News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's it like to be dead?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, May 15, 2020, 02:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2020, 03:44:35 PM
I left Vietnam in a medically induced coma. They woke me up in the PI to see if it was worth sending me back to the States. Took a C130 to California where I woke up two weeks after we landed. All this according to my records. I was effectively dead for most of this period. Didn't bother me much.

Dreamless sleep appears necessary for health.  This was a healing trance.  Whenever I was put under for an operation, it was like that for me too.  Just a shorter period.  But that still isn't total lack of brain activity.  The nervous system is in deep maintenance mode.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Think of how it was like for you for the last 13.8 billion years.  You had no worries, no pain, and no one was pissing you off or taking your stuff.  The last 50 years (or however long you have been alive) is an anomaly.  You are no more than a cosmic fart.  Your default state was the last 13.8 billion years.  When your life ends you will return to the default state for another 13.8 or the end of the universe, whatever is longer.  And then the default state will be another cosmic fart, replaced by an even greater nothing.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 15, 2020, 09:26:33 PM
Think of how it was like for you for the last 13.8 billion years.  You had no worries, no pain, and no one was pissing you off or taking your stuff.  The last 50 years (or however long you have been alive) is an anomaly.  You are no more than a cosmic fart.  Your default state was the last 13.8 billion years.  When your life ends you will return to the default state for another 13.8 or the end of the universe, whatever is longer.  And then the default state will be another cosmic fart, replaced by an even greater nothing.

You get what you pay for.  You didn't pay for your birth, your parents did.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

in context, we still live longer then most other creatures on this sphere we call a home, so if we consider time scale an issue they have even less of a mark.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 15, 2020, 10:01:59 PM
in context, we still live longer then most other creatures on this sphere we call a home, so if we consider time scale an issue they have even less of a mark.

Tell that to the dominant life form, viruses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

The estimated time for heat death of the universe to occur is in 10^100 years, which is a very freaking long time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 16, 2020, 01:08:58 AM
The estimated time for heat death of the universe to occur is in 10^100 years, which is a very freaking long time.
And the last sound anyone will hear is "Congratulations! You are eligible for a Master Card or Visa!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 16, 2020, 01:08:58 AM

Definitely Hell for the impatient ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

The last sound I'll probably hear is my tinnitis.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 16, 2020, 12:21:28 PM

Yeah, I probably have a low grade hum too.  Can you hum a few bars for us? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 16, 2020, 12:21:28 PM
Yeah, I hear you--literally.  My wife asks me questions like, 'Don't you hear those crickets?'  I reply that I do, but I hear them ALL the time.  That was a gift from my wonderful Uncle Sam.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 16, 2020, 01:13:02 PM
Yeah, I hear you--literally.  My wife asks me questions like, 'Don't you hear those crickets?'  I reply that I do, but I hear them ALL the time.  That was a gift from my wonderful Uncle Sam.

So you weren't a drummer in a rock band directly next to the giant speakers?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 16, 2020, 01:17:40 PM
So you weren't a drummer in a rock band directly next to the giant speakers?
Yeah, I was in Uncle Sam's Band--well, sort of, for I got the condition in a 'rock and roll' fashion.  The LT, took a handful of us agents to the field so we could (we had to) record fire with our pistols (if you want to call them that--stub-nosed 38's).  So, 50 rounds of rock and roll and 50 for record fire.  Except the firing range was an old one without vents at each end and he did not bring ear plugs--used cigarette butts, instead.  Couldn't hear the phone on my desk for a week--but now I get to hear it all the time. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

I shot expert with a Chief's Special.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2020, 12:25:48 PM
I shot expert with a Chief's Special.
I've shot expert with rifles (starting with the M-14) but never with pistols.