George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 13, 2020, 06:21:14 PMUnfortunately true.
I am only speculating.  I don't know either way, of course.  Though when Floyd's autopsy result failed to mention asphyxiation (a rather glaring oversight) and Breonna Taylor's autopsy result lists no injuries (she was shot at least 8 times by police and although I'm no medical expert, I'm pretty sure that getting shot counts as an injury), my level of trust has taken a bit of a hit and I've gotten to the point that I'm no longer content to merely take their word for it, though I seem to have little choice.

So I ask myself if they have a vested interest in one conclusion over another, and I surmise that they do.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on June 13, 2020, 06:20:46 PM
And Atlanta's police chief has now resigned over the shooting in the back of an unarmed black man fleeing from police on Friday night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/us/atlanta-police-shooting-rayshard-brooks.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

What are they trying to do? I mean, really, what is it, what is the gain, what are they trying to prove? Naked agression wins?! No shit! They're trying to instill fear so build 'order' on that? It's nothing but a short cut to create a society based on crime. That's how human behaviour evolves under these circumstances. We are living through this.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 14, 2020, 05:53:19 AM
What are they trying to do? I mean, really, what is it, what is the gain, what are they trying to prove? Naked agression wins?! No shit! They're trying to instill fear so build 'order' on that? It's nothing but a short cut to create a society based on crime. That's how human behaviour evolves under these circumstances. We are living through this.

There is a political tactic called doubling down, and I think this may be part of it.  The National Rifle Association does it.  When people say, "Let's take guns off the street," the NRA says, "No. No. We should arm teachers.  Trump does it and the police are doing it, or maybe it's coincidence that there's more killing in the midst of protests calling for less killing.  Maybe the press is just being more vigilant and reporting more because it's a current hot topic, which is not very reassuring, because that would mean it happens more than is reported.  Doubling down seems most often done with aggressive actions, or in the case of politicians with an aggressive threatening demeanor.  It s bully tactic.  I'm not sure if the tactic works or not.  I'm not sure if peaceful protests even work either.  The status quo is very resistant to change, even positive change.

drunkenshoe

Thanks. Yeah, I looked it up, it is a black jack term. It's deadly moronic. Because that means, it is not just they think anything is wrong -which we already knew- but they also think what ever they do, it won't change how people behave, live or work; how the society works in the end. Why, because they will be scared for their lives, right? I'm sure some people see 'straightforward' logic in that.

Well, wrong. It is far from it. As mentioned many times, if you break the social contract, if you shoot, harm and kill innocent people, you lose all your legitmacy which is actually more than a badge and a gun. You transform innocent people into criminals less than a couple of generations. It takes far less time than people think. Why would they obey the laws, if laws do not work for them? At some point people will start to attack each other, steal from each other and kill each other. This doesn't work like 'oh ok, that was about racial injustice, this part of life is different, I should obey the law when it comes to other stuff'.

It's a perfect recipe to create a criminal society. Perfect circumstances for gangs infesting all over, even old, traditional style mafia. I mean imagine... if this goes on like this and gets worse, would you go to the police when you are in trouble? I have been watching this movie for the last 15 years. Don't tell me, that's Middle East. It's the same fucking shit.

Well, you know all this. I am talking to myself mostly. Things are even worse in here. I keep seeing huge waves, like tsunami waves... going over people in the sea in my dreams. But it is sunny. That's really annoying. It's fucking sunny. I wish I could go completely insane and don't give a fuck about anything, anywhere.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

For the two people who think the Corona virus is a reason to stop protesting: https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/12/mn-coronavirus-george-floyd-early-test-results-show-few-protesters/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=fb-PioneerPress&fbclid=IwAR3ItUKkB8pKsTyjpBWRyzEg_9_cWCJkKuxWr6vZ6wzA7bv5Zgy7ILAFAIE

It actually looks like they're testing positive at a rate lower than the general population. That's 1.4% vs 3.7%. So we can't keep pretending that concern for a spike in infections is a reason to silence protests.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgxtcbc4iU

Facts don't care about your feelings. Sam Harris weighs in on this, and uses statistics to argue his case.

How many white people do you know who were killed by cops?

drunkenshoe

Yeah, Sam Harris. LOL. I pumped right wing all along with the state policies, but you know I'm actually a good, neat guy. It will work because you are fucking stupid and I need to make money anyway.

Hydra009

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Looting and raping--yep, that is what Seattle is noted for.  Sea food and rain (therefore, great, great flowers!) is what Seattle has, but they are really really good at looting and raping.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Another one!  Man, bullshit central has been busy lately!

Hydra009

Walking while black: teen arrested for "jaywalking" (walking down an otherwise empty back road with no sidewalk)

I probably jaywalk a dozen times a day (no sidewalk, large bushes right up to the curb) and never once feared that I would be thrown to the ground and handcuffed because of it.

Unbeliever

Oh, it says the cops do that to build rapport. Now it makes sense...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 15, 2020, 01:44:35 PM

Another one!  Man, bullshit central has been busy lately!
Hell, they're only just getting started.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Hey Mike, I didn't know flowers like seafood!
God Not Found