George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteOK. Those are cops. So basically they rely on the systematic, institutional racism. What about civillians? Is it just me, don't you think there must be something about this that we don't see. Is it that simple? They just think it is not going to happen to them?

Same thing. Cops aren't special, they just have more power to abuse systematic and institutional racism.

Racism is so casual and institutional here that the overwhelming majority don't even realise when their actions are racist, and while Cooper's situation was exceptionally aware of the privilege she had vs the disadvantage the African American man had, I genuinely don't think it crossed her mind that her actions were racist.

Casual racism, at least here in the South (and I don't believe the North is really any better, they just know how to hide it or pretend it doesn't exist) is something that often easily finds it's way in even every-day small talk. It's in our media 24/7 in how African Americans are portrayed in media, both through their under-representation and then many of their characters been shown as caricatures and stereotypes rather than beings with agency and stories to tell. It's in how African American art is presented to white America; we are only exposed to things like "gangster" music (pushed by white label companies) while African American musicians who have stories to tell of their personal experiences, of love, hope, struggle, despair, of the African American experience or the simple human experience are almost never promoted or shared within our community. This one is particularly personal to me as a musician, especially since so much of the music I consume and compose owes it's very existence to the African American musical tradition.

We are only ever shown the worse of the African American community... so for those who never are exposed to the wider range of their art, who never talk with and interact with African Americans don't understand what it means to be an African American and more importantly only view them as a stereotype rather than just human beings with stories and souls just like our own.

When you view people in that way, you don't realise that entire mindset is racist... and so when you say or do something racist, you don't even realise it's wrong. It's (generally) not something meant to be mean, it's just something you are genuinely ignorant about and don't realise you are doing. You don't fear what you are completely oblivious to.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

When considering that there is a virus still floating around out there, one that can kill people be they vulnerable be they elderly, and the thousands of people who have already died of this disease, on top of all that, the lockdown that has separated families and continue to keep families separated, even when people who have the disease are dying in hospitals and their families can't go to visit them, that fact these mass protests and riots ignore all this, forget all the hard work medical health services have done and the sacrifices they made to try and get everything back to normal.

But who cares about that, gotta start a riot, who gives a fuck if people are dying from this thing, let's come out and protest, even in countries where the reason for the protests didn't happen.

Would be such a shame if they all died to Corona.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote... that fact these mass protests and riots ignore all this, forget all the hard work medical health services have done and the sacrifices they made to try and get everything back to normal.

But who cares about that, gotta start a riot, who gives a fuck if people are dying from this thing, let's come out and protest, even in countries where the reason for the protests didn't happen.

They don't ignore all that, that's just how fucking bad it is here. People are aware of these things, and they STILL go out in protest because even during the middle of a pandemic African Americans are murdered like stray dogs in the street by the people that are suppose to protect them.

Jesus christ dude.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 03, 2020, 06:04:15 PM
They don't ignore all that, that's just how fucking bad it is here. People are aware of these things, and they STILL go out in protest because even during the middle of a pandemic African Americans are murdered like stray dogs in the street by the people that are suppose to protect them.

Jesus christ dude.

"That's how bad it is here" good, the excuses start fresh.

And how many more african Americans will die to this disease because protestors thought this was more important then containing a virus?

What's even more hilarious then this hypocrisy, the countries having these protests other then america, which have very very few deaths of black people compared to america by police, these protests in those countries will kill more black people with spreading this disease then any cop in them ever did.

Holy fucking Cthulhu dude.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 03, 2020, 06:04:15 PM

Jesus christ dude.

White people are bullet proof and immortal.  No wonder we are special ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 06:12:49 PM

And how many more african Americans will die to this disease because protestors thought this was more important then containing a virus?

What's even more hilarious then this hypocrisy, the countries having these protests other then america, which have very very few deaths of black people compared to america by police, these protests in those countries will kill more black people with spreading this disease then any cop in them ever did.

Non-Americans hate Americans.  We should have fed the Entente to the Central Powers.  Fed the Allies to the Axis.  Fed the non-Communist countries to the Communists.  I wouldn't care for a single American dog, to die for the freedom of any foreigner (not that was the real reason anyway).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote"That's how bad it is here" good, the excuses start fresh.

You are a piece of shit.

The fact that you think state sanctioned execution of African Americans is some "excuse" for your imaginary left-boogieman...

You have not ONCE indicated even the remotest of understanding of American culture, and yet you always want to bust in here and tell us that you know more about America than actual Americans do. It's annoying as fuck on a good day, but when it comes to a topic like this it's down right pathetic and shows an absolute lack of any moral character.

Edit: And before you say it, yes I did use to make comments about European affairs, but you will notice it's been a few years since I have because I realised it's annoying as fuck, and when I do I do my best to do as much research on it as possible.

Just know those conservatives you are always sucking up to will one day turn on you, and it won't be pretty. I just hope Scotland has better safeguards in place to avoid radicals taking over than we do.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 05:25:53 PM
When considering that there is a virus still floating around out there, one that can kill people be they vulnerable be they elderly, and the thousands of people who have already died of this disease, on top of all that, the lockdown that has separated families and continue to keep families separated, even when people who have the disease are dying in hospitals and their families can't go to visit them, that fact these mass protests and riots ignore all this, forget all the hard work medical health services have done and the sacrifices they made to try and get everything back to normal.

BINGO!!!

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Munch, tone down your bullshit. People are under serious stress and fear for their future. Nobody has to put up with your masturbation.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 03, 2020, 06:48:11 PM
Munch, tone down your bullshit. People are under serious stress and fear for their future. Nobody has to put up with your masturbation.

Especially because he doesn't even fucking live here.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 06:12:49 PM

I think I will rename you Shallow Hal.  You just don't get it, do you.  Blacks are ALREADY  succumbing to the virus at 2 to 3 times the rate as whites.  No matter how bad the virus will get, it will pass.  From the inception of this country, racism has not passed and it appears it will not pass without a fight.  White christianity has put a white, patriarchal, authoritarian stamp on this society.  It will take huge efforts to reverse those trends.   I am NOT for destruction of private property.  Destroying a Target or Walmart will not accomplish anything.  But by showing up in numbers and defying trump cerfews or calls for military action, will.  Confronting the police, where they need to be confronted will gain attention, as well.  Something has to be done.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 05:25:53 PMeven in countries where the reason for the protests didn't happen.

The protests aren't about Floyd. He was just the catalyst. The problem is systemic racism, especially in the justice system, which is not unique to America. I don't know what it's like where you are, and I don't presume to understand countries I've never lived in (*clears throat*), but racism is pretty universal. Maybe it's worse here in the supposed "melting pot," but I can't say.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 05:25:53 PM

Quick question (mostly to gauge your level of awareness): why do you think the people at the protests are wearing masks?

drunkenshoe

The UK is a far more racist country than the US. Generally all Europe is. And in my opinion, they 'know' that perfectly well. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp