George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Two more confederate statues were taken down in Raleigh, voluntarily this time

People really get down on protestors taking matters into their own hands and not going through proper channels, but I've gotta say, they get results.  Years of lobbying and complaints didn't work, but one night of direct action really changed the political landscape of Raleigh.  The people in power got that message loud and clear.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 20, 2020, 04:46:19 AMBecause nothing says innocence like destroying all evidence.
Or not recording in the first place.  Highly suspicious and imo, the standard reaction to this should be to assume foul play and free the officer to pursue a more private job elsewhere.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 20, 2020, 12:32:09 PM
I saw this on Facebook recently. There's no doubting that Satan is an important part of Christian mythology, but if people started erecting statues of Satan, or wear/display the Sigil of Baphomet in church, it might send a slightly different message than, "Hey, I'm just preserving Christian traditions."

Most Protestants regard the RCC as Satanic.  It's not just atheists ;-)

Yes, you SciFi lovers would end all history all tradition.  It is the only thing holding us back from the "woke" Star Wars utopia ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 20, 2020, 12:56:43 PM
Two more confederate statues were taken down in Raleigh, voluntarily this time

People really get down on protestors taking matters into their own hands and not going through proper channels, but I've gotta say, they get results.  Years of lobbying and complaints didn't work, but one night of direct action really changed the political landscape of Raleigh.  The people in power got that message loud and clear.

Weak.  Attack city hall and burn out the politicians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Friday evening I drove through a protest by accident.  We are so rural in my area, that it's hard to find a place that has enough people to create a commotion.  Of course, it was just a peaceful get together with maybe 100 protestors and maybe 15 gawkers, and the whole tone of the event was benign.  Everyone was smiling holding up BLM signs and singing.  A couple of motorists honked on the way by.  I didn't see any cops, not one.

But there was one agitator holding up a confederate flag walking around among the protestors.  He was smiling, but with a taunting "take a swing at me" smile.  The protestors ignored him, even when he would almost shove the flag right in their faces and try to make eye contact.  It was perplexing.  It was a Black Lives Matter theme, opposed by a guy with a confederate flag.  What the hell does that mean?  Black lives don't matter?  The South will rise again?  I'm from Appalachia and I married my sister? 

At one time I thought the confederate flag was a cute novelty.  When I was little, some clothing manufacturer manufactured North and South uniforms.  The hats became a fad, although the pants and shirts didn't sell that well.  So all the kids my age had to have a Civil War cap like the privates wore.  The color wasn't that important, and we all appreciated each other's hats regardless of the color, so I thought that was the way it was with flags.  They were just similar to walking around with a pennant supporting the Chicago Bears, but nothing beyond that.

Of course that's not what the confederate flags are about at all, or the statues.  It's very much about race and Aryan supremacy.  A while back, it was fashionable for the right wing to claim the the Civil War was not about race or slavery, but that it was an economic war.  An interesting perspective?  I don't think so.  It was a false claim meant to reshape the debate from a bunch of bigots treating people like shit to an uprising of the disadvantaged deprived of a better life.  The Civil war WAS about slavery.  It was about the right to treat a minority like animals.  It was about Aryan supremacy.  The war ended slavery, but not ignorant bigotry.  It only did half the job or less.

Put the flags and statues in a museums of horror, like the Holocaust Museums.  But in front of public buildings?

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on June 21, 2020, 07:25:57 AM
Friday evening I drove through a protest by accident.  We are so rural in my area, that it's hard to find a place that has enough people to create a commotion.  Of course, it was just a peaceful get together with maybe 100 protestors and maybe 15 gawkers, and the whole tone of the event was benign.  Everyone was smiling holding up BLM signs and singing.  A couple of motorists honked on the way by.  I didn't see any cops, not one.

But there was one agitator holding up a confederate flag walking around among the protestors.  He was smiling, but with a taunting "take a swing at me" smile.  The protestors ignored him, even when he would almost shove the flag right in their faces and try to make eye contact.  It was perplexing.  It was a Black Lives Matter theme, opposed by a guy with a confederate flag.  What the hell does that mean?  Black lives don't matter?  The South will rise again?  I'm from Appalachia and I married my sister? 

At one time I thought the confederate flag was a cute novelty.  When I was little, some clothing manufacturer manufactured North and South uniforms.  The hats became a fad, although the pants and shirts didn't sell that well.  So all the kids my age had to have a Civil War cap like the privates wore.  The color wasn't that important, and we all appreciated each other's hats regardless of the color, so I thought that was the way it was with flags.  They were just similar to walking around with a pennant supporting the Chicago Bears, but nothing beyond that.

Of course that's not what the confederate flags are about at all, or the statues.  It's very much about race and Aryan supremacy.  A while back, it was fashionable for the right wing to claim the the Civil War was not about race or slavery, but that it was an economic war.  An interesting perspective?  I don't think so.  It was a false claim meant to reshape the debate from a bunch of bigots treating people like shit to an uprising of the disadvantaged deprived of a better life.  The Civil war WAS about slavery.  It was about the right to treat a minority like animals.  It was about Aryan supremacy.  The war ended slavery, but not ignorant bigotry.  It only did half the job or less.

Put the flags and statues in a museums of horror, like the Holocaust Museums.  But in front of public buildings?

Residing in Georgia and Florida I was surrounded by that 'southern pride' bullshit while growing up. Proud of being losing traitors, LOL. Even the Southern Baptist churches owned slaves. Well, it is pretty stupid to start a war when you have hardly any war materials industry. Pretty stupid to invade the North with barely any supplies and then press the attack when the enemy holds the good ground. Well I guess they felt they had to because of the naval blockade was slowly chocking them. The Union could have just hung all those traitors instead of letting them live to continue propagating their sick agenda.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 21, 2020, 07:25:57 AM

Hey, old man.  Be more careful.  We would miss you if you get hurt!  Good thing it wasn't a group of BLM/AntiFa demonstrators, they would tarred and feathered you for being old and White!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on June 21, 2020, 11:46:50 AM
Residing in Georgia and Florida I was surrounded by that 'southern pride' bullshit while growing up. Proud of being losing traitors, LOL. Even the Southern Baptist churches owned slaves. Well, it is pretty stupid to start a war when you have hardly any war materials industry. Pretty stupid to invade the North with barely any supplies and then press the attack when the enemy holds the good ground. Well I guess they felt they had to because of the naval blockade was slowly chocking them. The Union could have just hung all those traitors instead of letting them live to continue propagating their sick agenda.

My exact argument years ago, with an overly bold Southern co-worker.  What is the price of treason?  If the Radical Republicans had gotten their way, every American would be half-Black from miscegenation ;-)  Today Dems are communists and criminals, not slave holders.  Seems like another case of treason to me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on June 21, 2020, 11:46:50 AM
I did live (well, I existed) in Alabama for a lifetime (5 years).  When I first attended school the first question I remembered being asked was if I was a rebel or a yankee.  I had no idea what they were talking about.  Told them I was from Oregon, so they informed me I was a Yankee.  I also learned soon after arriving that there wasn't any civil war--it was The War Of Yankee Aggression!!  I'm with you Cassia, I think the North was much too lenient with the Confederates.  No Confederate soldier or member of the Confederacy should have been allowed to hold an office of any kind.  The former slaves should have had all of the plantation lands divided up among them.  And I could go on and on.  They needed to be treated as the traitors they were.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Yep, if it wasn't for that damned Lincoln and his reconciling 1864 inaugural speech, we could have had Karl Marx come over from London and be our Commissar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 21, 2020, 02:07:55 PM
I did live (well, I existed) in Alabama for a lifetime (5 years).  When I first attended school the first question I remembered being asked was if I was a rebel or a yankee.  I had no idea what they were talking about.  Told them I was from Oregon, so they informed me I was a Yankee.  I also learned soon after arriving that there wasn't any civil war--it was The War Of Yankee Aggression!!  I'm with you Cassia, I think the North was much too lenient with the Confederates.  No Confederate soldier or member of the Confederacy should have been allowed to hold an office of any kind.  The former slaves should have had all of the plantation lands divided up among them.  And I could go on and on.  They needed to be treated as the traitors they were.
A guy from Texas showed up on our Forest Service summer crew in Montana one year.  He made a big fuss out of being from Texas, and had cultivated KKK philosophies that few in the clan would openly state in public.  He used to try to get under people's skin by calling them Yankees, which is kind of silly in Montana, because the average Montanan would be about as insulted by that as if he had been called a baseball player.

After I married my wife, who grew up in Maine, I was telling her about that guy one time.  I mentioned that "Yankee" to that Texan was like the ultimate insult.  I was surprised when my wife took offense.  It's almost like she was reading me the riot act.  "Yankee?  Yankee," she almost screamed.  "You're no Yankee!  I'm a Yankee!  I'm from New England.  Not you."  And from her tone, it was something she was obviously deeply proud of, as in, "You're damn right I'm a Yankee, you slack jawed dumb ass."

And she was right, as usual.  Oregon or Montana didn't even exist as states, or at least had nothing to do with the Civil War.  It was just a few scruffy trappers and misfits, who couldn't survive back east, and probably didn't give a shit about anything more than a mile away from their cabin.  Being called a Yankee would at most be puzzling: 

"Hey, that there varmint done called me a Yankee.  Is that a bad thing or a good thing?"
"Hell if I know, but I'd shoot him anyways." 

Baruch

Texans are special, and I was only born there ;-)  Maine would be nice too, rural, unlike the New England states too close to NYC.

As the US economy went up and down, when I lived in Colorado, we were insulted first by rich Texans buying up property, and later by rich Californios ;-)

There were plenty of Mid-West states that contributed troops to the Union.  Springfield was a bigger deal than Chicago.  At that time, there hadn't been the mass migrations from E Europe or Scandinavia.  So they were pretty much descendants of New Englanders.  That all changed by the 1920s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on June 17, 2020, 08:59:20 PM
The Great  Antifa Hysteria, or as George Carlin said... "It's all bullshit, folks, and it's bad for ya."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/opinion/antifa-protests.html

People are legitimately getting hurt, getting killed, over this fear mongering. We have right-wing terrorists using this "leftist" fear to carry out attacks on police, LGBT+ and African American communities and blaming it on the protesters (thankfully they tend to also be fucking idiots and get caught).

And yet we actually have people here who legitimately think this is the bigger threat, and that boggles my mind.
I still want to know when opposition to fascism became a bad thing...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Quote from: trdsf on June 21, 2020, 05:37:44 PM
Or some conservative media calling backlash to antifa anti-antifa ...

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 21, 2020, 05:37:44 PM

"Da, Communism is good, for me" - Joseph Stalin.  He was the primary opposition, not Churchill, not FDR.  AntiFa is a German communist organization (and a total failure) from the 1930s.

When did opposition to Democrat traitors become a bad thing?  How can you vilify Republicans?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.