George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2020, 08:36:33 PM
peoples houses seem less targeted by rioters then establishments like shops and other public buildings. Of course your get opportunists in any situation like this. hopefully their safe and stocked up on food.
They live in a relatively safe neighborhood, and this is unusual for them.  It's just spooky to have this stuff going on so close by.  They don't need to go to the store, and they have been good about staying home.  The malls are closed, but scheduled to reopen tomorrow June 1st as part of the national grand opening and victory over the virus.  (According to Trump's son in law, opening business is a victory over the virus).  See, it's just that easy to end a pandemic.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on May 31, 2020, 08:48:19 PM
They live in a relatively safe neighborhood, and this is unusual for them.  It's just spooky to have this stuff going on so close by.  They don't need to go to the store, and they have been good about staying home.  The malls are closed, but scheduled to reopen tomorrow June 1st as part of the national grand opening and victory over the virus.  (According to Trump's son in law, opening business is a victory over the virus).  See, it's just that easy to end a pandemic.

I hope your family has the same common sense my brother and sister in laws using, they are ignoring the schools requests to send kids back from tomorrow and might not do so until September.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2020, 08:58:36 PM
I hope your family has the same common sense my brother and sister in laws using, they are ignoring the schools requests to send kids back from tomorrow and might not do so until September.
They don't have kids, but they plan to keep up with guidelines for personal safety as Chicago begins to "reopen."  If they had kids they would keep them home too.  They take the pandemic seriously.

Jason Harvestdancer

There's a difference between a protest, even a violent protest, and a riot.  Protests have a particular focus.  Riots are chaos.

I do support those who are angry over the George Floyd murder.  That really is the only word for it.  According to Findlaw's murder definitions, it is my opinion that this is either 2nd or 3rd degree murder.  If person A swings a shovel at the head of person B without intent to kill, but knows that his action has the potential to kill, and person B dies, it is indeed some form of murder other than 1st degree murder.

When the protestors burned the police precinct station, I won't say I supported it (because I don't want anyone to quote me on that) but I can say that they were choosing a more legitimate target than say, the Target.

One of the problems with protests is all the opportunists who show up for the riot.  The people wanting justice are probably not the same one stealing flat screen TVs.  Protestors should be wary and say "we need to police our own protest and keep out the bad actors".  It may seem ironic, but if you want to protest the police you need to police your protest.  One example is Umbrella Man.  The protestors are calling him an undercover cop.  The cops are calling him a protestor.

The pallet of bricks delivered outside a Dallas courthouse was such an obvious trap that it makes me feel good that the protestors didn't fall for it.  I am proud of those protestors.

The governor of Minnesota says there are a lot of outside agitators ranging from the drug cartels to even the Russians.  Take your meds and you'll stop seeing Russians hiding in your closet.  Outside agitators, sure.  Not those sinister Russians who have been running everything since 2015.  However, there are other more realistic accusations of outside agitators to consider.

Given that antifa is mostly upper-middle class young white people, how hard is it for white supremacists to infiltrate?  Probably pretty easy, I wouldn't know.  But the white people dressed in masks are being accused of being both antifa and fascists.  They're also accused of being under cover police.  Umbrella man is one such accusation.  The protestors accuse him of being a cop.  The police accuse him of being a protestor.

After letting the nation go to ruin the last two months by shutting down the economy, putting people out of work, and confining people to their homes, this one murder was simply throwing a lit match onto a pile of gasoline soaked rags covering a barrel of gunpowder with a stick of dynamite inside it.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Munch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 31, 2020, 10:00:24 PM
There's a difference between a protest, even a violent protest, and a riot.  Protests have a particular focus.  Riots are chaos.

I do support those who are angry over the George Floyd murder.  That really is the only word for it.  According to Findlaw's murder definitions, it is my opinion that this is either 2nd or 3rd degree murder.  If person A swings a shovel at the head of person B without intent to kill, but knows that his action has the potential to kill, and person B dies, it is indeed some form of murder other than 1st degree murder.

When the protestors burned the police precinct station, I won't say I supported it (because I don't want anyone to quote me on that) but I can say that they were choosing a more legitimate target than say, the Target.

One of the problems with protests is all the opportunists who show up for the riot.  The people wanting justice are probably not the same one stealing flat screen TVs.  Protestors should be wary and say "we need to police our own protest and keep out the bad actors".  It may seem ironic, but if you want to protest the police you need to police your protest.  One example is Umbrella Man.  The protestors are calling him an undercover cop.  The cops are calling him a protestor.

The pallet of bricks delivered outside a Dallas courthouse was such an obvious trap that it makes me feel good that the protestors didn't fall for it.  I am proud of those protestors.

The governor of Minnesota says there are a lot of outside agitators ranging from the drug cartels to even the Russians.  Take your meds and you'll stop seeing Russians hiding in your closet.  Outside agitators, sure.  Not those sinister Russians who have been running everything since 2015.  However, there are other more realistic accusations of outside agitators to consider.

Given that antifa is mostly upper-middle class young white people, how hard is it for white supremacists to infiltrate?  Probably pretty easy, I wouldn't know.  But the white people dressed in masks are being accused of being both antifa and fascists.  They're also accused of being under cover police.  Umbrella man is one such accusation.  The protestors accuse him of being a cop.  The police accuse him of being a protestor.

After letting the nation go to ruin the last two months by shutting down the economy, putting people out of work, and confining people to their homes, this one murder was simply throwing a lit match onto a pile of gasoline soaked rags covering a barrel of gunpowder with a stick of dynamite inside it.

mhmm. It wouldn't have been as bad as this if the tension caused by lockdowns didn't inflame it. There are bound to be opportunists out there just for the anarchy, but all they need to do is set off a spark in those gearing for a riot to set them off.

Groups like BLM and those identifying as antifa is infested with these kinds of people, and they ultimately ruin whatever message groups wanted to make because when their burning down shops and destroying society, the rest of society will see these actions as anything but a positive movement.

And really, with trump as leader, does anyone seriously think these actions, even with destruction of property and drain on public services, that he'd stop and take anything their doing serious, or towards the changes they want?

Still, at least they all live in somewhere like america, wouldn't be able to even dream of doing something like this in china.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9LWpbUgm8&t=0s

guy makes a very grounded point here. The LA riots that happened decades ago, when people did just what there doing here today, it didn't change anything for the better, it didn't change the law of the land, and maybe even made it worse in the long run, because look at where everything is today.

Its like what happened with the stonewall riots. It wasn't the riots themselves that brought change to the LGBT community, it was the actions taken after the riots that pushed for laws to eventually be changed. If these riots here today were to create that push to get the government to listen to people more then it would serve a purpose, however as this didn't happen after the LA riots its unlikely to happen this time round either.

You can't change a society by burning it down, you need to be able to push and pressure a government to listen to those changes.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2020, 10:29:27 PMYou can't change a society by burning it down, you need to be able to push and pressure a government to listen to those changes.
Like nonviolent protest?

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on May 31, 2020, 04:39:23 PM
WHAT THE FUCK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!? Are you fucking serious?

I am very serious.  I remember the Watts riots as a boy.  The only time I saw my father speak racist terms.  We were 10 miles away.

After growing up, I could see how wrong the rioters were.  How wrong the drug addicts were.  How wrong the acid rock fans were.  How wrong the group sex fans were.  How wrong the college protesters were.  The 1960s were psycho on many levels.  There are grievances always.  But the point is ...

What is the reason I can justify the sociopathic behavior my Id wants me to do?  Ask Forbidden Planet.  We are very clever coming up with justifications, whether one is a cop or a civilian.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 31, 2020, 08:08:27 PM
Why, do you think, George Floyd was killed?

It is because something provocative must have happened to spark the protests.

He is among others who was victimized for some goal worth superior than their life!.. Believe it or not, this is so.

It is not humane, I know.

Americans think that anything other than CNN narrative is conspiracy theory by Trump.  I suspect Turks are equally blind to the nuances.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2020, 03:35:20 PM
I don't get it. In america can say for sure theres a purpose to the violent protests because of the broken system there. But here, in the uk, there isn't that kind police brutality, the kind of level america has.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

I don't know what the aim is with these ones in london, if its to call for the uk to tell america to clean up its act, or if the outrage has pushed some delusion that non-white people have it as bad here as in america.

You have Pakistani rapists raping your girls.  Your cops turn a blind eye, because they are accomplices!  They use the Pakistanis as soldiers to rob, rape and kill Englishmen.  The idea that GB isn't violent, that your police are pro-citizen, is blindness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 31, 2020, 08:44:02 PM
I'm not a coroner, but I'm pretty sure it was from a cop slamming their weight on his neck.

Perhaps.  And Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman ... because the TV told me so.

If we don't need cops, don't need autopsies, don't need fair trial ... lets just kill everyone!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 31, 2020, 10:46:16 PM
Like nonviolent protest?

You can always get drunk if you are unhappy.  If you don't like your politician, and won't unseat them by legal means, then you are a criminal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Serving and protecting in Kansas City