George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Necro alert ;-)  I am sometimes guilty too.  I like Munch, but don't read too much into that ;-)

On the other hand ... poverty is Black Privilege? ... genocide is Black Privilege?

Native Americans ... hold my peyote ... Jews outside the US ... hold my matzo.

If you don't like poverty, give part of your income away.  I support that.  Even if you are on welfare, give part of your income away to someone worse off than you.

If you are Black or anything else, don't drop out of school, don't get a girl pregnant, don't take or deal in drugs.  Above all stop murdering your own people (who are my people too in the non-tribal sense).

Wanting the government, to have a dictatorship, to force people to behave the way you want them too, what the Hell is that called?  The modern definition of anti-Semitism, as a race, came from Voltaire.  The modern definition of anti-racism, came from Trotsky.  Both are Progressives.  Both had ulterior political motives, they were not Gandhi.  Today's anti-racists are Hitler in black face.  Today's anti-fascists are yesterdays German communists.

History repeats because the same personality types are always out there in the wild.  Egomaniacs, megalomaniacs, sociopaths, micro-managers, Karens/Kevins of all skin colors.  Assholes, all of them.  Make me dictator, right now, and I will save you?  Sound familiar every 4th year in the US?

"Imagine being such a anti-racist leftist, that you try to make money off of a dead black man and use him to further your own career." .. athletes and actors aren't oppressed, but they exploit those who are, for notoriety and money.

"Minneapolis residents push to leave George Floyd shrine in streets" .. .will atheists support this mock-Catholicism?  George Floyd more beloved than Princess Diana?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

A 7th grade kid had the cops called on him for bringing a "facsimile of a firearm to school." Just a few problems:

1. It wasn't at school. It was a virtual class. The kid was in his own home.

2. The "gun" looked like this:

3. The kid had ADHD (the teacher knew this), and was playing with the Nerf gun because he was bored, not because he was threatening to shoot the teacher or his classmates. Obviously.

The cops arrived at the boy's home, traumatizing him. And now he has a criminal record. I'll give you one guess what color the kid was.

One more thing to keep in mind: Tamir Rice was the same age when police responded to a call about a boy with a gun, and was shot to death immediately upon their arrival, without warning. Calling the police on a black kid for having a toy gun is irresponsible and dangerous, and I hope the school gets sued for it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Arrest all kids, put them into Communist re-education camps!  I had a cap gun when little, harder to mistake for a real thing.  That fake gun has a green top for a reason.  Real cops have shot real kids with real-looking fake guns (more realistic than that one).  Blame parents, not the government.  Even more obtuse to blame White people/Black people.  I was taught to handle a real gun before HS.  Hard to teach the same to my pacifist daughter.

"These Rich White Kids Were Arrested For Rioting. Here's A Look At Their Violent "Revolutionary Strategy"" ... real White priv, same as 60s
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AFactNeedingPerson

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2020, 07:37:50 PM
A 7th grade kid had the cops called on him for bringing a "facsimile of a firearm to school." Just a few problems:

1. It wasn't at school. It was a virtual class. The kid was in his own home.

2. The "gun" looked like this:

3. The kid had ADHD (the teacher knew this), and was playing with the Nerf gun because he was bored, not because he was threatening to shoot the teacher or his classmates. Obviously.

The cops arrived at the boy's home, traumatizing him. And now he has a criminal record. I'll give you one guess what color the kid was.

One more thing to keep in mind: Tamir Rice was the same age when police responded to a call about a boy with a gun, and was shot to death immediately upon their arrival, without warning. Calling the police on a black kid for having a toy gun is irresponsible and dangerous, and I hope the school gets sued for it.

I am a Police Officer.  All i can say to this is if we got the call, we would have to respond.  Not saying anything at all would come from it, but its a call for service.  We are under the liability of not responding and something happens...as well if something did happen.

This is one the school for calling.  I guarantee the cops responding thought it was stupid, but they did have to respond.
“Religion has had the disastrous effect of placing vitally important concepts, such as morality, happiness and love, in a supernatural realm inaccessible to man’s mind and knowledge.”
― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God

Baruch

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 13, 2020, 03:25:17 AM
I am a Police Officer.  All i can say to this is if we got the call, we would have to respond.  Not saying anything at all would come from it, but its a call for service.  We are under the liability of not responding and something happens...as well if something did happen.

This is one the school for calling.  I guarantee the cops responding thought it was stupid, but they did have to respond.

One of my nephews is a fireman, one of my nephews is a policeman.  I have your back.  There are procedures and order.  Literal shooting from the hip is a violation of that.  The average policeman isn't making the law on the fly, or the grasshopper.  If police procedure is wrong, if the law is wrong, there are ways to improve that.  And yes, I have encountered a few marginal people in your position, but they are the minority.  Where I live, police are known to be professionals.  And yes, I think even that green top gun is too realistic.  The point was more ... a teacher saw it over Zoom, not in real class.  My principals would have done hard things to me, had I brought that to class.  But don't arrest the little boy who made a gun out of his PB&J sandwich.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on September 13, 2020, 12:01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2JsCMG7mg

Never been a fan of police ... but this is bad.
A Wiki quote:
The Daily Mail was deprecated in the 2017 RfC, and the decision was reaffirmed in the 2019 RfC. There is consensus that the Daily Mail (including its online version, MailOnline) is generally unreliable, and its use as a reference is generally prohibited, especially when other more reliable sources exist. As a result, the Daily Mail should not be used for determining notability, nor should it be used as a source in articles. The Daily Mail may be used in rare cases in an about-self fashion. Some editors regard the Daily Mail as reliable historically, so old articles may be used in a historical context. (Note that dailymail.co.uk is not trustworthy as a source of past content that was printed in the Daily Mail.) The restriction is often incorrectly interpreted as a "ban" on the Daily Mail. The UK Daily Mail is not to be confused with other publications named Daily Mail. The dailymail.com domain was previously used by the unaffiliated Charleston Daily Mail, and reference links are still present.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 13, 2020, 03:25:17 AM

I don't know how the cops behaved when they responded, but I doubt they knew the details when they arrived. The teacher apparently recorded the class (without permission, BTW), and submitted it to the principal, who then called the cops. Best I can tell, the cops arrived expecting the kid to have a real gun. The mother, who wasn't home at the time, was notified via email, but only after the police were called. Fortunately, no one got hurt this time, but I've seen enough examples to know this could have gone very badly.

Hell. Just look at how police responded to unarmed black teenage VICTIMS in LA last Monday. The teens were threatened by a homeless man with a knife, and multiple people called the cops. The cops arrived and pointed rifles at the teenagers, ignoring several bystanders who told them the kids didn't do anything. The teenagers were arrested, and later released, while the homeless man walked away. These black kids didn't even have weapons, and they were treated this way.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/08/10/caught-on-video-outrage-3-black-teens-attacked-with-knife-detained-at-gunpoint-santa-clarita/
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Trump is just another baby kissing politician.  The LA thing probably had nothing to do with other than gang violence in LA.  I wouldn't have said anything if I were President, but that is why I am not a politician.

Tribal warfare not going well?  White folk need more scarification, tattoos and bones in nose.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Whether or not the cops behaved perfectly cordial when they realized how ridiculous the call was for a kid with an airsoft gun, the fact that the kid now has a criminal record for an AIRSOFT GUN is beyond ludicrous. In this case, the cops may or may not have been fine, but one thing is for certain, and that is the justice system is negatively biased against people with darker than pale skin.

That kid should not have a criminal record from having something that anyone could obtain from a local toy store.

Baruch

We have no means to stop the riots ...

"BLM Rioters In Lancaster Hit With ONE MILLION Dollar Bond And Rioting Is DONE" ... yes we do, and better than making them into Comet Pizza.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

The only reason anything got done in terms of police reform and also in terms of those fucking confederate statues, which are anti-american as all hell, is because of riots.

As much as I think riots can be horrible, they're the only reason any shit has gotten done. When the riots are for a just cause, I think to a point, the riots themselves are just.

That logic of course leaves the door open for the right winged nuts to retaliate, saying what they are rioting for is justified, as well as anything else ridiculous, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. It also leaves the door open for extreme left people to also riot about something ridiculous, but I have yet to see them get violently frustrated over anything, like the gun-toting NRA dumbasses have.

I say let the country burn to the ground until shit is sorted and things are reformed. It's basic human rights we're asking for. Not locking white people in a cage.

Baruch

Anti-Yankee.  But Burn Loot Murder destroys Yankee statues too.  Soviet Union rules!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on September 16, 2020, 11:39:22 PM
Anti-Yankee.  But Burn Loot Murder destroys Yankee statues too.  Soviet Union rules!
Incorrect, you Canadian. Riots shaped this country in the past and it continues to prove to be one of the most effective way to improve The States. What do you think the Boston Tea Party was? a tasting, get-together?

Similarly, and I hate to parrot words other people said, but if murder is an ok response for property damage, how is property damage not an ok response to murder? And further, how is property damage not an ok response to systematic and continued murder?

The police's job is not to kill perpetrators; their job is to bring them in to custody, so they can sit trial. That is what justice is. The police are obstructing justice by murdering people, especially to the degree and frequency they are. Things need to change and we unfortunately cannot rely on "our boys in blue" to make that change, without applying pressure.

People keep criticizing african americans when they kneel in protest, when they protest peacefully, when they do anything to voice their concern peacefully. They ignore it. They don't do jack shit. Well, I don't blame them for rioting. It's past-due.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on September 16, 2020, 11:11:48 AM
We have no means to stop the riots ...

You have no idea what does that mean.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp