 02, 2020, 11:25:44 PM
That article was made back in may, and they don't know where the Karen meme started themselves. The Karen thing has been floating around on Reddit stories for a number of years now, and it's a wrong assumption that it only applies to white women, since any woman of any colour and nationality can be a Karen.

Women are sexist, in a typically feminine way.  Doesn't make it wrong, just annoying as hell.  My Ex is a big bad Karen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on June 02, 2020, 11:25:44 PM

There is a Wikipedia article on Karen:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 02, 2020, 10:56:36 PMI have heard enough Reddit stories of Karen's and what they do but most stories sound kind of exaggerated.
There are some really entitled people out there who absolutely will scream and threaten service workers over the slightest inconvenience.  I've seen some of it personally.

Hijiri Byakuren

Karens are real. I interact with them often in my line of work.

The male versions are called Kevins. I get a lot of them, too.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

drunkenshoe

Seriously? They are calling Amy Cooper, Karen? Talk about trivialising. They're real, but it is light for her.

There is a huge difference between Karens -we have tons too- and someone who threatens a person's life by their own skin colour via calling cops. Karen's are mostly self entitled women/men who are mostly about getting attention or 'taken seriously' and listened. They're absolute piece of shits and do anything to get their way but Amy Cooper's behaviour is something else.

She lied to armed forces on the spot by changing her voice feigning being assaulted by a 'black' man. She weaponised racism to harm an innocent man. This is practically a death threat, I'm sure you are aware of that? The very reason she is doing is that black people being shot by dead by cops. What if the man didn't have a phone. I go out without my phone in short distances all the time. And what if cops came and shot him dead?

She knew all of this. That woman knew exactly what she was doing, that she was putting that man's life in danger by calling cops and relying on blatant racism she knows is there.

Karen? You are kidding right?

Also, I don't want to talk big on this but it is fucking Central Park in daylight, guys. She was never in danger.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

I remember reading somewhere that the dog was taken from her. Not sure if it is correct. On top of everything, dogs being dogs, the poor animal will be broken hearted because of being separated from his owner.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 03, 2020, 02:06:12 AM
Karens are real. I interact with them often in my line of work.

The male versions are called Kevins. I get a lot of them, too.

Ah... yeah, you would. I'm sure you know how to handle them but just a reminder. Never lose your cool and calm. That drives them mad and make it easier for other people to recognise the situation for what's really happening. Because that's the whole power they try to 'wield' if you will. People around.

Karens have more leverage than Kevins in public altercations. Because they're females and they have more 'barriers' around them in public life. They usually have some status or think they have because of their job, wealth and race.

Kevins are -at least here- usually big men or have the physical traits/abilities to defend themselves from any possible physical altercation any situtaion can end in. The status, race, wealth thing goes for them too of course, but the thing is men always attack other men easier and faster than they attack women. Men are always likely to be less patient with men. They are more outside all their lives, more likely to get in fights and take risks. So they have less barriers around them in in public life.   

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 03, 2020, 02:40:56 AM
Seriously? They are calling Amy Cooper, Karen? Talk about trivialising. They're real, but it is light for her.

There is a huge difference between Karens -we have tons too- and someone who threatens a person's life by their own skin colour via calling cops. Karen's are mostly self entitled women/men who are mostly about getting attention or 'taken seriously' and listened. They're absolute piece of shits and do anything to get their way but Amy Cooper's behaviour is something else.

She lied to armed forces on the spot by changing her voice feigning being assaulted by a 'black' man. She weaponised racism to harm an innocent man. This is practically a death threat, I'm sure you are aware of that? The very reason she is doing is that black people being shot by dead by cops. What if the man didn't have a phone. I go out without my phone in short distances all the time. And what if cops came and shot him dead?

She knew all of this. That woman knew exactly what she was doing, that she was putting that man's life in danger by calling cops and relying on blatant racism she knows is there.

Karen? You are kidding right?

Also, I don't want to talk big on this but it is fucking Central Park in daylight, guys. She was never in danger.

There is a perpetual war of the sexes.  Women by nature and necessity, practice asymmetrical warfare.  So do Beta males ;-)  But men are attacked first by other men, for the obvious reason they are more immediately dangerous.  Women are more dangerous but less immediate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Kevins! I am reminded by that character that appears briefly a couple of times in Breaking Bad.  He's always talking real loud in crowded places on his cell phone.  Everything he says is macho and offensive.  He may even describe on the phone the ass of the woman who is standing right in front of him.  Eventually, Walter White runs into him a second time at a gas station, and while he's talking on his phone inside the building, Walter shorts out his battery terminals and starts a fire, which blows up his flashy red convertible.  You never see him again in the series, and he adds absolutely zero context to the story.  But he should get an award for "best irrelevant actor having nothing to do with a series."  They could make another spin off series with him in the lead.

drunkenshoe

Karens and Kevins desperately need audience.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 03, 2020, 09:09:24 AM
Karens and Kevins desperately need audience.

Yes, removing an audience from someone who is angry because they feel their needs are not being met or not being heard is a good strategy.