News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

On so-called ''Miracles''...

Started by Paolo, May 06, 2020, 02:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 09, 2020, 01:00:36 AM
Right.  And conveniently, the "worldview" defense can be used for anything and everything.  Disease is caused by demons.  2 + 2 = 5.  The world is a mote in a giant's eye.  All are equally valid worldviews which should be afforded respect simply because some people believe them.  Wouldn't want to be intolerant, right?
Why is it bad to be intolerant? It depends what it is you're intolerant against.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 09, 2020, 12:39:39 AM
is it not a leap in logic to say that just because something is unknown that it must be supernatural?
The argument from ignorance is pretty much what all religious thinking centers around.  It is so old and so common that it is nothing less than boring.  It is stupid and self righteous.  It is hubris.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 09, 2020, 04:53:13 AM
Why is it bad to be intolerant? It depends what it is you're intolerant against.
I was being heavily sarcastic there.  Of course, opinions based essentially on nothing should be met with incredulity, if not openly mocked.  I support the sort of conversational intolerance that Sam Harris advocates.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 09, 2020, 04:53:13 AM

I hate all Internet posters.  Prove me wrong! ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Right.  And conveniently, the "worldview" defense can be used for anything and everything.  Disease is caused by demons.  2 + 2 = 5.  The world is a mote in a giant's eye.  All are equally valid worldviews which should be afforded respect simply because some people believe them.  Wouldn't want to be intolerant, right?

This is why the hubbub since the 80s about the Fairness Doctrine in the US, from 1949 to 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

Equal-Time Rule only dealt with political candidates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule

The Equal-Time Rule still applies, but in practice means that only the D-R duopoly gets coverage.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

And that is why in GB, Islam gets a walk on their shit, but no other religion does.  Islam kills you if you object ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2020, 07:42:12 AM
The argument from ignorance is pretty much what all religious thinking centers around.  It is so old and so common that it is nothing less than boring.  It is stupid and self righteous.  It is hubris.

Almost no American understands money.  They shouldn't be allowed to use it.  And yes, I am mocking Americans in general (not you in particular).  On the other hand, mocking some people will get you beat up or killed ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Paolo

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 08, 2020, 08:43:20 AM
Yeah, you are too gullible.

Thanks for both the confirmation and the insult! ;)

However, I was more impressed by the comments below the video rather than the video itself (which I didn't even watch properly). I guess I still have some years before I reach Carl Sagan-level of skepticism.

Sorry if I wasted everybody's time. :(
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Baruch

Quote from: Paolo on May 09, 2020, 11:03:12 PM

However, I was more impressed by the comments below the video rather than the video itself (which I didn't even watch properly). I guess I still have some years before I reach Carl Sagan-level of skepticism.

You are being more thin skinned than gullible.  Relax, enjoy the ride.  I often find the comments below a video to be the most interesting too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Paolo on May 09, 2020, 11:03:12 PM

Sorry, Paolo, I didn't really mean to insult you.  My comment was more of a matter of fact type statement.  Read Skeptic magazine for awhile, it will sharpen your skeptic ability.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Paolo

Quote from: Baruch on May 09, 2020, 11:06:54 PM
You are being more thin skinned than gullible.  Relax, enjoy the ride.  I often find the comments below a video to be the most interesting too.

Thank you.

Paolo

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2020, 11:10:35 PM
Sorry, Paolo, I didn't really mean to insult you.  My comment was more of a matter of fact type statement.  Read Skeptic magazine for awhile, it will sharpen your skeptic ability.

Ok.

Baruch

Back in the day, most Americans were going to Church on Sunday, and had fried chicken after worship.  This was nearly fatal to me and my family, back in the late 90s, because on a hot summer day, after worship and eating a Sunday meal including fried chicken, at the local cafe, the chicken tended to make me fall asleep while I was driving home ;-(  Some people just aren't up for nostalgia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.