News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's it like to be dead?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, May 15, 2020, 02:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2020, 01:18:21 PM
I've shot expert with rifles (starting with the M-14) but never with pistols.
When I was with the Deserter Apprehension Program we had to fly armed once in a while. So we had to qualify with that POS revolver. I had grown up with a Marine mentor so I knew the tricks for qualifying. With the .38 you score as much as you can at the five foot range and pray the rest of the rounds in as the range increases.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2020, 01:29:35 PM
When I was with the Deserter Apprehension Program we had to fly armed once in a while. So we had to qualify with that POS revolver. I had grown up with a Marine mentor so I knew the tricks for qualifying. With the .38 you score as much as you can at the five foot range and pray the rest of the rounds in as the range increases.
Yeah, and if all else fails just throw your pistol at the target.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2020, 04:34:01 PM
Yeah, and if all else fails just throw your pistol at the target.
My own plan was to throw the Chief's Special and pull the 9mm. Fifteen in the clip and one up the pipe.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2020, 04:45:24 PM
My own plan was to throw the Chief's Special and pull the 9mm. Fifteen in the clip and one up the pipe.
In hindsight, my favorite weapon was the M-14.  Very accurate, great distance, lots of power and it would work even dumped in the mud.  But then, I never fired the weapon in (or even close to) combat.  Might have picked a different weapon then.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2020, 10:57:02 PM
In hindsight, my favorite weapon was the M-14.  Very accurate, great distance, lots of power and it would work even dumped in the mud.  But then, I never fired the weapon in (or even close to) combat.  Might have picked a different weapon then.
I used to swing twin fifties in a power tub. Lethal at four miles. (No, not aimed, just beating the ground to separate the fox from the hens.)
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 18, 2020, 07:35:21 AM
I used to swing twin fifties in a power tub. Lethal at four miles. (No, not aimed, just beating the ground to separate the fox from the hens.)
While in the NG, I did get to fire a couple of hundred rounds of a fifty, on a range, of course.  Very effective weapon!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 18, 2020, 09:03:14 AM
While in the NG, I did get to fire a couple of hundred rounds of a fifty, on a range, of course.  Very effective weapon!
When I got my Masters some friends got me a present. It was a M2 .50 cal. Browning heavy machine gun. According to the serial numbers it had served in Vietnam at some point. The possibility exists that it was one of my guns.

I have the mg on long term loan to a certain state's emergency reaction team. Just in case they have to shoot a car in half or something. They visit various areas around the state each year for "Fam Fire Day". The last one was a few miles from here, hard by a state prison. They always invite me, of course. Local LEOs get some trigger time with a small cannon and the prisoners get to hear a heavy machine gun being operated by the guards. The message is clear.
PZ Myers

Simon Moon

Quote from: twozerozeroonefive on May 15, 2020, 02:51:38 AM
I've heard that it's like a permanent deep sleep with no dreams. If that's true, then that's scary.

Maybe it's sort of like not being born yet (pre-life)?

Really hope there's something after this.

How have you heard it's like permanent deep sleep?
When have you ever talked to someone that has actually returned from the dead? There sure are plenty of claimed Near death experiences, but those are "NEAR" death,

From what I can tell, it's not like anything to be dead, since there is no mind to have an experience of being dead. Everything that is me, ceases to exist when I die, since there is no operating brain to create the person that is me.

As Mark Twain might have said, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unbeliever

Yeah, why fear something you can never experience?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2020, 06:56:48 PM
Yeah, why fear something you can never experience?

Depends on how you define death.  Some people are alive, yet dead (to the world) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Some are dead from the neck up.
PZ Myers

SGOS

What I fear about death is that when some creepy crawly thing is on my face, I can't brush it off.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2020, 10:22:14 PM
What I fear about death is that when some creepy crawly thing is on my face, I can't brush it off.

How about having a nose itch you can't scratch? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 20, 2020, 03:24:04 AM
How about having a nose itch you can't scratch? ;-)
"Severe scrotal irritation" for the win.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on May 19, 2020, 05:04:12 PM
How have you heard it's like permanent deep sleep?
When have you ever talked to someone that has actually returned from the dead? There sure are plenty of claimed Near death experiences, but those are "NEAR" death,

From what I can tell, it's not like anything to be dead, since there is no mind to have an experience of being dead. Everything that is me, ceases to exist when I die, since there is no operating brain to create the person that is me.

As Mark Twain might have said, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

None really come back to describe it.  So there is no empirical evidence separate from ... it is rational, in materialism, to say dead is dead.  But rationality is bogus, and so is materialism.  They are just some of the many mad ravings of monkeys ... theology, philosophy are the products of depraved psychology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.