News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's it like to be dead?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, May 15, 2020, 02:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2020, 06:56:48 PM
Yeah, why fear something you can never experience?

Let me shoot you in the head (sarcasm) and you can give us a report ;-(

A fish can never experience flying (like a bird), so flying must be a conspiracy theory.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 20, 2020, 03:24:04 AM
How about having a nose itch you can't scratch? ;-)
Yeah, like Jesus did when he was hanging on the cross.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 20, 2020, 12:36:31 PM
Yeah, like Jesus did when he was hanging on the cross.

Yes, the Gospels didn't emphasize that enough.  Being G-d's Only Son he could have nagged the Romans with ... "It will be 1500 more years before pasta and marinara sauce are invented.  Losers!"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 21, 2020, 05:25:36 PM
It's very boring.

Old joke .. guy was visited by an angel.  The angel said, I will show you Heaven and Hell.  You get to choose.  He visited Heaven and it was a bunch of old people playing cards and such.  He visited Hell and it was a bunch of party goers.  So he chooses Hell.  He gets to Hell, and he is in boiling lava.  He asks the angel, what gives, I saw a much better Hell!  Angel replies ... that was the beta version ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on May 20, 2020, 11:20:40 AM
None really come back to describe it.  So there is no empirical evidence separate from ... it is rational, in materialism, to say dead is dead.  But rationality is bogus, and so is materialism.  They are just some of the many mad ravings of monkeys ... theology, philosophy are the products of depraved psychology.

It is rational to say dead is dead, because that is all we have evidence for. As soon as you, or any other person claiming there is a non material realm or reality, can provide anything beyond personal conjecture, ancient texts, etc, maybe you can gain some traction.

Just to put it into perspective, please provide an example of one thing that was once an unknown, that was attributed to the non material, that when the actual explanation was found, it turned out to be the non material. Please let me know how one would go about discovering the non material, within your worldview?

Yes, we all presuppose that rationality is rational. After all, it continues to work. So, at least there is some amount of evidence that is more than just ravings or mad monkeys. But theists and non materialists also presuppose some other non material reality tacked on to their presupposition that rationality is rational. 

So, please tell me what is your justification that the non material exists?
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

GSOgymrat

Baruch

Sam Harris - secular Buddhist, knows everything ;-)

The question I have, is there life during life, most people I know might as well be dead ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I was dead for billions of years - you'd think I'd be able to remember some of that immense time, but I developed amnesia as soon as I was born.

;-)
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2020, 03:54:17 PM
I was dead for billions of years - you'd think I'd be able to remember some of that immense time, but I developed amnesia as soon as I was born.

;-)

A joke, since it contradicts your basic POV, which is that there can be no pre-life or post-life.  In folk theology, you knew everything when you were inside your mother (they are all Karens and you were a part of her), but when you are born, the dimple between your nose and mouth is formed where an angel touches you, and that is what causes your amnesia.  Folk theology frequently contradicts the authoritative kind.  In the movie Baby Geniuses, it takes a bit of time after birth before you forget everything, hence you are as genius as your mother for a little while ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on December 21, 2020, 04:47:35 PM
Dreamless sleep

A metaphor.  When taken literally it is contradictory, since when you are asleep, dreamless or not, you are still alive.  Death means not alive.  In fact most of your "life" happens unconsciously, even when you are awake.  Consciousness is a fairly ridiculous epiphenomenon compared to the unconscious ;-)  In daily Jewish prayer, you thank G-d when you awake, for resurrecting you.  On that basis, Jesus was in a coma.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2020, 09:41:41 PM
What's it like to be a bat?

Magic School Bus answered lots of science questions like that.  Thru some science and some imagination, mostly imagination.  What is it like to be an old bat?  Nancy Pelosi ;-)

"I used to be a Nihilist but it was absolutely meaningless" ... bwahaha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.