George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2020, 02:45:02 PM
You don't remember the 60s, do you ;-)  Back then, it was revolutionary to unbutton the top button of your dress shirt, to wear bell bottoms ;-)

I don't envy teachers now.  Particularly public school ones.  My Ex teaches at a private school ... the children wouldn't dare misbehave.  As I understand it, they don't teach Civics anymore (too many old hippies teaching now).  We had Civics in 9th grade.  Social studies/American history in later years.  I don't think any of that is taught in public schools now.  They basically have defaulted on their reason for operating.  Close them, put all the kids in home school or private school.  Don't arrest parents who spank their brats.

Based on my daughter's Millennial education, they didn't get much education (other than English grammar).  She learned arithmetic when we gave her a checking account.  Babysitting for irresponsible Boomer parents.

“It doesn’t matter what a student knows because he can just go online and look it up.” - this is what followed the "It doesn't matter what a student knows because he can just go to the Carnegie library and look it up".  That and extending Montessori teaching from pre-school all the way to college.  The teachers were professional failures, since 1910 when "progressive" education started.  Basically knowledge isn't taught, and they don't even bother to teach how to learn competently.  This didn't improve with unionization and Dem politics.

"Parents Are Paying $50,000 To Reserve Spots At NYC Private Schools Even Though Kids May Never Attend" ... how the Elite live.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"WOKE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES DEMAND CDC DECLARE RACISM A 'PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS'" ... Democrats violating the Hatch Act.  Fire them.  Deport them to Somalia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"NICK CANNON FIRED AFTER VILE RANT GOES VIRAL, TERRY CREWS ONCE AGAINST CALLS OUT BLM GOING TOO FAR" ... Cannon is a racist and an anti-Semite.  Burn all these N-words down.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL

Mike Cl

Yeah, Rosy, you make sense.  And you offer me a view of things I can never have.  I am an old white guy.  I've seen things, I've lived things.  But right now I am so sick of being 'led' by rich white guys...................Old white guys have been leaders of this country from it's inception.  Yeah, some of it was done right, but soooooooooooo much was done wrong and it has stayed wrong.  The orange monster has removed the cover of the cesspool, and made it obvious to all who want to look.  Our society is (has been) broken and I'm not sure how to fix it, for it is not just one thing and it is not a simple fix.  I will not live long enough to see a safe, and sane society in this country--I know that.  But some progress I'd love to see.  If the orange monster keeps his power this country is finished.  Biden is, of course, another rich, old white guy.  Maybe after Biden's term (and win he must), we can see some changes in the power structure.  People of your age group are our only answer; it is a daunting problem(s) but I think our youth are up for it.  Here's hoping.........................

And so Rosy, keep on keeping on..............................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

"The generation now coming out of Western schools is unable to distinguish good from bad. Even those words are unacceptable. This results in impaired thinking ability." - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Bodycam video shows officer pulled gun on George Floyd early on

QuoteBody-worn camera footage from former Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane showed that George Floyd was given no explanation for why he was being questioned before Lane pointed a gun and swore at him, touched him multiple times and forced him out of his vehicle into the street.

QuoteThe Star Tribune viewed Lane’s and Kueng’s videos, which showed that neither officer told Floyd nor his two passengers why they were being investigated that night until several minutes after the encounter began and after Floyd had already been handcuffed.

Lane’s video showed that medics at the scene did not appear alarmed or rushed in assisting Floyd after taking his pulse, and that about three minutes passed before anyone began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Floyd, who had been unresponsive for several minutes by then.

Baruch

"Seattle City Council Member Suggests Firing White Officers In Massive Reduction Of Police Department" ... says a White woman, fire all the White city council member first, and put their meat on Comet Pizza.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Fired cop charged with murder

QuoteA former police officer in New Mexico was charged Thursday with second-degree murder after authorities said he killed a Latino detainee he had placed in a chokehold.

QuotePolice say Smelser applied the chokehold after a foot chase in February after Valenzuela fled during a traffic stop.

After the chase, Smelser can be heard on police video saying, "I'm going to (expletive) choke you out, bro."

QuoteSmelser's attorney, Amy L. Orlando, called the new charge sad and suggested it was a political move meant to grab headlines.

"Officer Smelser used a technique that was sanctioned by the department. He was trained in the technique. And of a sudden it's banned after and he's a criminal," Orlando told The Associated Press.
Presumably, the lawyer also added that he stabbed a guy on the way to his client and that's okay unless crybaby liberals decide to make it all political.

Baruch

Liberals aren't crybabies.  They have hemophilia, bleeding heart liberals ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL

Baruch

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 17, 2020, 02:44:32 PM
Honestly, what do we make of the police after all of this?

Let’s put aside “ACAB” and “not all cops” for a second, and just admit objectively, yes, not all cops are bad. The reason my piece of shit father was finally removed from the home was because the cops intervened (and arrested him for interrupting my call to 911, that’s a misdemeanor in New York...wish I was allowed to see that). Every single interaction I’ve had with the police has been mostly positive thus far, I have yet to be racially profiled or stopped for being Black. The only things I’ve been disappointed by in my personal life have been seeing how UPD, and police in general, let down sexual assault/rape victims and survivors. However, there are clear problems with the way policing is done and how poor actions by cops are handled by their departments and superiors. Since George Floyd’s death, they’ve assaulted elderly people, pregnant women,  and children in extreme ways, shot out eyes or made people lose their vision in one way or another, have been proven to make peaceful protests turn violent, and violated protester’s constitutional rights with the way they’re arresting them. It doesn’t matter if not all cops are doing this, enough are, they’re not getting held accountable, and it’s been unsettling to watch.

I don’t know think defunding the police is the answer (people can’t even agree on what that means and would entail, so yeah), but there definitely needs to be great reform or something. I think a lot of people have lost a lot of trust and hope in police due to what George’s death has opened the door to.

Never supported "lock holds" or "shoot suspect while suspect is fleeing".  Don't support putting military gear in the hands of police who have no business having it.  Swat teams are too glamourous.  No Knock raids by non-uniformed police are bad bad.  That and they keep breaking into the wrong house!  Also, the US has way too many laws.  Millions of them.  People commit three felonies each day on average.  Politicians need to take most laws off the books.  The cops didn't write these laws.  The politicians put them there, and only they can remove them.  Each law passed in the past is an electoral lie for a rigged election nobody alive now remembers.  The idea in people's heads, that they are violating many of these laws, erodes any support they may have for the legitimate laws.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

As an advocate of Native American rights against all the visa violators ...

https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia_prod.opengov.ibmcloud.com/files/assets/public/pdf/Indian_Land_Areas_Judicially_Established_1978_and_AI_Reservations.pdf

The Muskogee tribal decision by SCOTUS lets activists reexamine the status of all these lands, not just in Oklahoma.  So basically nobody in California owns any land unless they are a California Native American (I knew years ago this was true with Palm Springs).  The Native Americans have every right to cancel state/county/city rights over these lands (but not reservation lands).  And the Federal government is the quarantor of these treaties, so with reservation permission, the Feds can operate on these lands without the say so of state/county/city.

I hope the BLM folks enjoy their deportation to Africa (White and Black folks both).  Ebola await you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 17, 2020, 02:44:32 PMHowever, there are clear problems with the way policing is done and how poor actions by cops are handled by their departments and superiors. Since George Floyd’s death, they’ve assaulted elderly people, pregnant women,  and children in extreme ways, shot out eyes or made people lose their vision in one way or another, have been proven to make peaceful protests turn violent, and violated protester’s constitutional rights with the way they’re arresting them. It doesn’t matter if not all cops are doing this, enough are, they’re not getting held accountable, and it’s been unsettling to watch.

I don’t know think defunding the police is the answer (people can’t even agree on what that means and would entail, so yeah), but there definitely needs to be great reform or something. I think a lot of people have lost a lot of trust and hope in police due to what George’s death has opened the door to.
It's distressingly difficult to find those demands for reform, especially phrased in concrete policy terms.

Here's what I was able to find:

---

1)  Create an independent inspector body to investigate police misconduct and criminal allegations and controls evidence like body camera footage. Any use of lethal force shall trigger an automatic investigation by this body.

2)  ⁠Create a requirement for states to establish board certification with minimum education and training requirements to provide licensing for police. In order to be a law enforcement officer, you must possess this license. The inspector body in #1 can revoke the license.

3)  ⁠Refocus police resources on training, de-escalation, and community building.

4)  Adopt the “absolute necessity” doctrine for lethal force as implemented in other states. "I feared for my life" is no longer a valid excuse.

5)  ⁠Codify into law the requirement for police to have positive control over the evidence chain of custody. If the chain of custody is lost for evidence, the investigative body in #1 can hold law enforcement officers and their agencies liable.

6) Removal of the Golden Girls episode with mud masks.

---

That last one was a joke.  :P  But to these demands I'd add:

6) Mandatory body cams, otherwise suspension or termination

7) Elimination of secret police - any officer concealing name and/or badge number results in automatic termination.  If this sort of thing is combined with a criminal act, this should constitute an additional charge.

It's also an open question of whether or not qualified immunity is enabling criminal activity and if this policy should be changed.

QuoteI don’t know think defunding the police is the answer (people can’t even agree on what that means and would entail, so yeah), but there definitely needs to be great reform or something. I think a lot of people have lost a lot of trust and hope in police due to what George’s death has opened the door to.
Defunding the police is a bit misleading - they're not talking about completely eliminating the police department and letting criminals run wild - from what I've heard, it's mostly just reallocating funds more towards social programs and less towards military hardware.  Stuff like sending a social worker to deal with a person having a mental health crisis rather than a guy with a gun.

Hydra009

GSOgymrat posted this earlier, but there's a fantastic site called Campaign Zero with specific policy solutions.