George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 11, 2020, 12:28:28 PM
I remember when I learned that traffic cops get paid based on the number of citations they wrote, and that they had a quota to fill. That is absolutely ridiculous. They essentially gain from another's loss. I understand skepticism with a cop making few to no citations, but basing their income on how many tickets they write? BTW, you should be more careful driving near the end of the month. That's when they must meet their quota.

Want justice?  Die.  The dead are all judged justly.  Yes, avoid cops.  Wise move.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY

I'm starting to change my views on police unions, too.  Shielding abusers is a big part of this mess.

Baruch

Neither Hitler nor Stalin liked unions either.  Interfered with their serial killing.  Used to be supporting unions was liberal.  All power to the Soviet Union! (irony).

I rejected Jimmy Carter in 1976 (first presidential election I voted in) because he had Teamster support, and the Teamsters had Mafia support.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 11, 2020, 12:28:28 PM
I remember when I learned that traffic cops get paid based on the number of citations they wrote, and that they had a quota to fill. That is absolutely ridiculous. They essentially gain from another's loss. I understand skepticism with a cop making few to no citations, but basing their income on how many tickets they write? BTW, you should be more careful driving near the end of the month. That's when they must meet their quota.
If you think that's bad, some prisons operate on a quota system.  In other words, the priority is on filling cells (and conspicuously, making money in the process) rather than protecting the community.

People's lives (generally) aren't ruined because of a traffic ticket and no one (generally) gets shanked because of one.

Unbeliever

Prison guards have a lot more ways to hurt people in their care than just beating them up.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 11, 2020, 05:27:46 PM
Prison guards have a lot more ways to hurt people in their care than just beating them up.
For real.  I recently heard that they charge inmates by the minute for reading on an e-reader.  Roughly 1 hour of hard labor for one minute of reading!  FFS, isn't the whole point to rehabilitate these people?

Granted, they could rent a physical copy of the book for free (I hope) - assuming the prison library has it - and it very easily might not.  That's still no excuse for price-gouging on tablets.  They don't cost much to own or maintain.  You can get some of them for less than $50 now.  And they barely use any electricity at all.  This isn't exactly a luxury item.

GSOgymrat

My younger brother, who also happens to be an atheist, has a theory that you can predict most people's position on moral issues with one question: "If someone commits a crime which is more important: rehabilitation or punishment?"

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Shiranu

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-12/investigation-ongoing-after-young-black-man-found-hanging-from-tree-in-palmdale

QuoteThe Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the death of a 24-year-old Black man who was found hanging from a tree near Palmdale City Hall earlier this week, authorities said.

Sheriff’s officials said Friday that it appeared the man died by suicide, though a full autopsy is planned.

A passerby spotted the man’s body at 3:39 a.m. Wednesday in the 38300 block of 9th Street East, according to authorities.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene and determined that the man â€" later identified as Robert Fuller â€" was dead, authorities said.

Conveniently, there just happened to be no working cameras in the area. They also declared it a suicide before any autopsy or investigation happened and are now saying they spoke too swiftly and are looking into it.

And who knows, it may 100% be a suicide, I can see someone already suicidal doing it because of it's symbolism in the current enviroment... but lynchings do still happen in the U.S. and I know there are a lot of very pissed off white people right now.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Though, if it wasn't a suicide, would they say so?  Surely they know how the nation would react.

Shiranu

And Atlanta's police chief has now resigned over the shooting in the back of an unarmed black man fleeing from police on Friday night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/us/atlanta-police-shooting-rayshard-brooks.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2020, 09:27:36 PM
Though, if it wasn't a suicide, would they say so?  Surely they know how the nation would react.

Unfortunately true.

Draconic Aiur

In defense of the police alot of the "peaceful protesters" are arrogantly disrespecting the police and threatening to cause violence.

For a police man using tactics to control the mob is best because it can lead to burning of buildings and cars, unlawful land occupations, violence against other people, especially police men who's job is to be out there in the middle of the rioting. The mob or riots also block traffic. How would you feel is you need to go get supplies, groceries, and or medication and there was a wall of humans stopping you. Especially when the need is great for supplies.

You can't have tunnel vision with a issue like this.

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 13, 2020, 07:19:10 PM
In defense of the police alot of the "peaceful protesters" are arrogantly disrespecting the police
Allow me to play Mad World on the world's smallest violin.

Quoteand threatening to cause violence.
At least that one's actually a crime - communicating threats.  Though I wonder, which is worse, threatening to cause violence or actually causing violence?  Hmmm...

QuoteFor a police man using tactics to control the mob is best because it can lead to burning of buildings and cars, unlawful land occupations, violence against other people, especially police men who's job is to be out there in the middle of the rioting.
That's unlawful and wrong of course.  And it's the police's job to catch people doing such crimes.  It is not their job to pepperspray people who simply had the misfortune to be in their field of vision, to permanently blind journalists with "less lethal" rounds, or to use CS gas after agreeing to not use CS gas for a month.  It is also not the police's job to act as judge, jury, and executioner - which is the whole reason these people are protesting in the first place.

QuoteThe mob or riots also block traffic. How would you feel is you need to go get supplies, groceries, and or medication and there was a wall of humans stopping you. Especially when the need is great for supplies.
Fortunately, the police are well equipped and trained to break up such congestion with minimal harm.  They don't need to shove over grandpa and send him to the ER because he was walking away too slow and then lie and tell the world that he "tripped".

Oh, and speaking about getting groceries...

She was just getting groceries.  No "mob" did this.  The police did this.  Police who are both trained and expected to be MUCH better than that.