George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Every highway in Houston is in a constant state of construction... They'll close down half the lanes, do five minutes of work, and leave up the construction zone signs and traffic cones for years. I abhor ever having to leave the house, because traffic ranges from bad to sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour to make a single left turn. There's no public transportation, unless you live downtown, and everything is a minimum of 30 minutes away.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 12, 2020, 02:16:02 AM
Every highway in Houston is in a constant state of construction... They'll close down half the lines, do five minutes of work, and leave up the construction zone signs and traffic cones for years. I abhor ever having to leave the house, because traffic ranges from bad to sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour to make a single left turn. There's no public transportation, unless you live downtown, and everything is a minimum of 30 minutes away.

True that. Here near Austin, it was one thing when the traffic mostly just backed up into the city... but nowadays with construction and the importation of Californians and New Yorkers on a bad day that traffic backs up sometimes as far as a little bit past Kyle, 24 minutes away. I love Houston from the few times I've been there, but even compared to Austin it's traffic is fucking horrendous at times.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

My brother lives in Houston and before that in Dallas. Every time I go up there it takes 3x longer than Austin.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 12, 2020, 02:28:11 AM
True that. Here near Austin, it was one thing when the traffic mostly just backed up into the city... but nowadays with construction and the importation of Californians and New Yorkers on a bad day that traffic backs up sometimes as far as a little bit past Kyle, 24 minutes away. I love Houston from the few times I've been there, but even compared to Austin it's traffic is fucking horrendous at times.

I have been on the Houston beltway.  Don't some lanes change direction depending on the time of day?  If I remember correctly, that is horrifying.  There is a N/S road in Atlanta that has the middle lane change depending on time of day, to accommodate people commuting into or out of the city.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Lots o' news lately.  I know it's not really the hot news item to talk about anymore, but it's still going on, regardless of whether or not it's the lead story.

Protestors confront Allentown PA mayor about a cop putting his knee on a man's neck.  Man, these guys are slow learners, if they're learning at all.

Florida sergeant fired for pointing his gun at the head of a man in custody.  Blac...bladed stance?

Portland police shoot protestor in the head, causing facial/skull fractures.  Weird how these less-than-lethal weapons keep seem to discharge themselves at people's eyes and faces and at people who largely were not presently engaged in violence.  Less-than-lethal weapons are supposed to give officers an alternative to lethal weapons in life-threatening situations, but evidently, their actual purpose is to give officers a handy way to escalate situations and justify it later.

Remember those Wilmington NC cops who were caught on candid camera apparently plotting to kill black people, wishing death on their own community and a fellow cop to boot?  Well, one of them is appealing his dismissal on the grounds that his comments are simply a statement of his "religious beliefs".  He's the one with the hot take that police taking a knee in solidarity with protestors constitutes them worshiping black people.  At first glance, this bizarre and racially-charged reasoning might not seem to make a whole lot of logical sense, but right-wingers like to invoke stuff like this so that their hatred and malice is protected while the same sort of behavior is absolutely not okay for anyone else.  Rules for thee, not for me.

And in a different Wilmington - this one in Delaware - is in the news because protestors want to reopen the 2015 case where a guy in a wheelchair was shot and killed by police.

Virginia officer fired for lying, claiming he was attacked when he was found lying down on the side of the road.  Dunno what he was doing that caused him to lie like that.  Or what caused him to lay down.

Baruch

"BLM SUPPORTER SHOOTS WOMAN FOR SAYING 'ALL LIVES MATTER' AND NEWS TRIES TO COVER IT UP" ... in Indianapolis, woman killed was Hispanic.  BLM, the Klan with a tan.  In the initial confrontation, both sides were armed, they slit up, then BLM shot her from a bridge.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Two more:

Remember that video where an officer shoved over a 75-year-old onto concrete, causing him to bleed from the head and giving him a skull fracture?  Well, the two officers involved are back on the payroll.  Getting paid $80,000 a year to send gramps to the hospital.  Who says crime doesn't pay?

Three LAPD officers face felony charges for falsely labeling people as "gang members"

QuoteAccording to a 59-count criminal complaint, the three were charged with conspiracy, filing false reports, and preparing fraudulent documents for court.
And btw, 21 additional officers are still under investigation.

Baruch

"BLUE LIVES MATTER PROTESTS ERUPT ACROSS US AS CONSERVATIVES START SPEAKING OUT" ... silent majority who aren't criminals

Y'all - kill the Republicans
Them - killl the Democrats
Me - selling beer and hotdogs ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"TRUMP TELLS MINNESOTA TO TAKE CARE ITS OWN LEFTIST RIOTER PROBLEM, REFUSES TO SEND MONEY" ... reminds me of 45 years ago when President Ford told NYC to "Drop Dead".  Let the Democrat nut jobs clean up their own mess.  On the other hand, the gangster rap Blacks brought this upon themselves.  Their culture not mine.  What Minneapolis needs is spare stunt dragons from Game of Thrones ... just reduce that Dem city to ash.  Go Daenerys Targaryen, toxic feminism ho!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Rosycheeked_rebel

NULL

Baruch

You don't remember the 60s, do you ;-)  Back then, it was revolutionary to unbutton the top button of your dress shirt, to wear bell bottoms ;-)

I don't envy teachers now.  Particularly public school ones.  My Ex teaches at a private school ... the children wouldn't dare misbehave.  As I understand it, they don't teach Civics anymore (too many old hippies teaching now).  We had Civics in 9th grade.  Social studies/American history in later years.  I don't think any of that is taught in public schools now.  They basically have defaulted on their reason for operating.  Close them, put all the kids in home school or private school.  Don't arrest parents who spank their brats.

Based on my daughter's Millennial education, they didn't get much education (other than English grammar).  She learned arithmetic when we gave her a checking account.  Babysitting for irresponsible Boomer parents.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"BLM Supporters Ambush, Murder Young White Mother For Saying 'All Lives Matter'" ... of course they do.  Arrest and execute without trial, any militants.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2020, 04:56:55 PM
"BLM Supporters Ambush, Murder Young White Mother For Saying 'All Lives Matter'" ... of course they do.  Arrest and execute without trial, any militants.

This story strikes me as a bit less "black and white" than the headline suggests. The woman and "a group of friends", who all happen to be armed, were walking around Indianapolis Canal Walk, where two people were murdered the week before in an armed robbery, at around 3 a.m. A "group of strangers" confronted the woman's group. Guns were drawn and an argument ensued in which someone in the suspect group shouted 'Black Lives Matter,' to which the woman or someone in her group replied "All Lives Matter."

The groups 'then fist bumped and walked away from each other,' but then her boyfriend says they were ambushed from a nearby bridge and ran away. Boyfriend admits he returned fire but says he didn't hit anyone.

This sounds more like a gang confrontation then the murder of a woman who may or may not have said "All Lives Matter." I'm not disparaging any of the people involved but the political spin being put on this incident.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on July 12, 2020, 08:27:28 PM
"BLUE LIVES MATTER PROTESTS ERUPT ACROSS US AS CONSERVATIVES START SPEAKING OUT" ... silent majority who aren't criminals

Y'all - kill the Republicans
Them - killl the Democrats
Me - selling beer and hotdogs ;-)

And kill the retired! We've just got that one in. The memo says the old men who can't deal with getting retired should be killed because they're spreading too much bullshit. ;-)

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 13, 2020, 05:35:37 PM
This story strikes me as a bit less "black and white" than the headline suggests. The woman and "a group of friends", who all happen to be armed, were walking around Indianapolis Canal Walk, where two people were murdered the week before in an armed robbery, at around 3 a.m. A "group of strangers" confronted the woman's group. Guns were drawn and an argument ensued in which someone in the suspect group shouted 'Black Lives Matter,' to which the woman or someone in her group replied "All Lives Matter."

The groups 'then fist bumped and walked away from each other,' but then her boyfriend says they were ambushed from a nearby bridge and ran away. Boyfriend admits he returned fire but says he didn't hit anyone.

This sounds more like a gang confrontation then the murder of a woman who may or may not have said "All Lives Matter." I'm not disparaging any of the people involved but the political spin being put on this incident.

Gangs are normal now.  Not meetings between monks and nuns (for a little sin).  Everything has political spin.  Get used to it.  I lived in a Hispanic gang neighborhood when my daughter was born.  I gave them respect, spoke a little Spanish.  One had to emotionally deal with the gangland assassination 100 years away at the phone boot outside the 7-11 store ;-)

BLM is a gang, a Marxist gang.  I will not give them any respect.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.