George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 26, 2020, 06:03:20 PM
2nd Amendment supporters aren't the problem, I would argue that's just a point repubs have co-opted.

There is a whole narrative, that after Watergate, the S Democrats took over the Republican party.  I am not sure how true that is.  Usually narratives are promoted by people with something nefarious to gain.  Yes, at that time also, a time of Revolution, the college kids of the 60s took over the Democrat party (starting with the McGovern campaign) ... really?  Is that so?  I don't see Carter or Clinton or Obama being all that woke.  Aren't the Bernie Bros etc just useful plantation drones for the Democrats, who are still what they have always been?  Did the Republicans, having been taken over by Bill Jim Bob .. stop supporting upstate millionaires?  How to overcome a century of MSM lies?  Started by the propaganda techniques of Sigmund Freud's nephew?  If one is paranoid about S White folks, then it doesn't matter where they are seen to politically domicile, you have to demonize them?  Aren't they just a shiny bauble to distract the liberal masses with MSM induced nightmares?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

89,000 firearms were sold in the Minneapolis area in the last month.  So this is how you suppress vigilantism on the Right?  The Left are crisis actors and useful idiots ... the CIA/FBI are using you to create a Right-wing backlash.  For whatever devious plans the Deep State has.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"The One Statue That Remains Untouched: Vladimir Lenin" ... comrades in Seattle

"Students Are Demanding A Professor Be Fired For Opposing Slavery" ... Evergreen State strikes again ... Occupy ... the Dean's Office!  Professor opposes slavery because it violates Libertarianism ... not because it is immoral.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I recently read a book on antiracism where the author argued that to be racist is an assessment of action, not identity or sentiment. When someone acts or speaks in a way that puts one racial group above another or supports policies that create racial inequity, that's racist, and when someone acts or speaks in a way that indicates there is nothing wrong with any of the racial groups or supports policies that create racial equity, that's antiracist. When someone says they are "not racist" it is typically an expression of sentiment, not an assessment of action. For example, white supremacists often say they are not racist. It's like someone saying they are a good person when their actions don't indicate they are empathetic or prosocial. By this definition, anyone can be racist.

https://youtu.be/XcP2M1mtkyA

I confess I'm not very good at being antiracist. My primary strategy for dealing with people I don't care for, for whatever reason, is to avoid them. I speak up at work and with family because they are difficult to avoid, in fact a had a long conversation yesterday with my younger brother regarding the racial protests. With acquaintances or strangers, I avoid interaction.

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 27, 2020, 08:41:07 AM

I confess I'm not very good at being antiracist. My primary strategy for dealing with people I don't care for, for whatever reason, is to avoid them. I speak up at work and with family because they are difficult to avoid, in fact a had a long conversation yesterday with my younger brother regarding the racial protests. With acquaintances or strangers, I avoid interaction.
Oh, I don't know........I think it is a matter of quality and not quantity.  I don't think a person needs to become crusader rabbit, but to become aware of how we are acting when around others.  Actually, I think the biggest problem people of color/minorities have is built into the systems of the govt.  Changing those will be a long process; one I hope will actually come to pass.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Equity?  Sorry, Andorrans are inferior to Terrans ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Those cops in NC who were talking about the coming race war and couldn't wait to start the slaughter all said they're not racist...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 27, 2020, 06:36:33 PM
Those cops in NC who were talking about the coming race war and couldn't wait to start the slaughter all said they're not racist...

Takes two to Tango, even in Argentina, eh Presidente Juan Peron?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Ken Burns, who might know a thing or two about American history, believes that the statues represent mythology... not history.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Miami officer kneels on pregnant woman's neck, tasers her multiple times in the stomach (knowing full well what he is doing), leading to her miscarrying. The pro-life crowd seems oddly quiet. Charged with battery and not murder though...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 05:24:12 PM
Ken Burns, who might know a thing or two about American history, believes that the statues represent mythology... not history.

In this case, Ken Burns is wrong.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 06:54:04 PM
Miami officer kneels on pregnant woman's neck, tasers her multiple times in the stomach (knowing full well what he is doing), leading to her miscarrying. The pro-life crowd seems oddly quiet. Charged with battery and not murder though...

Much of the pro-life crowd is also pro-death penalty.  Basically, life is sacred only up until you're born, then fuck you.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2020, 07:40:32 PM
Much of the pro-life crowd is also pro-death penalty.  Basically, life is sacred only up until you're born, then fuck you.

They also are big fans of the Second Amendment, because they want to be prepared to defend themselves from a tyrannical government. ...And yet the military is beyond reproach. If you deny that every single veteran is a hero, then fuck you and get out, you unpatriotic bastard! And of course, they extend the same logic to the police. You're not allowed to criticize the police, even while they're abusing their power on the public, because they're friends with good policemen. Conservatives are just hypocrites by nature.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Leaked documents show that cops exaggerated threats in order to escalate violence

QuoteThe fears stoked by the warnings appear to have set the stage for the police’s escalating, violent response to the protests, including the widespread use of tear gas, percussion grenades, and rubber bullets, sometimes fired at close range.

Quotethey also suggest a tendency to categorize standard protest behavior as a threat to police.

QuoteUnjustified fear has long played into abuse in policing. “Since they know that they are hated, they are always afraid,” James Baldwin wrote of the police in The Nation in 1966. “One cannot possibly arrive at a more surefire formula for cruelty.” According to Dan O’Flaherty and Rajiv Sethi’s book “Shadows of Doubt: Stereotypes, Crime, and the Pursuit of Justice,” undue security service fears based on errant information have historically contributed to police killing and injuring civilians.
Fear leads to hate, hate leads to violence.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 05:24:12 PM

All history is propaganda.  All propaganda should be Marxist ... of course.  Or you could learn to appreciate mythology (fiction from people you don't approve of vs those you do) and stop thinking that humans know anything real at all (emphasis on know).  The status of reality is independent of whether any monkey people actually know anything, we can assume.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.