George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 01, 2020, 06:16:28 PM
Yet your calling me racist because I said you have "tunnel vision". Also when Shiranu baits me and denies things, I stop arguing to calm myself and because I'm talking to a wall. I find it funny whenever an argument comes up many of you are radical left biased crazy and not atleast skeptical at all of any source. Makes me wonder if you value logic and reason over political propaganda that controls your brain.
Mate, a couple years ago you were talking about how you wanted to fuck your cousins. You don't get to accuse other people of being crazy.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Something seems to get lost when talking about the Confederacy.  Robert E. Lee, AP Hill, Stonewall Jackson (and all the other officer 'hero's) all the way down to the lowest ranking private--all, every single one of them, were NOT Americans.  They elected to leave the United States of America.  Let me repeat--they were NOT US citizens.  All of them were traitors to the United States of America.  Their Just Cause turned out to be the Lost Cause.  Yet we treat them as hero's??!!  Why?  One reason is that the history of politics in the USA was/is controlled by rich white men.  As has been seen, rich white men find more kinship with other rich white men, even of the Confederacy--even traitors. Why has the statues and monuments of the Civil War 'heroes' been erected to begin with and why have they been allowed to stay????   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2020, 11:47:44 PMWhy has the statues and monuments of the Civil War 'heroes' been erected to begin with and why have they been allowed to stay????
Timeline of Confederate statues

Decades after the Confederacy collapsed and purely coincidentally, it peaked right as the NAACP was founded.  And another, much smaller peak during the Civil Rights Era.

It's almost as if there was something else going on besides honoring the war dead.

Cassia

karen, is that you?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2020, 11:47:44 PM
Something seems to get lost when talking about the Confederacy.  Robert E. Lee, AP Hill, Stonewall Jackson (and all the other officer 'hero's) all the way down to the lowest ranking private--all, every single one of them, were NOT Americans.  They elected to leave the United States of America.  Let me repeat--they were NOT US citizens.  All of them were traitors to the United States of America.  Their Just Cause turned out to be the Lost Cause.  Yet we treat them as hero's??!!  Why?  One reason is that the history of politics in the USA was/is controlled by rich white men.  As has been seen, rich white men find more kinship with other rich white men, even of the Confederacy--even traitors. Why has the statues and monuments of the Civil War 'heroes' been erected to begin with and why have they been allowed to stay????
You know us Southern gals just love 'Colonel Angus'. When he comes through my parts I hope he lingers a good while.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2020, 11:47:44 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederates_in_the_Attic

Some people are still fighting the Civil War.  Some are Yankees.

The US has yet to recover from the California Freak Revolution of 1965-1975.  In that case, there are people alive today who still remember it, unlike the Civil War ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 01, 2020, 11:53:15 PM

Decades after the Confederacy collapsed and purely coincidentally, it peaked right as the NAACP was founded.  And another, much smaller peak during the Civil Rights Era.

It's almost as if there was something else going on besides honoring the war dead.

Yes, we had the failure of Republican Reconstruction after 1875, and the institution of Jim Crow.  What the US needed was Karl Marx, just ask the NYT.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 01, 2020, 11:53:15 PM

Thanks for the chart--I had not seen that before.  The KKK began it second coming in the mid teens--a few years later there was a huge influx of Confederate statues.  Could it be that these were reminders to our 'colored' populace to remain in their place? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which maintains a list of these monuments, the memorials are spread over 31 states plus the District of Columbiaâ€"far exceeding the 11 Confederate states that seceded at the outset of the Civil War.

Most of these monuments did not go up immediately after the war’s end in 1865. During that time, commemorative markers of the Civil War tended to be memorials that mourned soldiers who had died, says Mark Elliott, a history professor at University of North Carolina, Greensboro.

“Eventually they started to build [Confederate] monuments,” he says. “The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation.” According to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s research, the biggest spike was between 1900 and the 1920s.

In contrast to the earlier memorials that mourned dead soldiers, these monuments tended to glorify leaders of the Confederacy like General Robert E. Lee, former President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis and General “Thomas Stonewall” Jackson.

“All of those monuments were there to teach values to people,” Elliott says. “That’s why they put them in the city squares. That’s why they put them in front of state buildings.” Many earlier memorials had instead been placed in cemeteries.

The values these monuments stood for, he says, included a “glorification of the cause of the Civil War.”

White women were instrumental in raising funds to build these Confederate monuments. The United Daughters of the Confederacy, founded in the 1890s, was probably the most important and influential group, Elliott says.

By then, the construction of new Confederate monuments had begun to taper off, but the backlash to the Civil Rights Movement was spreading Confederate symbols in other ways: In 1956, Georgia redesigned its state flag to include the Confederate battle flag; and in 1962, South Carolina placed the flag atop its capitol building. In a 2016 report, the Southern Poverty Law Center said that the country’s more than 700 monuments were part of roughly 1,500 symbols of the Confederacy in public spaces.

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 01, 2020, 09:56:32 PM
Mate, a couple years ago you were talking about how you wanted to fuck your cousins. You don't get to accuse other people of being crazy.
Now hold on there....wanting to fuck your cousin and actually fuckin your cousin is two different things. I know.

Er.......skip that last part....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

I want monuments erected to the great freak war of 1965-1975 ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I think this post fits in that thread.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/washington-redskins-to-review-racist-team-name_n_5eff4ab2c5b6ca97091dc24c

Washington Redskins To Review Racist Team Name.

It is well fucking past time to make this happen.  Once again, a old, rich, white guy gets to do whatever the fuck he wants.  Now many of the corps that pay for advertising are demanding a change.  The only way to make a rich white man to change is to attack his wallet.  Well, there is a hypothesis out there that the law can do that.  But, as typical, the law is always trumped (pun intended) by money.

Baruch

Changing team names is old news.  Change all team names to "overpriced african-americans who feel oppressed" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Wisdom from the past ...

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” ― Malcolm X

The Internet has changed all that, and the usual suspects aren't happy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.