George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Netflix put an Oscar-winning documentary on the African American experience in America on YouTube for free, "13th", which focuses on the judicial system and the prison industry and how they have exploited the community for a variety of reasons... but one large one is making sure that African Americans become a commodity and a labour resource rather than actual human beings.

I haven't quite finished it yet, but it talks about from the late 1800s that, since the 13th amendment still protects slavery if it's punishment for a crime, white men would arrest African Americans to put them right back to work and goes all the way up to the modern system where corporations and politicians work together to make America the country that houses a quarter of the world's inmates.

One striking quote from it for me was, "We have a criminal justice system that treats you better if your rich and guilty than if your poor and innocent". It's a quote we all inherently know, but to here it vocalized is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfcq5pF8u8&t=2254s
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

The pig who shoved that 75 year old man to the ground in Buffalo, posing the day before in "solidarity" with the protesters.

It happened in Buffalo, it happened in Houston, it happened in Austin, it happened in Atlanta, it happened in Philly, it happened in the Twin Cities, it happens in LA, Portland, Seattle, New York, etc. ... the cops will bow, pray and show solidarity with the protesters... then as soon as they get their feel good photos, they start cracking skulls and gassing them.

Fuck 12, ACAB.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I would suggest that the "prison industry" is real.  I would suggest people avoid joining that work force ;-)  Though today you can get more skills than just making license plates.

If I were a policeman, like my nephew, and you got in my face, I would use my old wooden baton on you.  Tazer is too technical.  Your civil rights don't mean shit to me.

The National Guard has been federalized before, by President Eisenhower, to let Black kids in the Little Rock HS in 1957, when the Arkansas governor used the National Guard to prevent integration.  Basically, if a governor doesn't do his job with the National Guard, then the National Guard belongs to the President as CinC.  Again, to deal with a local Democrat administration ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Quote from: Shiranu on June 06, 2020, 04:53:14 PM
The pig who shoved that 75 year old man to the ground in Buffalo, posing the day before in "solidarity" with the protesters.

It happened in Buffalo, it happened in Houston, it happened in Austin, it happened in Atlanta, it happened in Philly, it happened in the Twin Cities, it happens in LA, Portland, Seattle, New York, etc. ... the cops will bow, pray and show solidarity with the protesters... then as soon as they get their feel good photos, they start cracking skulls and gassing them.

Fuck 12, ACAB.

Some of those that work forces......

Shiranu

In 35 states, it is perfectly legal for cops to rape their detainees and claim "it was consensual" to avoid any legal repercussions. An example of how that could go wrong. While New York apparently fixed this loophole, the rest cannot be said for the majority of states in the union.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/30/nypd-detectives-accused-raping-teen-wont-get-jail-time/2166015001/

QuoteThe victim was driving with two friends when Martins and Hall â€" who were not in uniform â€" pulled her over and found marijuana and Klonopin pills. After they detained her, according to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office, “the woman had sexual intercourse with Martins and performed a sex act on Hall,” before releasing her without an arrest.

DNA was later obtained from the victim that matched both men.

New York law already prohibits sex between prison guards and inmates. The policy, prior to the incident, didn’t apply to officers and those in their custody.

Baruch

The blood banks assume, if you have been incarcerated for 72 or more hours, you have been raped by the fellow detainees.  This is mostly male on male rape, mostly by the detainees, not the cops.  Of course the cops shouldn't rape you.  But the Dems support all criminals.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

A Predator drone was deployed on the Minneapolis protest (which btw, is illegal for obvious reasons)

The conservatives must hate this Big Government overreach.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 07, 2020, 11:12:57 AM
A Predator drone was deployed on the Minneapolis protest (which btw, is illegal for obvious reasons)

Can't speak for conservatives.  But speaking as a Stalinist, y'all will love building roads in Alaska above the Arctic Circle.  No winter clothing required.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

It's only bad when the other guys do it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

They're starting to, although almost certainly not for 'big government' reasons.  If this polling is accurateâ€"17% of Republicans plan voting for Biden, only 63% currently commit to voting for the Orange Disaster Areaâ€"these aren't merely troubling numbers for the Oval Orifice, they're positively cataclysmic.  Given the razor-thin path that saddled us with Shithead in 2016, anything that causes Republican defections or depresses Republican turnout is a political death sentence.

We're probably only one or two bad (for them) polling cycles away from Senate Republicans starting to openly defy him. Right now, all the endangered Republican senators (Collins-ME, McSally-AZ, Gardner-CO and Tillis-NC) are running anywhere from 'behind' to 'way behind' their Democratic challengers, and Montana's race is too close to call, but polling leans very gently in the direction of Democratic Governor Bullock right now.  Under that scenario, even the likely loss of Jones in Alabama means a 51-49 Democratic Senate.  I don't see any other obvious targets.

Alaska's Murkowski has already intimated that Republican Senators may take the opportunity of the Mattis statement to distance themselves from the dumpster fire on Pennsylvania Avenue, and has said she is "struggling" with supporting him further, and so have many of her colleagues on her side of the aisle.

This advice may be too late to save Collins, McSally, Gardner and Tillis.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

My neck of the woods.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1267295157885505537

I'm not out there, but if I were, I have no doubt that the authorities charged with my safety would be my primary threat.

And if you threaten to sue, that's a second round of abuse.

Hydra009

Also, a judge apparently suspended habeaus corpus in NYC, allowing police to hold people for longer than 24 hours without charge.  There's a reason that's in the constitution.  It's so we don't have people "disappear" in custody like in authoritarian regimes.

Hydra009

SGOS

WTF??  A false flag from the trumpanits?

Sal1981

A 4 year old article that has become relevant from PBS:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/fbi-white-supremacists-in-law-enforcement

Quote“Many people in these communities of color feel they have been the subject of police violence for decades. And when an officer engages in conduct that adds or enhances that divide, they are ultimately jeopardizing the integrity of their agencies and putting their fellow officers in danger.”