George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/two-thirds-of-national-guard-deployed-for-washington-protests-are-de-mobilizing-governor-says/281-5353e27b-704e-48a1-86ff-a084aecc92ce

QuoteTrump: "Radical Left Governor @JayInslee and the Mayor of Seattle are being taunted and played at a level that our great Country has never seen before. Take back your city NOW. If you don’t do it, I will. This is not a game. These ugly Anarchists must be stooped [sic] IMMEDIATELY. MOVE FAST!"

In response, Inslee Tweeted: "A man who is totally incapable of governing should stay out of Washington state’s business. “Stoop” tweeting."

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan replied on Twitter with "Make us all safe. Go back to your bunker. #BlackLivesMatter"

Trump followed up with "Domestic Terrorists have taken over Seattle, run by Radical Left Democrats, of course. LAW & ORDER!"

Ahahahah "Radical Left". Gawd, American right wing terminology... I wish these people would actually get to know what is 'radical left' in their life time. The Central Liberal Right is Radical Left in the US. Lololol. Guys...sigh.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 10, 2020, 11:44:54 PM
When this first started, I would've been fine with just 3 (no excessive force) and 6 (bodycams).  I talked to my brother about this and he's adamant about 4.  He said that without some sort of external oversight, there's no way these forces are going to serve the community like they're supposed to - internal affairs just ain't cutting it.  Considering the ample evidence of police brutality lately, I'm inclined to agree.

I suppose I have brutal cops to thank for inadvertently pushing America towards major changes.  Earlier, I would have been okay with the status quo with fairly minor tweaks.  Now, I see that the whole system has to be restructured in a way that protects the community from thuggish behavior.  And I have the brutal cops to thank it - for forcing this ugliness into the spotlight.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion.  A few years ago, I was skeptical about police brutality.  Today, I see it as an undeniable phenomenon that is widespread and endemic.  It should not be that way.  I've been cited by respectful cops, but it's been in small towns where the Sheriff is your neighbor.  I don't think I saw the whole picture.  This needs to stop, starting with the way police are handling protests.  Trump is not helping.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 10, 2020, 11:44:54 PM
When this first started, I would've been fine with just 3 (no excessive force) and 6 (bodycams).  I talked to my brother about this and he's adamant about 4.  He said that without some sort of external oversight, there's no way these forces are going to serve the community like they're supposed to - internal affairs just ain't cutting it.  Considering the ample evidence of police brutality lately, I'm inclined to agree.

I agree with your brother that there needs to be an independent federal office to investigate charges of death or serious injury by law enforcement. One indicator this is necessary is currently there is no data on the number of deaths or serious injuries by law enforcement. Legislation has been passed that these data be gathered but it hasn’t happened. A federal agency is necessary because currently there are conflicts of interest between district attorneys, law enforcement, and mayors. District attorneys work daily with law enforcement to make cases and the last thing they want to do challenge the conduct of law enforcement. Similarly, the police chief is typically aligned with the mayor. The mayor doesn’t want to go to war with law enforcement because they are some of the most powerful constituents in the community. Incentives are in place for them to work together. An outside agency offering whistleblower protection and enabling anyone to report a concern would have several advantages. It relieves the DA and mayor of responsibility, can gather data on death and serious injury by law enforcement, set standards of conduct, and provide training and education. A federal agency could also stop the current practice of bad law enforcement officers being fired from one department, moving to another city, and being rehired.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 11, 2020, 03:39:43 AM
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/two-thirds-of-national-guard-deployed-for-washington-protests-are-de-mobilizing-governor-says/281-5353e27b-704e-48a1-86ff-a084aecc92ce

Ahahahah "Radical Left". Gawd, American right wing terminology... I wish these people would actually get to know what is 'radical left' in their life time. The Central Liberal Right is Radical Left in the US. Lololol. Guys...sigh.

This is why the NYT correspondent in London, one Mr Karl Marx ... is full of shit.  De Tocqueville actually visited here (Marx did not).  De tocqueville is worth reading, Marx is not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 10, 2020, 11:12:34 PM

No, you didn't protest because of a trial result that hasn't happened yet.  But upping the charges to 2nd degree murder, it is now harder to convict.  Will you protest when this pandering to BLM lets this cop free?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2020, 07:12:23 AM
I'm pretty much of the same opinion.  A few years ago, I was skeptical about police brutality.  Today, I see it as an undeniable phenomenon that is widespread and endemic.  It should not be that way.  I've been cited by respectful cops, but it's been in small towns where the Sheriff is your neighbor.  I don't think I saw the whole picture.  This needs to stop, starting with the way police are handling protests.  Trump is not helping.

Protests are legal.  Rioting, looting, arson and insurrection are not protests!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2020, 08:59:40 AM
Protests are legal.  Rioting, looting, arson and insurrection are not protests!

There are legal forms of protest, illegal forms of protest, non-violent protest and violent protest. I don't support violent protests. I might support illegal protests depending on the circumstances. I agree smashing the window of a small, minority-owned bakery and grabbing a cheesecake and a bottle of wine (which happened where I live) isn't actually a protest.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 11, 2020, 10:37:59 AM
There are legal forms of protest, illegal forms of protest, non-violent protest and violent protest. I don't support violent protests. I might support illegal protests depending on the circumstances. I agree smashing the window of a small, minority-owned bakery and grabbing a cheesecake and a bottle of wine (which happened where I live) isn't actually a protest.

Don't join the BS.  Truth is False.  Falsehood is True.  This is typical semantic confusion.

Islam is a religion of peace (not).  There are legal complications with marches and protests ... but none of that is violence.  Do you have a permit for your march etc.  That illegality isn't equal to arson.  This was a big problem last year with Extinction Rebellion in London.  They were blocking traffic and even commuter trains.  That is illegal for a good reason.  If the demonstrations were restricted to Hyde Park, that would be OK.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2020, 11:05:05 AM
Don't join the BS.  Truth is False.  Falsehood is True.  This is typical semantic confusion.

Islam is a religion of peace (not).  There are legal complications with marches and protests ... but none of that is violence.  Do you have a permit for your march etc.  That illegality isn't equal to arson.  This was a big problem last year with Extinction Rebellion in London.  They were blocking traffic and even commuter trains.  That is illegal for a good reason.  If the demonstrations were restricted to Hyde Park, that would be OK.
I'm pretty sure if the protests were confined to a park somewhere, the protests wouldn't achieve anything other than be a small nuisance.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 11, 2020, 11:25:30 AM
I'm pretty sure if the protests were confined to a park somewhere, the protests wouldn't achieve anything other than be a small nuisance.

So you support burning down the WH and killing the President, to show you are serious?  That isn't "redress of grievances".

What gets political notice is not reelecting incumbents.  All of this isn't just politicians ignoring you, it is voters being deplorables.

Sorry, you're just a violent revolutionary, who is virtue signaling (officer, I didn't mean to torch that car)?  Toddlers with molotov cocktails.

I want what I want right now, and if the voting doesn't support me, I will sit down in the middle of the grocery aisle and cry!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2020, 11:33:05 AM
So you support burning down the WH and killing the President, to show you are serious?  That isn't "redress of grievances".

What gets political notice is not reelecting incumbents.  All of this isn't just politicians ignoring you, it is voters being deplorables.

Sorry, your just a violent revolutionary, who is virtue signaling (officer, I didn't mean to torch that car).
Why are you so full of shit?

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 11, 2020, 11:33:56 AM
Why are you so full of shit?

I saw this all before.  It was such a Greening of America, Nixon was elected.  Please be a criminal, so that Trump will be re-elected then.

People who forget history, just repeat it.  The Seattle Soviet is threatening to suicide if they aren't fed.  Don't remember Jim Jones, do they?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2020, 11:35:51 AM
I saw this all before.  It was such a Greening of America, Nixon was elected.  Please be a criminal, so that Trump will be re-elected then.

People who forget history, just repeat it.  The Seattle Soviet is threatening to suicide if they aren't fed.  Don't remember Jim Jones, do they?
History repeating itself is because we forget what happened last generation, and people don't read history books or watch history documentaries.

With that down, why are you so full of shit?

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2020, 11:33:05 AM

Sorry, you're just a violent revolutionary, who is virtue signaling (officer, I didn't mean to torch that car)?  Toddlers with molotov cocktails.

I want what I want right now, and if the voting doesn't support me, I will sit down in the middle of the grocery aisle and cry!

Blackleaf

I remember when I learned that traffic cops get paid based on the number of citations they wrote, and that they had a quota to fill. That is absolutely ridiculous. They essentially gain from another's loss. I understand skepticism with a cop making few to no citations, but basing their income on how many tickets they write? BTW, you should be more careful driving near the end of the month. That's when they must meet their quota.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 11, 2020, 11:43:05 AM
History repeating itself is because we forget what happened last generation, and people don't read history books or watch history documentaries.

With that down, why are you so full of shit?

Yes, in 1970 all Americans became druggies and rioters, not.  Well, I didn't.  I don't forget history ... I accepted the Santayana warning.  Maybe one should do less bing watching of Game of Thrones?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.